Morocco's state airline BAN praying at their offices

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

Just one of our so called Islamic Countries.
I am here in west and I get the time to pray. Still people want to move to so called Islamic countries?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6120324.stm

Morocco's state airline Royal Air Maroc has banned its staff praying at their offices and headquarters

The company says that in the past its workers have abused the privilege of praying, by taking too much time away from their desks and their customers. But the airline's workers as well as Islamist politicians say it is part of a crackdown on their religious freedom Praying is one of the five pillars of Islam and regarded as a crucial part of a Muslim's way of life.

The state airline, partly owned by the Moroccan royal family, is a great source of pride and prestige in the countryBut this latest move threatens to exacerbate divisions in Morocco.

Workers say that they have been banned from praying at work and that a number of prayer rooms have been closed and that they are forbidden from going to the mosque during work hours.

The company would not give an interview but issued a statement saying that while there is no official ban on praying, they had to do something to stop people taking lengthy breaks away from work.

But critics say the issue of praying, like the veil, is part of a more sinister move to rob the country of its Islamic roots.

Political

"I feel very angry about this decision," says Moustapha Aramid from the Islamic Party for Justice and Development.

"Moroccans have had their liberty and their religious freedom taken away from them. It is very damaging. Royal Air Morocco obviously has absolutely no respect for Islam."

Analysts say the ban on prayers is really a political move aimed at stamping out radical Islamism.

When an alleged terrorist cell - Ansar el-Mehdi - was broken up earlier this year - two of the suspects charged were the wives of two Royal Air Morocco pilots.

There is a feeling that the company had to do something to respond.

Other complaints from airline staff are that pilots and stewards were not allowed to fast during the month of Ramadan and that female staff are not allowed to wear the veil - although that has been an unwritten rule at many companies for several years.

These issues are becoming a focal point for some very hard questions being asked of this moderate Arabic country - something that is causing serious friction between liberals and traditionalists.

:salam2: :hawla:

Mashkuran

Salam,
it makes me so angry and sad to see such thing happening in an ISLAMIC country.... so tell us if we get treated like this by our own brothers what will others who are agaist us do to us?????? sad very sad

samiha

---------
Staff member
Yes, I do want to move to an Islamic country. Look, no country is perfect and no leader is either. Now, THEY meaning the leaders will be accounted for the laws against Islam they make. Not me.

But yet it does make me angry and sad hearing about this.

T

TearfulEyes

Reading these stories makes me sick. There are non-Muslim rulers in Islam countries, under Muslim disguise.

islampeace13

im moroccan and i live in morocco too....yes what u said is true and i feel so shamed to hear that about my country but this is reality and there are worse than that .......................

salaam alikom

Just one of our so called Islamic Countries.
I am here in west and I get the time to pray. Still people want to move to so called Islamic countries?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6120324.stm

Morocco's state airline Royal Air Maroc has banned its staff praying at their offices and headquarters

The company says that in the past its workers have abused the privilege of praying, by taking too much time away from their desks and their customers. But the airline's workers as well as Islamist politicians say it is part of a crackdown on their religious freedom Praying is one of the five pillars of Islam and regarded as a crucial part of a Muslim's way of life.

The state airline, partly owned by the Moroccan royal family, is a great source of pride and prestige in the countryBut this latest move threatens to exacerbate divisions in Morocco.

Workers say that they have been banned from praying at work and that a number of prayer rooms have been closed and that they are forbidden from going to the mosque during work hours.

The company would not give an interview but issued a statement saying that while there is no official ban on praying, they had to do something to stop people taking lengthy breaks away from work.

But critics say the issue of praying, like the veil, is part of a more sinister move to rob the country of its Islamic roots.

Political

"I feel very angry about this decision," says Moustapha Aramid from the Islamic Party for Justice and Development.

"Moroccans have had their liberty and their religious freedom taken away from them. It is very damaging. Royal Air Morocco obviously has absolutely no respect for Islam."

Analysts say the ban on prayers is really a political move aimed at stamping out radical Islamism.

When an alleged terrorist cell - Ansar el-Mehdi - was broken up earlier this year - two of the suspects charged were the wives of two Royal Air Morocco pilots.

There is a feeling that the company had to do something to respond.

Other complaints from airline staff are that pilots and stewards were not allowed to fast during the month of Ramadan and that female staff are not allowed to wear the veil - although that has been an unwritten rule at many companies for several years.

These issues are becoming a focal point for some very hard questions being asked of this moderate Arabic country - something that is causing serious friction between liberals and traditionalists.

:salam2: :hawla:

:salam2:
I read news on Aljazeera Tv which says that the owners of Royal Air Maroc refuted the information and said that nobody prevented someone to pray and also no passenger was forced to break the fast in Ramadan in Royal Air Maroc's flights.
So who knows perhaps rivals of Royal Air Maroc are the ones who spread this information because, sincerely, as i know Royal Air Maroc are the best also their pilots. And as i know too, i think that Royal Air Maroc as company reached the 6th rank in the world between all international companies.

:wasalam:

muslimguy

I'm a muslim from Morocco living in the US, and man it is really devastating hearing and seing such things hapening in the Islamic world.
lately I was told that the young brothers who have beards get harassed from the authorities in the streets of Morocco and there was some arrests too. I'm here and never, at least in my face, had any problem with anyone concerning my faith or beard.
I can't imagine what would my reaction be if I get some stupid comments from anyone while walking in the streets of Morocco or any Muslim countries?
may Allah guide Us to the right path and bring some of the real khalilfas to change the situation of this UMMA. Ameen

Roemaysa

Ya RAbbbb!!!

I am either from Morocco but I live in Holland. Ik am really shamed.... for everything... I am not happy to read this and I really hope that everything will change... What I know is that you may not were a Hijaab in Tunis.... thats is terribel....

How can islamic country's have this rules... I think that all islamic leaders are terribel.... they don't follow the rules of islam.... They just do what Bush say's!

Astagfiruallah!

Wassalaam,

Roemaysa

OmarTheFrench

Its worse

In this article a Moroccan journalist ask if :"its again necessary for the Muslims do the Ramadan"

Astaghfirullah,He forgets that its a pillar of Islam.

These people who prefer the materialism which they call "modernism" that the path of Allah in Islam country its incomprehensible.:angryred:

Abderrahman

we are truly on air

:astag:
If this happens to be true, then (RAM) must think twice before taking any decision like that. It is really shocking and unexceptable to derive Muslims in their own country from practicing their religion freely.. No body has the right to oblige people to stay off their religion. :salah: :hijabi:
I hope that RAM will solve this problem properly.
I say to my brothers stand up for your right and never give up the fight.
May Allah help to gain this battle in cha allah.

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
I read news on Aljazeera Tv which says that the owners of Royal Air Maroc refuted the information and said that nobody prevented someone to pray and also no passenger was forced to break the fast in Ramadan in Royal Air Maroc's flights.
So who knows perhaps rivals of Royal Air Maroc are the ones who spread this information because, sincerely, as i know Royal Air Maroc are the best also their pilots. And as i know too, i think that Royal Air Maroc as company reached the 6th rank in the world between all international companies.

:wasalam:

walikom salaam
I am not debating just for the sake of infor.
hmmm who own the RAM ?
The Moroccan government owns 95.95% of the airline and Air France 2.86%. The government intends to partially privatise the airline through the sale of a 25% holding. Royal Air Maroc has 5,719 employees.

and its not 6th in the world.

on other hand I wont compelelty put the blam on the Airline, even though what they did is wrong but a lot of Muslim brother use the prayer excuse for long breaks, which is wrong from religion point. if we Muslim follow our religion as it should be we would never never face these kind of trouble.

aliff

Assalamu A'laikum

its shocking to hear this :(, when i told this news to my friend .. he kinda said it might be france doing it :S, it all started with france (bann of hijab)..then tunisia, morocco. ironically some of these countries were under france for a long time.. can france have something to do with it :confused: