News Muslims: the Biggest Terrorists, or the Biggest Victims?

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Muslims: the Biggest Terrorists, or the Biggest Victims?

923538_10151623756657812_900578141_n.jpg

How many of us wonder about the openly racist rhetoric we hear these days? The news anchors constantly berating the rise of "islamic extremism". It seems the only thing one needs to do to make someone seem dangerous, is add the word "Islam".

With the way things are presented, one might be led to believe that the only people who have died recently were those in Boston. That Muslims have nothing better to do, except cause terror and outrage! double sided nature of the media. It seems that some lives are more valuable than others. This is the unfortunate one sided nature of our media. Most of society take their information from these government and their allied media sources. So our society is made to believe subconsciously, that some lives are more valuable than others.

Everyday civillians die in countries such as Burma, Afghanistan, Kashmir, Syria, Iraq and Chechnya. In fact, there are several other places around the world where Muslims are persecuted. We never get to hear about these places or their people unless we research via independent human rights groups. In the chance that we do hear about an atrocity committed against Muslims, it is often packaged in a way where it is "matter of fact." Something that just is meant to happen, "Sad", but routine. The world is desensitised to it.

If, however, anything happens to a white Westerner, even if a fingernail is chipped, this is considered the most terrible of crimes, and an outrage that must have justice delivered. What often follows is a media barrage, highlighting people's "Reactions" and "stories" about how it makes them feel and the impact it has had on their lives. They are garnering empathy. The same human empathetic values that makes us side with people. Which make us care, respect, feel connection to and ultimately, love people.

What we really see is selective empathy. Most Westerners are never given the chance to have empathy and compassion for the victims of US military aggression.

544796_300706316711419_2049409207_n.jpg

By analysing the use of language, we can see we are all being constantly manipulated by the international media. An example of which can be seen through the use of the word "terror", "terrorism" and "terrorist". We can not even mention the name of the Muslims who die in Western backed conflicts, in the same sentence as the Boston bombings. Doing so, raises eyebrows and we are given looks of disgust. Why? Nobody is saying that what happened in Boston is justified! Nor are we saying it is not "terrorism". However, if we are to use the word terrorism, then it should be used for all such acts of killing and destruction, including when it happens to Muslims at the behest of the Western armies. That would be true justice.

310805_10151624229347812_1957278207_n.jpg

I wonder when any of this will be seen in context. Perhaps it will take another 50 years? or 100 years? A day will come when the truth will be taught to children in school history lessons. That the Muslims were the biggest victims, yet were treated as the biggest criminals. They were made fun of, victimised and often persecuted. They would realise that a few loose cannons, who were not always mentally stable, and might even have been egged along, encouraged or even aided by governmental agencies, were the ones responsible for any violence "in the name of Islam". That these individuals never represented Islam nor Muslims.

I would hope such a day was closer at hand, but we as Muslims can do nothing except live our lives as Allah has commanded. By following the authentic teachings of Islam, we make our lives better, and also show the world the beauty of our beliefs.

Please share and link back to this TurnToIslam article.

Wasalamu Alaykum

Amir

Precious Star

Here is is the sad truth. Americans will cry and scream and defend their people to the hilt if so much as one of them dies or breaks a fingernail.

Muslim countries do not do that. Has any Muslim nation intervened in Syria? Afghanistan? Iraq? Chechnya?

Instead, these countries are being ravished by warshed, rape, and sectarian violence. When the Russians pulled out of Afghanistan, who jumped into help those poor people rebuild their lives? No one. So the CIA-trained Taliban took over. Islam loves the mother but Afghanistan has the highest infant and maternal mortality rates in the world.

Islamic societies can sit back and blame the west. When another Muslim team plans a terrorist attack, we can sit back and say "oh it's just the media". But no Muslim nation will ever tell al-Queda to tone it down. All those wealthy gulf Arabs will never pour their millions into the infrastructure and education needed in these Islamic societies that will lift them out of their depressed circumstances.

We need to help Muslims first.

I was born and raised in the west. I've been a good citizen and have tried to portray Islam to my non Muslim neighbours, friends and colleagues in a positive light. I have always openly shunned violence. But these al-Qaeda types who plot and bomb and kill....they are tying the efforts that us western rasped Muslims have made in showing that Islam is a peaceful moralistic religion that never ever condones violence against fellow Muslims, non Muslims, women, etc.

Cariad

Precious Star, I do not know how to express a like for your above post. It has beautiful sentiment and great feeling. :)

Peace. X

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Here is is the sad truth. Americans will cry and scream and defend their people to the hilt if so much as one of them dies or breaks a fingernail.

Muslim countries do not do that. Has any Muslim nation intervened in Syria? Afghanistan? Iraq? Chechnya?

Instead, these countries are being ravished by warshed, rape, and sectarian violence. When the Russians pulled out of Afghanistan, who jumped into help those poor people rebuild their lives? No one. So the CIA-trained Taliban took over. Islam loves the mother but Afghanistan has the highest infant and maternal mortality rates in the world.

Islamic societies can sit back and blame the west. When another Muslim team plans a terrorist attack, we can sit back and say "oh it's just the media". But no Muslim nation will ever tell al-Queda to tone it down. All those wealthy gulf Arabs will never pour their millions into the infrastructure and education needed in these Islamic societies that will lift them out of their depressed circumstances.

We need to help Muslims first.

I was born and raised in the west. I've been a good citizen and have tried to portray Islam to my non Muslim neighbours, friends and colleagues in a positive light. I have always openly shunned violence. But these al-Qaeda types who plot and bomb and kill....they are tying the efforts that us western rasped Muslims have made in showing that Islam is a peaceful moralistic religion that never ever condones violence against fellow Muslims, non Muslims, women, etc.

assalamu alaykum - those are some good points. I agree the blame does not lie solely at the feet of the West or the media. Muslims do have responsibility to each other. We can do something about it. The start of effective reformation is education!

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
While I agree that the media has a tendency to sensationalise particular issues and groups of people, I also believe that change starts at the individual level. As Muslims, instead of inciting these dialogues, by creating division through our engagement and involvement in certain ideologies and acts, we should be setting the stage to allow people to learn, inquire and willingly approach us, and the dialogue of what constitutes a true Muslim will naturally follow later. If we always play the vulnerable card, and are on knife's edge to blurt out the Us VS Them dialogue, we will always remain victims. We need to be active and engaged participants of our societies, staying true to our beliefs and principles.

As part of my postgraduate course, I am required to undertake twelve weeks of professional practice at schools, and during my current four-week placement, I was approached recently by the Deputy Principal who, after having noticed my absence at lunch time (everyday) and on that particular day at recess too, from the staff table, she, in her good will, told me how she knew what it felt like to be a minority after having spent time in a foreign country herself with her family and young children, and said, by mixing, I would learn a lot from their experiences. See, I could have let her push that down my throat and tell me that just because I am wearing a scarf, I am a minority, but hey, I am not. So I outwardly told her I appreciated her noticing my absence, but in fact, I don't feel like a minority in the slightest, and that my absence at recess was due to my preparing my lesson and at lunch times, my commitment to my noon prayer. I also told her that I have no reason to feel like a minor, especially in the workforce, because my qualifications, my knowledge and my professionalism is what speaks, not my scarf or my gender. I told her it may seem like a limitation on my part, but in fact, I feel very empowered by my differences.

On another occasion at the same school, another woman approached me asking if she should remove a picture of a hijaabi woman with a tape on her mouth that said feminist on it from her pin-up board. A powerful picture in the sense that she, as a feminist, is free to practice what she wants, in this case, her wearing the hijaab and voice her opinion, but quite ironic with the feminist label over her mouth. She said there was talk about me being offended by it among the other staff and I told her certainly not, she was free to do as she desires, but also clarified that I am not what that woman in the picture is - I certainly have a voice, and will use it when I feel the need to.

The opportunities for dialogue are endless. We don't always have to draw the vulnerable victim card, we can try by seizing moments to clarify, and only then, at least we know we've played our part. And we most certainly need to.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum, Jazakillahu khayran ukhti for your response. I agree that we should not be simply speaking about "being victims" and that this indeed can become self-fulfilling. The article was written in response to the way Muslims are portrayed as the instigators of violence and that non-Muslims in the West are on the world's only victims.

Interesting story about your Deputy Principal, it shows importance of us setting an example by living our lives according to Islam.

May Allah guide and help us, amin.

How is anyone just wearing a jalabyia and holding the quran and saying the shahada concidered a muslim, especially killing innocent lifes, Islam is a religion that is set in stone, it has rules and regulations and steps to become actual muslims, not just acting with the word. So we are neither victims nor terrorists as far as i am concerned these are excluded from islam. my words hear cannot covey how sorry we are for the loss of the latest victim. Also if i where to write my proofs of what i have said from the quran and sunnah i will write a novel. :D

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Assalamu alaykum, Jazakillahu khayran ukhti for your response. I agree that we should not be simply speaking about "being victims" and that this indeed can become self-fulfilling. The article was written in response to the way Muslims are portrayed as the instigators of violence and that non-Muslims in the West are on the world's only victims.

Interesting story about your Deputy Principal, it shows importance of us setting an example by living our lives according to Islam.

May Allah guide and help us, amin.

I guess, being mindful of the image we put out of our religion is a responsibility every Muslim should think over everyday, in every action. We need to dispel doubt through a process of being able to ask genuine questions to fill a knowledge gap, through an open dialogue and an easy approach. It is unfortunate that we have people in our wider faith community who represent Islam and its teachings inappropriately. And what is more unfortunate is that the media deliberately selects the broadcast of this sort of view. Undoubtedly, this fuels anti-Islamic sentiments around the globe, and individuals like us, see it in our day to day lives.