My Visit to a Sufi Dhikr Gathering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumin01

As Salamo Alekum, i just wanted to say something about a dhikr gathering ( i dont know the proper name) that i attended and i just wanted to point out somethings and more or less give my opinion insha Allah

When someone asks what is "dhikr"? your natural response should be " The rememberance of Allah, Al Hakim"

which is correct but in what ways is dhikr limited to? Does dhikr have to be gathering and chanting and shouting religious phrases?

When you read Quran doesnt that give you dhikr?
When you see various signs of Allah, Al Aziz doesnt that give you dhikr?
When you contemplate on all the blessings one has that are given to him by his Lord doesnt that give him dhikr?

So why are people joining Sufi brotherhoods in order to do "dhikr"?
As i stated earlier dhikr does have to include chanting, Allah Subhanahu wa Talaa can also be remembered in even the most insignificant tasks.

I ask you, our dearly beloved Prophet Muhammad Sal Allahu alyhi was Salam was a the greatest Muslim and worshipper of Allah azzawajal did he need to result to organized meetings of chanting in order to remember his Lord

Another thing which brought my concern was the people chanting looked foolish, this one man beside me looked as if he was spasing out, another man was shaking his head back in forth as well, everyone in my opinion looked ridiculous. I see more dignity in a man performing salaat then in someone shaking spontaneously remembering Allah subhanahu wa talaa

Something that also made me nervous was how much the students revered their imam, im all for loving, respecting, and obeying our religious teachers but this was really wierd to me, before speaking to the imam one on one you had to basically kiss his hand, which i learned from the people i went with there that it was a sign of respect, fair enough, but when i saw women doing the same thing it really got me wondering

It was narrated that Maqil ibn Yassaar said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: " For one of you to be stabbed in the head with an iron needle is better for him than that he should touch a woman who is not permissible for him."Narrated by al-Tabaraani in al-Kabeer, 486. Shaykh al-Albaani said in Saheeh al-Jaami, 5045, that this hadeeth is saheeh

I know that in this religion, no shiekh, imam, or religious leader can claim that they are "above" what the Messenger of Allah sal Allahu alyhi wa salam told us to do

Concerning the imam student relationship, i see that students bascially more or less listne to their imam and no one less, its to say that, my imam is always right and ur imam is always wrong, i wont listen to your shiekh unless he has the same views as my shiekh

my favorite shiekh is Shiekh Muhammad al Yacoubi but that does not mean that i dont listen to any other shiekh besides him. i like listening to a lot of other people as well like Shiekh Hamza Yusuf, Zaid Shakir, Abdal-Hakim Murad. So it really diturbs me how they have abosulte devotion to their imams and you have to basically pledge your alligiance to them

The imam said that wahabi leaders are ignorant for calling these meetings bidda because of in these dhikr circles they break free from the dunya and remember Allah azaawajal, But dont we do the same thing for salaat? Dont we stop what were doing and "disconnect" from the dunya in order to worhsip and therefore remember Allah Subhanahu wa talaa?

im not here to argue if this is bidda ect. I am not saying are brothers doing this are ignorant or heedless. Im all for dhikr jammaah ( without the spazing) but i ask you is it really necessary to join a sufi order in order to attain "sprituality"? sufis argue that they remember Allah subhanahu wa talaa 24/7 365, thats good for you, but you do have yo call your self a "sufi" because of that? I dont know maybe im unlearned and dont have a complete understanding of this concept. I hope what i typed causes no fitna or animosity in any way because its not my intention to do so, just giving my 2 cents

Salaam

Spops

Bismillah,

as salaam aliekum wa rahmatullah,

My dear respected brothers and sister in Islam. There is a golden principle in Islam which is this:- No man is infalliable and no man deserves to be followed except the prophet of Allah (peace and blessing be upon him) after that we follow the truth whoever it is with, whether it be Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, Ali or any of the rightly guided companions (May Allah be pleased with them all). After that everyone who comes should be following the prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) and those who followed him.

Now, we find people following shaikh so and so who is not following the prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) so he is not following the truth. Take singing and dancing that goes on a sufi shikr circles. Did the prophet Muhammed do any of these things or did he oppose them. Let us look at his life. He was invited before prophethood to attend a party, he decided to go, but whilst their he fell into unconsciousness and woke up after all the festivities were over. This was a blessings confirmed on him by Allah to safeguard him from these events. Next, we find that whenever he would go past a gathering in which there was music, he (peace and blessings be upon him) would place his fingers in his ears so as not to hear. One has to ask why would he do that if music was halal!
In surah Luqman we are told; And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks to mislead men from the path of Allah without knowledge, and it takes by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment ( 31:6) If we turn to the tafseer of this ayat we find a consensus that this is nothing more than singing and music. Then we have prohibition for dancing and free mixing. If anyone is still in doubt then let them read the lives of the sahabaha and find any of this, you will find not a single sahih thread of evidence. May Allah bless this ummah with a return to the straight path and proctect from every going astray which is in the hellfire. Allah forgive me and forgive this ummah

molveees

Opening eyes to true Islam

Thank you for sharing such an enlightning experience. I am sure it will help more & more people to return to the correct path, inshallah. Imagine if this took place in the days of the prophet what his reaction would be? of an approval? or of a despise? Indeed it is an innovation that we see & a deviation from mainstream islam. But you may think less of it what you investigate deeply into the sufi belief. Their belief of Allah is something called "wahdat al wujood" That god is present or manifests itself in all things. This troubles me as it is actually Shirk & this philosophy related more to hindus. A philosophy which is sadly propagated by otherwise a great scholar of present times, harun Yahya. Watch Dr. bilal philips video on youtube exposing harun yahya & his idolatory beliefs.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hPSv6fRR4wc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hPSv6fRR4wc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPSv6fRR4wc

May Allah guide him & all of US to the straight & narrow. Ameen.

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Now this is not a religious opinion but simply another personal story.

Years ago, a friend of mine convinced me to attend one of these "dhikr" gatherings. I was curious. At the time I smoked and did not pray regularly. May Allah (glorified He may be) forgive me.

To cut a long story short I went, twice, and was not impressed. The "shiekh" was a man in his 20s (nearly my age then) who apparently "inherited" the "piety" from his deceased father who had a large, LARGE tomb in the mosque (they are called zawiya) where the Sufi hold their gatherings. More over, the guy smoked in the "mosque" and quite and expensive type of cigarettes. Many followers -including my friend- started smoking after they joined his circle. Although I was smoking at the time, I had no question it was haram and would admit it and this was indeed a major factor in me quitting smoking alhamdulillah. This thing really shocked me.

There was no women, but elderly men attended in droves and kissed the hand of the "shiekh". The whole thing felt wrong. Mind you, the food was just perfect although clearly quite costly.

Then came the "dhikr" time ... men formed a circle and the light went off. Then loud music and banging started and every one started jumping like mad. Being held from right and left I had no choice but to jump. Every now and then some will have a loud shout like if they had a fit. I would have asked for the lights to be switched on and for those people be checked by a doctor if I could. I was later told that those men have been over taken by closeness to Allah (glorified He may be) or something to that effect.

The whole thing felt plain wrong and nothing like Islam as I know it. The prophet (peace be upon him) was the closest human being to Allah (glorified He may be), but he did not hold such cult-like gatherings or jump to express it. The Quran talks about prayer and good deed, not jumping to music.

Allah knows best

Mumin01

Thank you for sharing such an enlightning experience. I am sure it will help more & more people to return to the correct path, inshallah. Imagine if this took place in the days of the prophet what his reaction would be? of an approval? or of a despise? Indeed it is an innovation that we see & a deviation from mainstream islam. But you may think less of it what you investigate deeply into the sufi belief. Their belief of Allah is something called "wahdat al wujood" That god is present or manifests itself in all things. This troubles me as it is actually Shirk & this philosophy related more to hindus. A philosophy which is sadly propagated by otherwise a great scholar of present times, harun Yahya. Watch Dr. bilal philips video on youtube exposing harun yahya & his idolatory beliefs.

May Allah guide him & all of US to the straight & narrow. Ameen.

Brother thank you for your response but please be careful of what you say. Not all sufis hold this belief although yes there are some that indeed do. Indeed islam is not a panthiestic faith. Allah Subhanahu wa talaa is above the seven heavens and nothing is above him. But we cant go around claiming that all sufis hold this view, even though some sufis strongly believe this

and please dont post that video, ive seen it so many times im not going to believe what Bilal Philips says until i hear Harun yahyas side of the story
we cant go around accusing people of not believing in Allah, Al Ahad correctly without sufficient proof

Now this is not a religious opinion but simply another personal story.

Years ago, a friend of mine convinced me to attend one of these "dhikr" gatherings. I was curious. At the time I smoked and did not pray regularly. May Allah (glorified He may be) forgive me.

To cut a long story short I went, twice, and was not impressed. The "shiekh" was a man in his 20s (nearly my age then) who apparently "inherited" the "piety" from his deceased father who had a large, LARGE tomb in the mosque (they are called zawiya) where the Sufi hold their gatherings. More over, the guy smoked in the "mosque" and quite and expensive type of cigarettes. Many followers -including my friend- started smoking after they joined his circle. Although I was smoking at the time, I had no question it was haram and would admit it and this was indeed a major factor in me quitting smoking alhamdulillah. This thing really shocked me.

There was no women, but elderly men attended in droves and kissed the hand of the "shiekh". The whole thing felt wrong. Mind you, the food was just perfect although clearly quite costly.

Then came the "dhikr" time ... men formed a circle and the light went off. Then loud music and banging started and every one started jumping like mad. Being held from right and left I had no choice but to jump. Every now and then some will have a loud shout like if they had a fit. I would have asked for the lights to be switched on and for those people be checked by a doctor if I could. I was later told that those men have been over taken by closeness to Allah (glorified He may be) or something to that effect.

The whole thing felt plain wrong and nothing like Islam as I know it. The prophet (peace be upon him) was the closest human being to Allah (glorified He may be), but he did not hold such cult-like gatherings or jump to express it. The Quran talks about prayer and good deed, not jumping to music.

Allah knows best

i totally agree man a lot of that stuff you said happened when i went as well lol except the smoking part, it really did feel more like a cult then like islam

and yes you are right, the food was good
:)

MariamK

optimist.. i like ur info about such bidda gatherings.. im glad u realised its not sahih to do such.. ur comment about getting a doctor did make me gigle i mst admit.. i feel like doing the same when i see such bidaa being preached. Allah guide them or leave them alone.Ameen

May Allah keep us far from such ludicrusy.Ameen

MariamK

As Salamo Alekum, i just wanted to say something about a dhikr gathering ( i dont know the proper name) that i attended and i just wanted to point out somethings and more or less give my opinion insha Allah

When someone asks what is "dhikr"? your natural response should be " The rememberance of Allah, Al Hakim"

which is correct but in what ways is dhikr limited to? Does dhikr have to be gathering and chanting and shouting religious phrases?

When you read Quran doesnt that give you dhikr?
When you see various signs of Allah, Al Aziz doesnt that give you dhikr?
When you contemplate on all the blessings one has that are given to him by his Lord doesnt that give him dhikr?

So why are people joining Sufi brotherhoods in order to do "dhikr"?
As i stated earlier dhikr does have to include chanting, Allah Subhanahu wa Talaa can also be remembered in even the most insignificant tasks.

I ask you, our dearly beloved Prophet Muhammad Sal Allahu alyhi was Salam was a the greatest Muslim and worshipper of Allah azzawajal did he need to result to organized meetings of chanting in order to remember his Lord

Another thing which brought my concern was the people chanting looked foolish, this one man beside me looked as if he was spasing out, another man was shaking his head back in forth as well, everyone in my opinion looked ridiculous. I see more dignity in a man performing salaat then in someone shaking spontaneously remembering Allah subhanahu wa talaa

Something that also made me nervous was how much the students revered their imam, im all for loving, respecting, and obeying our religious teachers but this was really wierd to me, before speaking to the imam one on one you had to basically kiss his hand, which i learned from the people i went with there that it was a sign of respect, fair enough, but when i saw women doing the same thing it really got me wondering

It was narrated that Maqil ibn Yassaar said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: " For one of you to be stabbed in the head with an iron needle is better for him than that he should touch a woman who is not permissible for him."Narrated by al-Tabaraani in al-Kabeer, 486. Shaykh al-Albaani said in Saheeh al-Jaami, 5045, that this hadeeth is saheeh

I know that in this religion, no shiekh, imam, or religious leader can claim that they are "above" what the Messenger of Allah sal Allahu alyhi wa salam told us to do

Concerning the imam student relationship, i see that students bascially more or less listne to their imam and no one less, its to say that, my imam is always right and ur imam is always wrong, i wont listen to your shiekh unless he has the same views as my shiekh

my favorite shiekh is Shiekh Muhammad al Yacoubi but that does not mean that i dont listen to any other shiekh besides him. i like listening to a lot of other people as well like Shiekh Hamza Yusuf, Zaid Shakir, Abdal-Hakim Murad. So it really diturbs me how they have abosulte devotion to their imams and you have to basically pledge your alligiance to them

The imam said that wahabi leaders are ignorant for calling these meetings bidda because of in these dhikr circles they break free from the dunya and remember Allah azaawajal, But dont we do the same thing for salaat? Dont we stop what were doing and "disconnect" from the dunya in order to worhsip and therefore remember Allah Subhanahu wa talaa?

im not here to argue if this is bidda ect. I am not saying are brothers doing this are ignorant or heedless. Im all for dhikr jammaah ( without the spazing) but i ask you is it really necessary to join a sufi order in order to attain "sprituality"? sufis argue that they remember Allah subhanahu wa talaa 24/7 365, thats good for you, but you do have yo call your self a "sufi" because of that? I dont know maybe im unlearned and dont have a complete understanding of this concept. I hope what i typed causes no fitna or animosity in any way because its not my intention to do so, just giving my 2 cents

Salaam

As salam alaikum.
You asked a good question... the answer is No u dnt call urself a sufi, nor join a sugi group or believe that 786 etc will help u.. first and foremost Allah said in Quran " I have completed the deen and called you Muslim" so this is our title for life, Muslim. Making dhikr at home alone sitting on ur sajda or when ur driving ur car or going for ur daily walk are good times to make dhikr.. we dnt need to shout to have Allah hear us,, we dnt need to eat exspensive food and we sure DONT need to kiss mens hands. naothoo billah.
What you have typed has caused us to become more aware of the ill actions of such hizb which Allah again in quran ordered us not to be apart of. so jazakilahu khair ameen.
May Allah always love you, tell the angels to love you, and make you of those who goes to jannah firdaws.Ameen .
Hiyyak Allah.

D.Ahmed

Believer
Salaam
There's a big sufi group near to where i live and they always invite me to their place of gathering but i never go because i know alot of the acts they do i disagree with, Anyways my mate's older brother is a active sufi he's been with them for about 6years and he's told me that his brother doesn't listen to anyone expect their leader i mean they do everything their leader says and they put too much emphasis on visiting the grave and talk about past sufi saints. Just thought i'd share my input.

W/s

Status
Not open for further replies.