Question: muslim name, which one to choose

Aida1

Assalamu aleikum everybody :)

There probably has been a thread about this before, but I couldn't find it, so... The question is: What did you take as your muslim name after your shahadah and why did you choose that particular name?

When I took my shahadah I didn't know which name to choose, so that line is left blank in my shahadah-paper (I don't know what this paper is called, the one which you fill out when you take your shahadah in a mosque, as proof of your shahadah).
I was already really happy with my birth-name, which meaning is 'blessed by God' (so no, my birth-name isn't Aida, I just really like that opera, so I picked it as a stagename here on the forum), so I didn't have to change it because it had a bad or non-islamic meaning. Now however, I think I'm finally ready to fill in the blank. I picked a name that just sounded like me when people say it, a name I could respond to. Luckily it also has a beautiful meaning, one of which is princess :hearts: sooooooo.....

drumdrumdrumdrumdrumroll......
- Amirah -
:D

I'm planning on using both my names in different situations, my birth-name and my islamic name :)

Now please tell me your stories, I'm really curious :D

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
Wa alaikum asalaam,

I didn't get a piece of paper with my shahada, should I have one?

My given name is difficult to pronounce to anyone who isn't proficient in English, so I wanted to choose something easy for people. I really love the Azan, so I picked Bilal after the companion of the Prophet pbuh who used to call Azan for him. Some people might still know me by that name, especially online, but I didn't really keep in touch with a lot of people, astaghfirullah.

I decided I wanted to legally change my name, and when it came to it, didn't want to take Bilal as a legal name as I have an uncle with a similar name already. For some reasons I wanted something beginning with 'H' - I looked for some ideas and thought Hassan should mean 'person who does good'. I found out later it means 'Good looking'. At least I didn't mean to call myself handsome, but it did teach me to be careful where I get information from.

Maybe I should have kept to my first idea, but it seems I made things complicated enough already.

Amirah is a beautiful name. Congratulations.

Aida1

Wa alaikum asalaam,

I didn't get a piece of paper with my shahada, should I have one?

I made sure I had a testimony of my shahadah made, so I can 'prove' I'm muslim. I've heard a lot of stories of reverts I know wanting to go on umrah or hadj, and the Saudi government doesn't believe they are muslim until they can show this paper which is signed by enough witnesses. The fact they aren't believed is of course a problem when wanting to enter Mekkah, which is only for muslims. In my case it's a paper in both Dutch and Arabic, with signatures of me and the witnesses, the shahadah, and that I testify I am a muslim, with the date of signing on it. It even includes a passport-style picture of me.

About your name, it's never too late to choose the right name I think. It took me 3,5 years since becoming muslim that I knew which name to take :) I liked a couple of names which all had good meanings, so in the end I just took the one which just felt right when I and other people said it to me :)

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
assalamu alaykum,

Mashallah sister, a very nice name! Yes, I've got the same 'piece of paper' proving I'm Muslim now alhamdulillah.

Jazakillahu khayran

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum sister,

I agree it is a good name, masha Allah. - Although my view might be biased, because I have the same name, albeit it's male equivalent - "Amir".

wasalam

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
salam 'alikum,maybe the older members will be bored from my story,but you asked to say we chose our islamic namesI. have an indian name by birth,when I went to Morocco for the first time,it was to know my husband's relatives and to get married.When I took shahada,I was really ill,take awareness that I was non-believer,then,when I admitted the existence of an only one God and testified it,my only wish to be happy was realisable only by changing my past life.My islamic name is Hayat,because I really started a new life,made of sacrifice,obedience,patience and many children:p
P.S:I've seen that each user can click on an icon which symbolyze the "poor grammatic".I'm aware of how many mistakes I've made on tti with my english,so be gentle,have pity for my poor english:oops:

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
P.S:I've seen that each user can click on an icon which symbolyze the "poor grammatic".I'm aware of how many mistakes I've made on tti with my english,so be gentle,have pity for my poor english

Wa alaikum asalaam.

I would be very sorry if TTI becomes a place to pick on people for their language ability. I'm not sure if that is unislamic, but it is definitely uncool. Better that we all share our knowledge and understanding than get involved with such pettiness. And your English is, I am sure, far better than my Italian.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaikum asalaam.

I would be very sorry if TTI becomes a place to pick on people for their language ability..

I am all ears as to what you would like to see on TTI : ) - I have some important updates lined up which will be really beneficial for us, to do with sharing new articles and videos, in sha Allah.

wasalam

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
I am all ears as to what you would like to see on TTI : )

Sometimes those nice ideas need *someone* to do lots of work, and I can't decide for others what they should do.
I could think of things, but it is difficult to say what I'd like to see as I don't know what this whizzy new toy you have can do.
Generally, I think the point is we trust you to do what you think best. It is great that you care enough to ask us.
:mashaallah:
You should tell us sometime what you would like TTI to be

wasallam