Migraine while fasting

Waseem203

Young Muslim
Salam.

School just finished for me ( first day of High School ) and my mom is trying to tell me that I shouldn't fast during School days, fast weekends and make them up while your away from school. But i've been getting really bad headaches, the ones that you don't notice you have until you shake your head. Now im writing to you while my head is rumbling, I cant take advil because it would break my fast, so I'm out of solutions and this is killing me. Anyone know what to do?

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Assalamualaikum

:bismillah1:

No, I am so bad at cures. But if you have the time, just take rest. get some sleep.

May Allah take away all your pain for the sake of your intention to fast during this Holy Month. Aameen. May Allah restore your health. Aameen.

Assalamualaikum

a_brother

Make dua for us all
Asalamo Alaikom brother Waseem :)

best to check with an imam close by!

usually, that's normal if your not used to fasting... first days are usually the toughest!

I got cold now for 4 days (started 1 day before ramadan), and my head feels like a BIG BALLOon. I feel like someone is pounding on my head...LOL, but, AlhamduliLah... for some reason, i like this feelings as it makes me appreciate good health... May Allah make it easy on us and accept our fasting...

He gets severe headaches during Ramadaan
I got a severe headache during Ramadaan because of toothache. Can I take pills when I am fasting?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Severe headaches are one of the reasons for which it is permissible to break the fast in Ramadaan, especially as fasting is something that makes the headache worse. So there is nothing wrong with the one who is affected by that breaking his fast in order to take medicine, and he may eat and drink to take away that pain. But he has to make up the days that he did not fast after Ramadaan is over, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

It says in al-Jawharah al-Nubayrah (Hanafi) (1/142): The sick person for whom it is permissible to break the fast if fasting will make his fever worse or increase the pain in his eyes or head. End quote.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/108414/fasting headache

What is the sickness which permits a fasting person to break his fast?
What is the sickness which permits a fasting person to break his fast in Ramadaan? Is it permissible to break the fast for any sickness even if it is minor?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Most of the scholars – including the four imams – are of the view that the sick person is not allowed to break his fast in Ramadaan unless the sickness is severe.

What is meant by severe sickness is:

1- The sickness will be made worse by fasting

2- Recovery will be delayed by fasting

3- Fasting will cause intense hardship, even if it does not make the sickness worse or delay recovery

4- The scholars also included those who fear that they may become sick because of fasting.

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Mughni (4/403):

The kind of sickness in which it is permitted to break the fast is intense sickness which will be made worse by fasting or it is feared that recovery will be delayed. It was said to Ahmad: When can the sick person break his fast? He said, When he unable to fast. It was said, Such as a fever? He said, What sickness is worse than fever?

The healthy person who fears that he may become sick if he fasts is like the sick person who fears that his sickness may get worse, they are both permitted to break their fasts, because the sick person is permitted to break his fast because of the fear that his fasting may make his sickness worse and last for longer, and the fear that fasting may cause sickness is similar to that.

Al-Nawawi said in al-Majmoo’, 6/261:

The person who is unable to fast because of a sickness which he hopes will go away is not obliged to fast… This applies if he encounters obvious difficulty in fasting and is not subject to the condition that he reaches a point when he is unable to fast. Rather our companions said: The permission not to fast is subject to the condition that fasting causes him difficulties that it is hard for him to bear.”

Some of the scholars were of the view that it is permissible for every sick person to break his fast and that it is not essential that fasting cause them hardship.

This is an odd view which was rejected by the scholars.

Al-Nawawi said:

With regard to the person who is slightly sick and who does not suffer any obvious hardship, it is not permissible for him to break his fast, and there is no difference of opinion among us concerning that.

Al-Majmoo’, 6/261

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

The sick person who is not affected by fasting, such as one who has a slight cold or headache, or a slight toothache and the like, is not permitted to break his fast. Even though some of the scholars allow that because of the verse (interpretation of the meaning):

“…and whoever is ill …”

[al-Baqarah 2:185],

we say that the ruling mentioned in this verse is connected to a condition, which is when breaking the fast will relieve him of hardhsip, but if fasting does not affect him, then it is not permissible for him to break the fast, and he has to fast.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 6/352.
Islam Q&A

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/12488/fasting headache

samiha

---------
Staff member
Salam.

School just finished for me ( first day of High School ) and my mom is trying to tell me that I shouldn't fast during School days, fast weekends and make them up while your away from school. But i've been getting really bad headaches, the ones that you don't notice you have until you shake your head. Now im writing to you while my head is rumbling, I cant take advil because it would break my fast, so I'm out of solutions and this is killing me. Anyone know what to do?

Wa alaykum salaam,

I dont think that's correct at all. Simply because fasting is obligatory on all of us, and that is not a reason you cannot fast (meaning having school). Therefore, my suggestion would be to have Sabr insha'Allah.

Remember for every deed, for every pain your sins are expiated, so knowing that try your best to bear with it. I get headaches too, not the kind that you notice when you shake your head, but the kind that tell you loud and clear by playing drums across your temples and constrict your entire forehead, moreover, I get them not just when I'm fasting but pretty much everyday though sometimes not as badly. But I guess it's something that goes with being human. As my mother says in general, "If you have a head then of course you'll get a headache" (This is translated so it sounds funny but basically it means, with the blessings of having a head etc you have to take the whole package which may include headaches)

Anyways, you can try other remedies insha'Allah.. In the Medicine of the Prophet :saw: it mentions how he :saw: would also get headaches, and his method of dealing with them was to tie a piece of cloth around his head, among other things they said...

It's on Page 106 the chapter of headaches and you can get the download here: Healing with the Medicine of the Prophet

But other then that not much I can say, I sympathize with you but I definitely think you can still do it, except maybe if it keeps getting worse and worse in which case I think you'd have to look into your situation yourself and ask someone knowledgeable, mine is only an opinion.

wasalam

islamisgreat

welcome brothers and sisters

asalamu alykom my brother or sister,i am also 17 years of age and today was my first day of school as well...its was very difficult for me too but allah shall give me the strength i need, also this website and other things motivate me to continue fasting and go to mosque.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
:salam2:

An advice from an "older" sister :) : Eat properly at Iftar, after Iftar and for Suhoor insh'Allah! Don't forget u r busy during the day and need energy insh'Allah! Make du'a,insh'Allah everything will be better in the next days insh'Allah!

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
salaams.

Perhaps you are dehydrated, you might want to try drinking a lot of water before fast begins. I find this helps me a lot.

In the UK there is a medicine for headaches that is in a bottle (like a deodorant) that you can roll across your head, I am sure in America they have this as you guys get these things before us!

If you are getting migraines (the real thing, not just a bad headche) then I do suggest paying a poor due.

I used to suffer from migraines as a teenager and would sometimes suffer for 3 days continuously and they were agony! If you are vomiting as a result from the pain, which is common with migraines then surely that is causing incredible hardship.

Waseem203

Young Muslim
Thanks for your input guys, it got better for a bit and now its coming back. It could just be because the days are long in September. Every time I come home fasting i'm pampered with "shatar" :) from my parents. I hope it will get better as I get used to fasting in this hot weather, salam!

magowana

What is the best way to get rid of a severe migraine? I have severe migraines everyday. I wake up it's there, I go to sleep it's still there. For the past 6 years I have lived with a migraine that never goes away. I've tried all of the major OTCs and prescription medications for headaches and nothing ever works. If there is some odd, non-medication treatment (besides accupuncture which failed to work for me) that you've tried and it worked for you please let me know.