MUSHY WAILING

MOSABJA

Islamabad and other Pakistani cities have seen violent confrontations in recent days between security forces and lawyers, opposition political activists, and ordinary Pakistanis opposing the attempt of the country’sUS-backed military strongman, General Pervez Musharraf, to fire the head of the Supreme Court, Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry.

The Musharraf regime is enveloped by multiple crises. While the Bush administration is demanding that Islamabad do more to crush the Taliban and expects Pakistan to be on-side in any US military action against its western neighbor Iran, popular opposition to Musharraf’s complicity in US aggression is mounting. According to the findings of a recent poll conducted by Gallup Pakistan, 83 percent of Pakistanis say that in the conflict between America and Taliban, their sympathies are with the Taliban and 75 percent are opposed to the US’s use of Pakistani air bases.

Just a day before his removal, the chief justice heard a case related to “forced disappearances” of persons whom the authorities suspect of ties to Islamacist terrorist groups and expressed strong disappointment over the government’s failure to locate the whereabouts of the disappeared. Hundreds of people have reputedly been illegally abducted by shadowy security forces, held without trial, and tortured.

His decision on March 9 to suspend the Supreme Court’s chief justice, Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, on allegations of misconduct has unleashed a crisis that has left his regime struggling to survive as it faces a countrywide pro-democracy movement, with Chaudhry becoming a touchstone for those who want to see an end to military rule.

"Go Musharraf Go!" shouted the thousands gathered outside the Pakistan Supreme Court building in the nation’s capital, Islamabad, last Saturday night.

wannabe_muttaqi

A MUSLIM BROTHER
ASAK,
there is lot of chaos in Pak, may ALLAH SWT help them get out of this. As far my view goes i can see Pak disintegrating soon if this unstability continues.....the problem there is even if Musharaf steps down the other person who is replacing him will have the same attitude as Musharaf had,... as all of them are power hungry and corrupt...donno where is Pak heading towards....

PakiIdol

Brother, what I see these days is that the ppl want Musharraf to step down.Not only this, the ppl want the corruption to end now.One "small" example is that military generals in 1998 didn't fight India cuz even if Pakistan had suceeded, then the importance of army would had decreased which means the days of living in power and corruption would be over.Thus, you can say that we didn't fight for our right cuz our Generals put their self interest ahead of National interest. However, I would advice any Pakistani on this site that if you vote, vote for Imran Khan in the upcoming elections.He is the only or rather the most sincere politician we have right now. Plus, Imran's popularity has soared new and much higher heights in the last couple of months.I pray to Allah that Imran wins and InshAllah then this would not only benefit Pakistan but the followers of Islam and people of the world as a whole, InshAllah!!!!