Muhammad (PBUH) sleeping habits

Ladybug3478

Hello,

I know that Muhammad (PBUH) slept on his right side. Did he sleep on his back? Is there anything written about his sleeping habits?

Thanks

Ladybug3478

Hello,

Thanks Ayman1 and AlQurtubi.

AlQurtubi, the Sunnah information that you provided...I have a few questions. Well, I guess anyone can answer the questions.

First, I have to say the Sunnah information, even though I only skimmed through, is quite beautiful.

Questions:

1. Miswak during Wudhu: Does this mean I should brush my teeth in addition to swirling water in my mouth?

2. Who is Rasulullah?
3. Sunnah before sleeping...what should I say? I think it's only in Arabic?
4. Close door...do I have to close bedroom door or does this mean house door?
5. Turn out light: Can I have a night light for the baby and my fears :)
6. No storytelling after Esha: What is Esha? So, I guess this means no reading books to kids after this time(just want to make sure)?
7. Sleep after Salaah: What is Salaah?
8. What's Surmah? Where do I buy this?
9. Say Tasbeeh and Faatima 33times 33times and 34times: What am I suppose to say? It doesn't give the English translation.
10. #15, #16, #17, #19...what am I suppose to say...I don't see the English translation. Sorry.

And, about #19...awhhh man, I guess this means that all dishes (utensils) have to be washed and put away before going to bed. Lol. Guess I better get to work. :)

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Regards

mhamzah

:salam2:

1. Miswak during Wudhu: Does this mean I should brush my teeth in addition to swirling water in my mouth?

Rasoolillah (saaws) used to brush his teeth with Miswak every time he made wudu (ablutions) for prayers.

The Excellence of using Miswak (Tooth-Stick)
Riyad-us-Saliheen (chapter 215)

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Had I not thought it difficult for my Ummah, I would have commanded them to use the Miswak (tooth-stick) before every Salat.''[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: We learn from this Hadith that the Prophet (PBUH) liked to clean his teeth with Miswak (a softened stick used as tooth brush for cleaning the teeth) with every Salat, but he did not made it obligatory for the reason that it would be inconvenient for his followers. It shows that he was extremely affectionate and kind to his Ummah.

This Hadith also shows that using Miswak is an admirable act. Every Muslim should make it a routine to use it as frequently as possible especially before performing prayers.

More Hadiths about Miswak : http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/hadeeth/riyad/08/chap215.htm

The miswak (miswaak, siwak) is a natural toothbrush made from the twigs of the Salvadora persica tree, also known as the arak tree or the peelu tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miswak

2. Who is Rasulullah?

Rassool Allah means Messenger of Allah.

La Illah Ila Allah Muhammad Rassoul Allah (There is no God except Allah and Muhammad (pbuh) is His messenger).

3. Sunnah before sleeping...what should I say? I think it's only in Arabic?

Al-Bara' bin `Azib (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: Whenever Messenger of Allah (PBUH) went to bed, he would lie down on his right side and recite: "Allahumma aslamtu nafsi ilaika, wa wajjahtu wajhi ilaika, wa fawwadtu amri ilaika, wa 'alja'tu zahri ilaika, raghbatan wa rahbatan ilaika, la malja'a wa la manja illa ilaika. Amantu bikitabikal-ladhi anzalta, wa nabiyyikal-ladhi arsalta [O Allah! I have submitted myself to You, I have turned my face to You, committed my affairs to You, and depend on You for protection out of desire for You and out of fear of You (expecting Your reward and fearing Your punishment). There is no refuge and no place of safety from You but with You. I believed in the Book You have revealed, and in the Prophet You have sent (i.e., Muhammad (PBUH)).]''
[Al-Bukhari].

Commentary: Before going to bed, a believer revives his commitment to Faith, Islam and Allah by reciting this prayer of Messenger of Allah (PBUH). Through this practice, every night he is able to remember Allah and His Commandments amidst the activities of the day time.

What is to be said at the time of Sleeping: http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/hadeeth/riyad/04/chap127.htm

Prophet Muahmmad (pbuh) used to recite Surah Al Ikhlas and Al Muawathatein (Surah Al -Falaq and An-Naas) three times.

Surah Ikhlas (Chapter 112)

Transliteration: Qul Huwa Allāhu 'Aĥadun - He is Allah, the One and Only,

Transliteration: Allāhu Aş-Şamadu - Allah, the Eternal, Absolute.

Transliteration: Lam Yalid Wa Lam Yūlad - He neither begets nor is born,

Transliteration: Walam Yakun Lahu Kufūan 'Aĥadun - And there is none like unto Him

Surah Al - Falaq: (Chapter 113)

Transliteration: Qul 'A`ūdhu Birabbi Al-Falaqi - Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak

Transliteration: Min Sharri Mā Khalaqa - From the evil of that which He created

Transliteration: Wa Min Sharri Ghāsiqin 'Idhā Waqaba - And from the evil of darkness when it settles

Transliteration: Wa Min Sharri An-Naffāthāti Fī Al-`Uqadi - And from the evil of the blowers in knots

Transliteration: Wa Min Sharri Ĥāsidin 'Idhā Ĥasada - And from the evil of an envier when he envies."

Surah An- Naas: (Chapter 114)

Transliteration: Qul 'A`ūdhu Birabbi An-Nāsi - Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of mankind,

Transliteration: Maliki An-Nāsi - The Sovereign of mankind.

Transliteration: 'Ilahi An-Nāsi - The God of mankind,

Transliteration: Min Sharri Al-Waswāsi Al-Khannāsi - From the mischief of the Whisperer (of Evil), who withdraws (after his whisper),--

Transliteration: Al-Ladhī Yuwaswisu Fī Şudūri An-Nāsi - Who whispers [evil] into the breasts of mankind -

Transliteration: Mina Al-Jinnati Wa An-Nāsi - From among the jinn and mankind."

6. No storytelling after Esha: What is Esha?

The Isha prayer is the night-time prayer of the 5 daily prayers.

So, I guess this means no reading books to kids after this time(just want to make sure)?

I hope some one will enlighten me on this as well.

7. Sleep after Salaah: What is Salaah?

Loosely translated into English as prayer, but that’s a feeble translation, due to the fact there is no proper word in English for ‘Salah.’ Prayer means to supplicate. The word for supplication in Arabic is ‘Dua’. Dua is part of Salah but there is more to Salah. Maybe someone else can explain it more properly.

Say Tasbeeh and Faatima 33times 33times and 34times: What am I suppose to say? It doesn't give the English translation.

Tasbeeh:

1. Subhan'allah (Glory be to Allah) – repeated 33 times.
2. Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah) – repeated 33 times.
3. Allahu akbar (God is the Greatest) – repeated 34 times

:wasalam: