Moderation in Worship

Enas

Allah, the Exalted, says:

"Ta-Ha. We have not sent down the Qur'an unto you (O Muhammad (PBUH)) to cause you distress". (20:1,2)

"Allah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you". (2:185)

Enas

. Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) came in when a woman was sitting beside me. He asked me, "Who is she?'' I said: "She is the one whose performance of Salat (prayer) has become the talk of the town.'' Addressing her, he (PBUH) said, "(What is this!) You are required to take upon yourselves only what you can carry out easily. By Allah, Allah does not withhold His Mercy and forgiveness of you until you neglect and give up (good works). Allah likes the deeds best which a worshipper can carry out constantly". [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Enas

Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Three men came to the houses of the wives of the Prophet (PBUH) to inquire about the worship of the Prophet (PBUH). When they were informed, they considered their worship insignificant and said: "Where are we in comparison with the Prophet (PBUH) while Allah has forgiven his past sins and future sins". One of them said: "As for me, I shall offer Salat all night long.'' Another said: "I shall observe Saum (fasting) continuously and shall not break it". Another said: "I shall abstain from women and shall never marry". The Prophet (PBUH) came to them and said, "Are you the people who said such and such things? By Allah, I fear Allah more than you do, and I am most obedient and dutiful among you to Him, but still I observe fast and break it; perform Salat and sleep at night and take wives. So whoever turns away from my Sunnah does not belong to me". [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Enas

Ibn Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "Ruined are those who insist on hardship in matters of the Faith.'' He repeated this three times. [Muslim]

Enas

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "The religion (of Islam) is easy, and whoever makes the religion a rigour, it will overpower him. So, follow a middle course (in worship); if you can't do this, do something near to it and give glad tidings and seek help (of Allah) at morn and at dusk and some part of night". [Al-Bukhari]

Enas

Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) came into the mosque and noticed a rope stretched between two poles. He enquired, "What is this rope for?'' He was told: "This is Zainab's rope. When during her voluntary prayer, she begins to feel tired, she grasps it for support". The Prophet (PBUH) said, "Untie it. You should perform prayers so long as you feel active. When you feel tired, you should go to sleep". [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith deals with the following three points:

1. It forbids undue strictness and taking support of anything in the course of Salat.

2. If wrong can be corrected by hand, it must be stopped immediately.

3. One should be moderate in `Ibadah and select such times for optional and voluntary prayers when one feels real pleasure in them.

147. `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "When one of you feels drowsy during prayer, let him lie down till drowsiness goes away from him, because when one of you performs prayers while feeling sleepy, he does not know whether he seeks forgiveness or abuses himself". [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

148. Jabir bin Samurah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I used to perform prayer with the Prophet (PBUH) and his Salat was of a moderate length and his Khutbah too was moderate in length. [Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith tells us that Imam should neither lengthen the Salat nor give a long Khutbah in the congregational Salat because both of these things are not according to the practice of the Prophet (PBUH).

149. Abu Juhaifah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) made a bond of brotherhood between Salman and Abud-Darda'. Salman paid a visit to Abud-Darda' and found Umm Darda' (his wife) dressed in shabby clothes and asked her why she was in that state. She replied: "Your brother Abud-Darda' is not interested in (the luxuries of) this world. In the meantime Abud-Darda' came in and prepared a meal for Salman. Salman requested Abud-Darda' to eat (with him) but Abud-Darda' said: "I am fasting.'' Salman said: "I am not going to eat unless you eat.'' So, Abud-Darda' ate (with Salman). When it was night and (a part of the night passed), Abud-Darda' got up (to offer the night prayer) but Salman asked him to sleep and Abud-Darda' slept. After some time Abud-Darda' again got up but Salman asked him to sleep. When it was the last hours of the night, Salman asked him to get up and both of them offered (Tahajjud) prayer. Then Salman told Abud-Darda': "You owe a duty to your Rubb, you owe a duty to your body; you owe a duty to your family; so you should give to every one his due. Abud-Darda' came to the Prophet (PBUH) and reported the whole story. Prophet (PBUH) said, "Salman is right". [Al-Bukhari].

Commentary: This Hadith highlights the following points:

1. Although the performance of voluntary prayers (Nawafil) is highly meritorious, it should not be done at the cost of obligations for, in this case, they loose their merits and are disliked by Allah.

2. The right time for Tahajjud (optional prayers at night) is the last third part of the night. The reason being that in the first two portions of the night, one should take rest and perform his conjugal duties.

3. Voluntary fasting can be broken (for valid reasons) without any expiation.

4. It is permissible to establish fraternity on the basis of Deen, and when this is established, the families so affiliated can associate with each other.

5. Muslims must provide right guidance to each other.

6. In case of need, it is permissible to speak to an unknown woman while observing the teachings of the Prophet (PBUH) in this regard, such as lowering the gaze and be as brief as possible.

150. `Abdullah bin `Amr bin Al-`as (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) was informed that I said that I would perform prayers the whole night and observe fasting every day as long as I live. Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Is it you who said this?'' I said to him, "O Messenger of Allah! I ransom you with my parents, it is I who said that.'' Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "You will not be able to do that. Observe fast and break it; sleep and get up for prayer, and observe fast for three days during the month; for every good is multiplied ten times and that will be equal to fasting the whole year.'' I said, "O Messenger of Allah! I can do more than that.'' He said, "Observe fast one day and leave off the next two days.'' I said, "O Messenger of Allah! I have strength to do more

Enas

Subhnallah look at how much they worked to worship Allah. Now a days people are so lazy and ungrateful they won't even lift a finger in worship

Enas

feels drowsy during prayer, let him lie down till drowsiness goes away from him, because when one of you performs prayers while feeling sleepy, he does not know whether he seeks forgiveness or abuses himself". [Al-Bukhari and Muslim