Question: Mothers curses

A

abdi_always

I have loving parents, Alhamdulilah!
They've always taken good care of me and have given me the best.
However, my mother has a short (and unreasonable) temper alongwith a loose tongue.
One day, she was mad at my behavior and she as usual ended up saying things no daughter would want to hear. Basically she cursed alot and said hurtful things (mostly revolving around my marriage). It hurt me alot but I kept faith in Allah's mercy. Life moved on.
Yesterday, I heard a lecture by a renowned sheikh who talked about mothers curses. He spoke about how a very very pious man ended up unintentionally hurting his mother who cursed him and it came true. The sheikh stressed upon how even a pious man couldn't escape the curse of a mother.
This has gotten me upset all over again. I'm now of marriageable age and everything scares me. Im starting to doubt my own life and thinking whether things are already going wrong or are yet to get terrible.
But my mother prays for me everyday and she is most concerned about me and makes dua for me too.
My question is whether something my mother said in a huge fit of rage still affect me, even though she prays for my well-being?

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Assalaamu `alaika warahmatullaah, ukhty (Abdi? what an unusual name for a sister btw). Welcome to the site. :)

Alhamdulillaah for our parents, many others have been orphans but Allaah `azza wa jalla has blessed with either both or one of our parents and that's a gift worth treasuring. Alhamdulillaah.

I can imagine what you're saying, quite many parents have those "moments". And that's something we won't really understand 'till we become parents ourselves subhaanallaah. May Allaah help our parents to do good and treat their children with love and care.
One day, she was mad at my behavior and she as usual ended up saying things no daughter would want to hear
Well then maybe, sister, you can help her by being on your best behavior around her. Not that I'm saying you misbehave, don't get me wrong, but she's your mom and you know best what she likes and what she doesn't and what sort of behavior rubs her the wrong way, so you can use that to your advantage from now on inshaa'Allaah. Cook and clean for her, don't let her do too much housework, and rub her feet when she's tired, or even sometimes surprise her with a gift. But whatever you do, never ever answer her harshly when she says those hurtful things or curses you and/or glare at her to show her you're mad when she upsets you. The obedience to our parents comes second to the obedience of Allaah `azza wa jalla and his messenger :saw:. I'm sure you know the rights she has over us, even morose than our fathers. Be patient and keep being kind to her and inshaa'Allaah, things will get better.
For your question, this should suffice as an answer.
With regard to what you mention about her praying against you, if these du’aa’s are said for no good reason, they will not be accepted. It is not permissible for her to pray against you for no good reason, because of the general applicability of the Prophet’s words: “[The prayers] of any of you will be answered, so long as he does not pray for sin or the breaking of family ties.” This hadeeth indicates that if a du’aa’ includes sin, it will definitely not be answered. There is no doubt that praying against one’s child for no good reason is a sin.
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/3044

Aini Ahmed

Omg me and you have so much in common but my mother curse not only me but my sisters as well as my brothers and not only OFTEN but every SING DAY. Honestly just don't think about it too much cause at the end of the day only Allah can save you from it and at the same time I heard that Allah swt doesn't accept bad dua. I tried telling my mother to stop but she says she can't. But don't worry inshallah everything is going to be okay and I will make dua for you.

A

abdi_always

Walaikum Salaam waRahmatullaahi WaBaraakatu Janaan.
Thanks for the welcome! Appreciate the advice and comfort you've given. I adore my parents and they're truly a blessing, but like you said, everyone has those 'moments', they're insaan too after all. Nothing but du'aa comes out for my parents, no need to worry there :)
Well, Abdi is just something I made up randomly while registering. Does it not mean 'Slave'? cause that's what I was going for.

Assalamualaikum Aini, I share the concern and I know how hard-hitting it may be to witness that especially after we are all aware of the stature a mother holds in Allah's eyes. Thanks for your kind words, I read about that too but this particular lecture got me worked up. I'm calmer now, put my tawakul in Allah for he is the best to judge. AllahuAkbar.
Will make looottss of du'aa for you Aini, you're my sister in faith, in humanity and in hardship ♥

Ameen to your duas Janaan and Aini. JazakAllah Khairun!