Muslims in World Cup

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
[imgleft]http://www.islam-online.net/English/News/2006-07/08/images/pic04.jpg[/imgleft]Zidane and his successor Ribery played a key role in France's World Cup victories.
PARIS — One day before the World Cup final against Italy on Sunday, July 9, French Muslims are walking on the air with their soccer team and with superstar Muslim footballers Zinedine Zidane and Franck Ribery.

"We are proud of our French soccer team and playmaker Zinedine Zidane," Lhaj Thami Breze, chairman of the Union of French Islamic Organizations (UOIF), told IslamOnline.net.

"We are confident Les Bleus (the nickname for the French soccer team) will defeat Italy and win the World Cup," he added.
Led by legend Zidane, France will go head-to-head against Italy on Berlin's 69,000-capacity Olympic Stadium in the world tournament final on Sunday.

The French team reached the final after winning a semi-final game against Portugal 1-0 by playmaker legend and three-time FIFA World Player of the Year Zidane.

Now, the French are only 90 minutes away from the second World Cup in eight years, the crowning achievement in a decade of glory that began when France, and Zidane, reached the semi-finals of the 1996 European Championship.

France won the 1998 World Cup against Brazil 3-0, two of which scored by Zidane.

Now a global audience of 1.5 billion will focus their gaze in the final to see if the French magician can pull off one last, glorious conjuring trick.

Glory
"It is really a source of pride that Zidane is of an Arab and Muslim origin," said Samira, a female fan of Algerian origin, told IOL.
"He has contributed to make France's football glory," she added.
As France booked a final World Cup place, thousands of French fans of immigrant origin took to the streets to celebrate the French win.
"Zidane is France's president... Mercy Zidane," was among the slogans chanted by the jubilant French.

The French fans are confident that their team is going to beat the Azzurri (Italy) because they hold the skeleton key.
"We have Zidane and they (Italy) don't," French defender Willy Sagnol told Agence France-Presse (AFP) Saturday.
Marcello Lippi, Zidane's manager of the French maestro for three years at Juventus, agreed.

"Zidane is probably the best player there has been in the past 20 years," he said.

France and Italy have met five times in major tournaments, in which the French team has beaten the Azzurri three times.
Their most recent victory over the Azzurri came in the final of Euro 2000, when Italy were just 17 seconds away from winning before France equalized and David Trezeguet struck a memorable golden goal winner.

Ribery
Zidane's expected successor, Frank Ribery, has also added to the jubilance of the French Muslims.

"Seeing Ribery while raising his hands and supplicating to God as any typical Muslims do makes me feel proud," said Hamid, of Moroccan origin.

The 23-year-old Ribery has stolen the limelight during France's opener in the World Cup against Switzerland when he was caught while raising his hands and supplicating to God as any other Muslims do.
"French Muslims feel that Ribery's supplication notice is a sign of dignity and honor for the French suburbanites, most of whom are of Muslim origin," Breze added.

Ribery, who did not make his international debut until late May, is expected to start the World Cup final on Sunday against Italy.
The 23-year-old forward has brought energy and pace to a veteran lineup, his fearless runs causing panic among opposing defenders and creating regular scoring opportunities.

Named to the World Cup roster without having played in an international game, Ribery showed his value during three tune-up matches when he entered in the second half.
The Olympique Marseille right-sided winger and midfielder is believed to have reverted to Islam after marrying a Muslim women, of Moroccan origin.

Though he rarely speaks about how he found the Muslim faith, he recently told Le Paris Match magazine that he felt "safe" with Islam.
France is home to some six to seven million Muslims, the largest Muslim minority in Europe.

Franck Ribery&Zinedine Zidane

Assalamo Alaikoum
Franck Ribery is a french convert. Some people says that his wife came from moroccan origin. I found one day a blog of the sister of his wife, she mentions that they have roots from Algeria exaclty from the town called Telmcen. And also in internet some articls says that her family came from Algeria.
Franck Ribery was a victim of an accident when he has 2 years ago while he father was driving a car.
As the article said Zidane in his "age" shows people that he is one of the best in this game.
Football is a good sport and islam encourage us to have practice sport but i hope that people will not be addicted to it as a drug.
what's it's sure that football failed to solve problem about racisme etc.
Salam

3assal

im sorry to burst your bubble, but i was looking @ Zinedine Zidane's info in wikipedia and this caught my attention....

Zidane's first name is Arabic for "Ornament of the Faith", while his family name is Arabic for "Increases or Grows the Faith".

His wife, Véronique, is a former dancer and model of Spanish origin. They married in 1993 and have four sons named Enzo, Luca, Théo and Elyaz (Arabic: إلياس‎). Zidane describes himself as a "non-practicing Muslim". Despite rumor to the contrary, Zidane's father was not an harki, or Algerian supporter of French rule, something that he made clear himself.

for this reason, I was cheering for italy :) :bananabb2in: haha j/k

:salam2:

nice search

Assalamo Alaikoum
Yes i think it's true the only one who claims that he is muslim is the convert Franck Ribery. Eventhough some rumours that some other players converted but no one claims that he is muslim except Franck Ribery.
But Italia or other the problem is that people become addicted to football, and also girls and women!!!
Salam

3assal

Adil said:
Assalamo Alaikoum
Yes i think it's true the only one who claims that he is muslim is the convert Franck Ribery. Eventhough some rumours that some other players converted but no one claims that he is muslim except Franck Ribery.
But Italia or other the problem is that people become addicted to football, and also girls and women!!!
Salam

ok... I didnt understand that last part...

sorry i forgot a phrase

I mean that it's only Franck Ribery aka Bilal who said that he is muslim, so officially he's the only muslim in the french team eventhough some rumours which say that there are others muslim.
salam

3assal

Adil said:
I mean that it's only Franck Ribery aka Bilal who said that he is muslim, so officially he's the only muslim in the french team eventhough some rumours which say that there are others muslim.
salam

I understood that, i didnt get this part...

Salam

Hajar

Staff member
Adil said:
salam

Assalamu alaykum,

ohh really who are the other ones then?? I know about Ribery...

kismat1977

assalam alaikoum ,
a lot of players especially in France converted to islam , just some exemples :
phillip«Omar» Troussier, Frederic Kanoute, Julien Faubert, Nicolas Anelka, Rene Girard, Alain Perrin, Bruno etienne, Jeremie Janot et Akhenaton...i don't know if it's the same in UK

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:salam2: Zidane messed things up with the immature headbutt.. its sad he will be remembered for that and not his amazing football.

it's only my point of view and everyone is free to have an other opinion.

About convert i mean players in the french team who play actualy in it. But if you want i can tell you that Napoléon too was a convert thing which perhaps is true, not only Akhenaton...
About this phrase :
"But Italia or other the problem is that people become addicted to football, and also girls and women!!!"
- "other" mean France or any other team.
- "that people become addicted to football, and also girls and women!!!"
I think that seing football becomes an important thing in our life for evrerybody, and we all become addicted to it, men and women, this is what i mean. And in the reality i feel unconfortable with this truth.
Sorry if i am not so open minded to appreciate worldcup.
Salam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
3assal said:
im sorry to burst your bubble, but i was looking @ Zinedine Zidane's info in wikipedia and this caught my attention....

Zidane's first name is Arabic for "Ornament of the Faith", while his family name is Arabic for "Increases or Grows the Faith".

His wife, Véronique, is a former dancer and model of Spanish origin. They married in 1993 and have four sons named Enzo, Luca, Théo and Elyaz (Arabic: إلياس‎). Zidane describes himself as a "non-practicing Muslim". Despite rumor to the contrary, Zidane's father was not an harki, or Algerian supporter of French rule, something that he made clear himself.

for this reason, I was cheering for italy :) :bananabb2in: haha j/k

:salam2:

Assalamu alaykum,

man i thought he was son of an Imam.. haha, thats what i heard anyway. Although, i knew he wasnt exactly a practising Muslim we cant judge a person. But, if he says he isnt a practising Muslim then fair enough. His loss... Like you said earlier, he needs some "anger management". :biggrin:

The game was mostly France's. They had the best chances and better ball posession. But, they blew it by having all their best strikers and goal scorers taken away. I think Zidane would have inspired the team to win. His taking off deflated them....... Italy pretty poor team. Anyone could have won the World Cup this year.

Adil, i understand what you say about the world cup. I am not that crazy about it or even football. I love playing sport and doing things like this, so it kinda goes hand in hand with that, to watch the important games. Its only once every four years anyway. ... then we have Euro 2008... Champions League.. lol.

jokin As long as we make good use of our time and not waste it following every match, rumour and gossip it is Ok. Islam is easy and we keep and do things moderately inshaAllah.

wasalam

smikoq

salam u alakum

Mabsoot said:
[imgleft]http://www.islam-online.net/English/News/2006-07/08/images/pic04.jpg[/imgleft]Zidane and his successor Ribery played a key role in France's World Cup victories.
PARIS — One day before the World Cup final against Italy on Sunday, July 9, French Muslims are walking on the air with their soccer team and with superstar Muslim footballers Zinedine Zidane and Franck Ribery.

"We are proud of our French soccer team and playmaker Zinedine Zidane," Lhaj Thami Breze, chairman of the Union of French Islamic Organizations (UOIF), told IslamOnline.net.

"We are confident Les Bleus (the nickname for the French soccer team) will defeat Italy and win the World Cup," he added.
Led by legend Zidane, France will go head-to-head against Italy on Berlin's 69,000-capacity Olympic Stadium in the world tournament final on Sunday.

The French team reached the final after winning a semi-final game against Portugal 1-0 by playmaker legend and three-time FIFA World Player of the Year Zidane.

Now, the French are only 90 minutes away from the second World Cup in eight years, the crowning achievement in a decade of glory that began when France, and Zidane, reached the semi-finals of the 1996 European Championship.

France won the 1998 World Cup against Brazil 3-0, two of which scored by Zidane.

Now a global audience of 1.5 billion will focus their gaze in the final to see if the French magician can pull off one last, glorious conjuring trick.

Glory
"It is really a source of pride that Zidane is of an Arab and Muslim origin," said Samira, a female fan of Algerian origin, told IOL.
"He has contributed to make France's football glory," she added.
As France booked a final World Cup place, thousands of French fans of immigrant origin took to the streets to celebrate the French win.
"Zidane is France's president... Mercy Zidane," was among the slogans chanted by the jubilant French.

The French fans are confident that their team is going to beat the Azzurri (Italy) because they hold the skeleton key.
"We have Zidane and they (Italy) don't," French defender Willy Sagnol told Agence France-Presse (AFP) Saturday.
Marcello Lippi, Zidane's manager of the French maestro for three years at Juventus, agreed.

"Zidane is probably the best player there has been in the past 20 years," he said.

France and Italy have met five times in major tournaments, in which the French team has beaten the Azzurri three times.
Their most recent victory over the Azzurri came in the final of Euro 2000, when Italy were just 17 seconds away from winning before France equalized and David Trezeguet struck a memorable golden goal winner.

Ribery
Zidane's expected successor, Frank Ribery, has also added to the jubilance of the French Muslims.

"Seeing Ribery while raising his hands and supplicating to God as any typical Muslims do makes me feel proud," said Hamid, of Moroccan origin.

The 23-year-old Ribery has stolen the limelight during France's opener in the World Cup against Switzerland when he was caught while raising his hands and supplicating to God as any other Muslims do.
"French Muslims feel that Ribery's supplication notice is a sign of dignity and honor for the French suburbanites, most of whom are of Muslim origin," Breze added.

Ribery, who did not make his international debut until late May, is expected to start the World Cup final on Sunday against Italy.
The 23-year-old forward has brought energy and pace to a veteran lineup, his fearless runs causing panic among opposing defenders and creating regular scoring opportunities.

Named to the World Cup roster without having played in an international game, Ribery showed his value during three tune-up matches when he entered in the second half.
The Olympique Marseille right-sided winger and midfielder is believed to have reverted to Islam after marrying a Muslim women, of Moroccan origin.

Though he rarely speaks about how he found the Muslim faith, he recently told Le Paris Match magazine that he felt "safe" with Islam.
France is home to some six to seven million Muslims, the largest Muslim minority in Europe.
al humdulallah, At least someone is Muslim by name in France team, I mean Zidane. That much is enough for a world star man to say that he is Muslim, and especially in a time when people change their Muslim names from the fear. Inshallah Allah will guide him to practice Islam. Allah is the one who guide toward the straight faith. Ribery is also consider as a covert Muslim…….. salam

abd_u_llah

salam wr wb

French captain Zinedine Zidane has won the FIFA award as the outstanding player of the World Cup!

"All I want to say to 'Zizou,' and I think France should say it and the world of football...is 'thank you.' And thank you, that's it," France striker Thierry Henry said, using the affectionate nickname by which Zidane is known.

"To finish in a World Cup final takes nothing away from anything. On the contrary, we should thank him because if he hadn't returned (to the national side) we would not have been there tonight," said France defender Willy Sagnol.

just wanted to share some of his fellow players thoughts about him, with you brothers & sisters, Marco Materazzi probably said something really harsh, that made him lose his temper that much.. he havnt done that in his entire football curior.. nways lets wait and see what the real thing was.
wasalam

soussi

football french muslims

salam alaykoum
i think that eric abidal is muslim and anelka (bilal) and thierry henry and i've listen that zidane go soonly to al3omra(la mecque pendant ramadan)!!!
sorry for my english.
salam alaykoum

bayareabilal

makakilo
the best and the rest

I adored Zidane and Ribery before I accepted Islam...but now I just like Ribery and Henry. And yes, Zidane will forever be remembered for losing his cool and striking that loser of an Italian in the chest with his head. Too bad so sad, but thats what happens when you do not worship the ruler of the universe. It is kind of like how the devil wants us to mess up and throw away all our good deeds before we die...the devil will continuously work on us until we die...hoping tha we will lose our cool like Zidane and throw away everything we have worked so hard to achieve in the course of our lives. Are you picking up what i am laying down LOL??? GO TEAM USA LOL!!
Peace in the middle east
:salah: