Middle East countries censor internet

Shahzad

*!*!*!*! shud be blocked in any case. They shud think abt allowuing sites like news websites and some funny stuff so that ppl can make some thing out of internet

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
a degree of censorship is actually good ... the bad on the net is far greater than the good

in the West they monitor these websites and if someone stumble on them s/he gets arrested and charged ... I'd prefer the ME approach

its a very good thing they did that....the internet has too many bad things rather than good 1s....very good step in my opinion...they should take that step in all muslim countries!~

taxhonesty

Info Warrior
censorship is a step towards totalitarianism. You might say hey blocking *!*!*!*!ographic websites is a good thing. Unfortunately censorship, if allowed, will never stop and eventually something like this would be banned. More freedom=good, more censorship=bad. I would like to have freedom to screw up as well that is how you learn. Finally all the arguments for censorship I have seen thus far are the same type of arguments used liars, tyrants, and sycophants.

q8penpals

Salam

Yes, there is good and bad - the problem is all the exceptions. For instance, I am in Kuwait and a lot of health websites get blocked (inadvertently, I hope) because of individual words (try having students research fund raisers for breast cancer research and there are quite a few sites blocked).

True immoral websites (the naughty sex ones) should be blocked, but I don't believe that asking for the freedom of speech (which is what many people try to hail with regard to some of the crap) includes nasty pictures & sites. I feel everyone should be able to criticize their own government (this is illegal in Kuwait - you will be arrested for speaking publically against the leaders) and ask for changes in an appropriate manner. I feel that everyone should be able to speak their opinion on many topics, religion included. But I don't believe that saying/posting pictures of anything at all that comes to your mind, is what the whole idea of freedom of speech means (the whole, you can't cry FIRE in a crowded theater idea).

I think parents should be the first and biggest censor for children, but that they should educate their children WHY they are censoring some items. When you make something totally forbidden without explaining why, that makes it more enticing for kids to look for things, to check them out. Then when they understand (if parents educated them well), the problems will be less when they grow and can see for themselves that some of the crap on the internet belongs to a deviant portion of society that they do not wish to be associated with.

My 2 cents

Lana

taxhonesty

Info Warrior
well I am probably not going to convince anyone here that even mild forms of censorship is bad. I will leave with this may the chains of your bondage sit lightly upon you.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
:salam2:
Facebook and most blogging sites are blocked in syria, but the middle east isn't the only culprit, canada has banned aljazeera english :(

taxhonesty

Info Warrior
:salam2:
Facebook and most blogging sites are blocked in syria, but the middle east isn't the only culprit, canada has banned aljazeera english :(

I know it is terrible. I am against any censorship anywhere and everywhere.