Mobile Phones - Curse of the Modern Age

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Asalaamu Alaikkum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Sorry for posting a negative thread but this is my rant and rave for today!

This is about people who do not turn off their mobile phones or even make it silent inside the masjid. Every single prayer at least one mobile goes off as if satan is saying "ha ha ha I've made you lose concentration fools". To make matters worse there are mobile phones going off at fajr prayer... 4.30 in the morning? Who in their right mind will call somebody at that hour?

There are sings posted outside as well as inside the masjid to turn the mobile phones off. It's like nobody even sees them.

There were times when even the imam used to announce, before prayer, to turn these things off but do people take any notice? NO.

Actualy, I've only ever found a mcbile phone useful ONCE in my life, that was when my car broke down and I had to call for the recovery people.

There I feel much better now. LOL

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
wa alaikum asalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

I have such a fear of it being my phone that goes off that I will not pray unless I checked it is off (or at least on silent), but even so I will forget once in a while. Alhamdulillah it wasn't me yet.

Even you remind someone, next time it will be someone else. Maybe ranting is the answer on this one. Allahumma 'alim

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum,

I kind of agree! I remember when I did Umrah as a young boy and mobile phones were like giant bricks which only the super rich had. My brother was approached by a guard inside Makkah, and had his small audio recorder confiscated quite harshly! I was 11 and had a casio prayer compass watch, and a dozen kids crowded around to see it. In the time after Ramadan season had finished, it was easy to do tawaf next to the ka'bah and be able to touch/kiss the hajr al aswad with each circumbulation. Not that many towering hotels or consumerism either. Times have changed.

.. 4.30 in the morning? Who in their right mind will call somebody at that hour?

Me!! I called a friend yesterday, and he called me back, and it was 3:00am for him. But he is in California and I am in the UK. It is not normal, and I had forgotten the time difference!

This is either cute, or will get on your nerves:

I think the child would not do this, unless he was trained to do so.. and that really is not good for khushoo', especially if he is running in front of the man. Still quite funny.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Asalaamu Alaikkum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu
4.30 in the morning? Who in their right mind will call somebody at that hour?
Wa`alaikum salaam warahmatullaahi wabarakaatuh.

Sorry I have to pick on you for this one as well, but lots of people akhy. We usually get calls from my mom and family back home between the hours of midnight to 3 in the morning, it's normal if you live on the opposite sides of the world.
Actually, I've only ever found a mobile phone useful ONCE in my life, that was when my car broke down and I had to call for the recovery people.
Subhaanallaah, I can't imagine my life without a phone. Life was much simpler when I didn't have one, yes, but I would be in big trouble with many, many people if I'm phone-less. Plus, gotta uphold the ties of kinship and the only way is through the phone these days... walhamdulillah `alaa kulli haal as it's said.

Anyhow, you have to learn to be patient with people, brother. You've seen so many annoying and irritating things at that masjid but people aren't perfect and they won't be as you wish them to be, that's just life. But just keep reminding them and hope for ajr from Allaah inshaa'Allaah.
I remember when I did Umrah as a young boy and mobile phones were like giant bricks which only the super rich had. My brother was approached by a guard inside Makkah, and had his small audio recorder confiscated quite harshly! I was 11 and had a casio prayer compass watch, and a dozen kids crowded around to see it.
I remember being fascinated with the little flip phones when they came out. I was like "you can take pictures on that? So cool!!"

W.salam

Yes, Cellphones are starting to become issues nowadays in the masjid. The worst off all things, it when salat finishes the first thing we do is check for any missed call. Atleast make dua or do tasbeeh before LOL.

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
W.salam

Yes, Cellphones are starting to become issues nowadays in the masjid. The worst off all things, it when salat finishes the first thing we do is check for any missed call. Atleast make dua or do tasbeeh before LOL.

You are right bro but I don't know why you are LOL?

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Asalaamu Alaikkum

A funny thing just happened to me and I thought I'd share it here.

Just finished Ishaa prayer and right next to me was an old uncle (I don't know why I call him that I'm not a spring chicken myself) he finished his sunna and naifl quickly then sat down and the first thing he did was take out his mobile phone (which looked very smart) and started to play with it. After I finished I had a quiet word in his ear like and he smiled a guilty smile.

This proves that these modern contraptions have taken over our lives, doesn't it?

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
I think the child would not do this, unless he was trained to do so.. and that really is not good for khushoo', especially if he is running in front of the man. Still quite funny.

What's not good for Khushoo' is having a video camera in your face. I would fear that kid falling head-first while I made rukuh, would at least hold his hand. And so, I can understand why you're saying it looks like it's been perfected with practice ... but then again, I think climbing is the most natural thing a lil Muslim does. We've all had that, I am sure. I've seen kids do, and get up to, the most absurd things while someone is praying. Recently, just as I began my Fardh prayer, my nephew emptied an entire Gucci bottle of perfume on me and my prayer mat, and by the end of my four rakaahs, I was coughing and sneezing like I'd inhaled a tonne of dust. And not to mention like I'd devoured a pot of curry ... that Gucci smells so much like Garam Masala.

Last edited: