Muslim Name

Seeker_2601

I've seen that many reverts to Islam change their name. How does one go about choosing a new Muslim name? Does anyone need to officialize it like an Imam? Or does one simply choose the new name? Thanks in advance

showaib

Salam

:salam2:

I think you just change your name to a muslim name or if you like get advice from local imam about a name wat is suitable for you. but this is not necassary

shoaib

autumn

Strength in Unity
salam,

ya, most converts change their name to a muslim name..they will usually choose the name they like or the name of someone they feel has some influence or someone that is great..like Maryam the mother of Isa. about the imam part...dont know

amna_muslimaa

TRUELY MUSLIMAA
:salam2:
Poeple change there names when they convert to Isalm ...and its compulsory in case if your name is based on ''SHEERK'' and if is not then its up to you ...then its your choice .....!!!!
:wasalam:

meer suhail

ILM seeker
Asalam o Alykum Wa rehmatullah

ok thought i will post question with answer hope will help you

Obligation of changing one's name upon accepting Islaam
Is it mandatory for one who newly embraces Islaam to change his or her name?

al-hamdu lillaah.

He or she is not required to change his or her name unless it embodies the worship of someone or something other then God, Allaah. However, its amelioration by choosing a new Islamic name is legitimate and encouraged. The fact that he or she would change his or her name from a pagan or non-Islamic name to an Islamic one would be considered commendable--however, it is not mandatory.

Thus, if one's name is Abdul-Messiah, for example, or similar such names, then he is obligated to change it, as the Prophet (peace upon him) had people with the names Abdul-Ka'bah and Abdul-Uzzah change their names upon accepting Islaam.

If the original name does not comprise or imply anything forbidden in Islaam, then he or she is permitted to retain it (such as the name George, for example). As noted, though, it is preferable to change it to an Islaamic name, as this also distinguishes him or her from the kuffaar.

Note that if changing one's name in official documents and records poses a great inconvenience, it would suffice to change it among the people. In this case, he or she is called by his or her new name by friends, acquaintances, and the general public, while offical documents would retain the original given name.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: my birth name is catherine (which means pure and clean) so i did not want to do away with that. therefore, in my own personal case, i added an islamic name which appears on my certificate of shahada denoting both my birth first name, catherine, and my islamic chosen name, iman (which means faith) :) i am not sure if it is usual for reverts to get a certificate of shahada but my purpose was to have one for my wedding
many moons ago :) :wasalam: