mother in law

Julie1134

As'salamu alaikum,
I want to start off by saying that my husband took shahada 2 days ago alhamdulillah! I am a convert as well.

There is a situation that I need guidance on. My husband pays all of his mothers bills. She has a small job and makes some money, but she spends it all on alcohol. How can I go about this problem? Should he continue to pay her bills which in return allows her to buy alcohol? Is this haram for him to continue doing? This is the only place I have to come for answers so I hope this is ok to post. :tti_sister:

hassana elkoussi

Salam alaikum sister,

Alhamdulillah, I'm so glad that ur husband has converted too. I was really worried u'd carry on ur life together without his conversion. Congratulations to both of u.

As for your question, I'm afraid ur husband cannot pay his mother's bills anymore as long as u know that they're used in buying alcohol. In fact, it's as if he himself is purchasing it. Alcohol is one of the major sins and leads to Allah's curse on the one who drinks it , puchases it, carries it, sits at the same table with someone who's drinking it. And the word curse means in Islam being deprived of the mercy of Allah swt.

I think he should explain the whole situation first, in the hope that she'll be understanding. If she doesn't then he's not supposed to do anything that leads to a curse. And there's a hadith which forbids obeying someone in a certain matter that involves disobedience to the Creator.

Hope this helps inshaAllah and may Allah make things easy for both of you.

Salam :hearts:

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o aliakum
Mashallah this is such great news that ur husband has converted :) like literally it brings your TTI family so much happiness :) this is very big news.

sister, this is the closest fatwa i can find close to your situation

May Allah (swt) fullfill your and ur families life with happiness and Allah (swt) blessing- ameen

Helping someone to buy alcohol and other haraam things
What is the ruling on a Muslim who knowingly assists another "Muslim" by lending him money to buy alcohol or provides the means of transportation to buy cigarretes ,etc.?.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible to help a kaafir or a Muslim to buy alcohol or to do any other evil or sinful thing. The one who does that is a loser and a sinner. Allaah forbade that in the Qur’aan, when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“Help you one another in Al-Birr and At-Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression”

[al-Maa’idah 5:2]

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed ten types of people with regard to alcohol.

It was narrated that Anas ibn Maalik said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed ten types of people with regard to alcohol: the one who presses (the grapes, etc), the one for whom that is done, the one who drinks it, the one who carries it, the one to whom it is carried, the one who offers itut, the one who sells it, the one who consumes its price, the one who buys it and the one for whom it is bought.

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1259; Ibn Maajah, 3381. This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, no. 1041

So whoever drinks alcohol or helps someone else to do so deserves the curse narrated in this hadeeth. So it is not permissible for you to help anyone to drink alcohol or to commit any other haraam action.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/9411/buying alcohol

Julie1134

Salam

As'salamu alaikum,
Thanks to everyone for the advice I now have an understanding of the situation. :hijabi:

SwordofAllah16

Heros of Islam
:salam2:

Sister Julie Alhamdulillah you don't know how happy i feel, but also you've reminded me so much of the mercy of a Allah. This is truly amazing, you and your husband have both been guided to Islam May Allah give you both Jannatul firdous and may He love you both for every drop of water in the seas over the world.

Oh and i'm really sorry about your mother in Law but i think now that you 2 are in Islam she will see it's beauty more clearly (whenever she's sober), continue on being good examples to her...especially you sister because your a woman so show her how beautiful women in Islam are, in charecter, attitudes and values, and intellect.

Hope that makes sense

rightpath_357

sis- i'm in a it of a hurry- but it's like this- ur husband should support his mom, but only give her enough money 4 what she actually needs if she's going to spend all the extra money on alchohl