Need advice about School

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2:
:bismillah:
I don't necessarily agree that music is completely Haram; but I, without a doubt, know that too much music is bad and will take your mind off Allah.

Well, in my school, we have music programs. It's either you're in Band (Musical Instruments), Chorus (singing along with a Piano; I'm in it) or Keyboard (Piano).

I am VERY fond of the Piano; I can play a few songs on it such as Kc and JoJo's "All My Life" and Beethoven's "Fur Elise". I even have a piano in my house (Alhamdallah). Don't worry, this is on-topic.

I'd much rather quit Chorus (because I hate singing the songs they sing) and join Keyboard. In Keyboard, you do NOTHING (so I've heard). That gives me room to, instead of being forced to sing stupid songs, (such as "Arabian Nights" talking about cutting off people's ears in one part) remember Allah and pretend to just stare off into space. I can also play some piano and dedicate it to Allah (such as "I'm doing this in the name of Allah").

HOWEVER, I will get screamed at (probably) by my Chorus Teacher if a quit Chorus.

I'm stuck here.

Option 1) Quit Chorus and join Keyboard

Pros - Not being stuck singing "Arabian Nights"
Not being stuck listening to music for 40 minutes
Being able to remember Allah

Cons - Getting yelled at by my Music Teacher (posibility)
Getting asked too many questions by friends about why I quit
Getting stuck with "the wrong crowd" for many people take Keyboard and many bad kids take it (because these kids aren't in Chorus or Band; I just know it)

Option 2) Stay in Chorus
Pros - Not getting yelled at by my Music Teacher (posibility)
Not getting asked too many questions by friends about why I quit
Not getting stuck with "the wrong crowd" for many people take Keyboard and many bad kids take it (because these kids aren't in Chorus or Band; I just know it)
Being able to play "Fur Elise" and KC and JoJo's "All My Life" :D

Cons - Being stuck listening to Music all day
Not being able to remember Allah
Having to listen to/sing "Arabian Nights" (quite possibly the most inaccurate song since it talks about people "cutting of ears" and it's supposed to take place in Post-Islamic Arabia for it is a song about 1000 and 1 Nights or more commonly known for "Aladdin")

Which option should I choose? Please give me adivce on how to cope with either! I think I have an idea of which option you guys'll suggest...
:wasalam:

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2: again
:bismillah:
I wish I could edit the title of this thread to "Need advice about school", but I can't.

I need some advice in other areas, too.

In Algebra (improved by the Muslims!) just yesterday, a friend (Atheist) came up to me and said "I shoot Muslims for a living". It sounds cruel, but we both knew he was joking (and the look the teacher gave him made me laugh a lot); but is this Haram to talk about religions? We also talk about religion in this class; we've taken a liking to sharing arguments against Christianity (I call it the "Atheistic Muslim's Pac" starting at the time of this post).

Also, there is a LOT of mixing of girls and boys in my school. My Science Teacher (by a work of Allah???) moved the desks so I'm not sitting in front of a girl who flirts with me and other boys all the time. Is this mixing of girls healthy, and is it ok if I occasionally joke with girls (NOT touching them)?

Last question (lol, my school is messed up): there is this girl who comes to my lunch table and asks for food everyday (unless she is out of school). On Friday, my friend gave her a lot of food and she kissed him (take note that a lot of boys like her). Everytime I or another friend gives her food, she says "I love you" to us. I'm afraid (partly, at least :D) that one day I'll give her food out of kindness and I'll recieve this same "fate". What should I do? Should I stop giving her food or what?

Sorry for asking for all of this advice; my school is a messed up place. Of course, some of this is to blame on myself because I flirted a lot before my reversion. I'd really appreciate some advice right now. JazakAllah Khair.

ripefig

My dear brother, your honesty is admirable. You seem to be an outspoken person who is not afraid to give or receive advice. Just by your writings you seem to have a super friendly character, so naturally you attract people:SMILY231: However, you have to be careful in guarding your soul. I don't see a problem with giving the girl or anyone else food for the pleasure of Allah. However, you should not accept a kiss from her:astag: It is very difficult to be in an environment like yours, but we must always be mindful of Allah. Our beloved Prophet was an example for the world and we have to do our best to emulate him. There is a (non-Muslim) saying that when you are in Rome you have to do as the Romans. As Muslims, we have to be Muslims in Rome or anywhere else. If people know that your religion forbid certain things, normally they will not approach you in a bad way, but you have to let them know. Stay strong my dear Brother. May Allah guide you and all of us to make the right choices even though they may be difficult. Ameen.

arabiantxn

re

"Last question (lol, my school is messed up): there is this girl who comes to my lunch table and asks for food everyday (unless she is out of school). On Friday, my friend gave her a lot of food and she kissed him (take note that a lot of boys like her). Everytime I or another friend gives her food, she says "I love you" to us. I'm afraid (partly, at least :D) that one day I'll give her food out of kindness and I'll recieve this same "fate". What should I do? Should I stop giving her food or what?"

Hey you can send your food to me bro.

As for your other question the only thing I can tell you is stay away from girls .Seriously before you know you can be more than friends and before you know you are her new boy friend and its kind of hard to get out of it both for you and for her.

This is what i do ... I try to stay away as far possible as I can for them. If some one stills come to me I label them the “whore” word and run away form them. Also pray to allah to help you out. Good luck brother.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

I think your first problem is much more difficult than the second. First of all, you should realise that music is completely haram, no excues/exceptions. There have been many threads about this on the site which you can easily find using the search utility. Once that is cleared up, it is up to you decide wether to continue with these musical programmes. If they are compulsory, there is not much I can say to help you apart from try and make them understand that it goes against your religious principles which may be difficuly in your situation.

For the other problem however, you should resist any temtation you may encounter and make the her understand that even though you give her food it is there is no other motive behind it except kindness:)

samiha

---------
Staff member

For your first question I say go with #1 - let them get the unexpected! lol. I dunno much abt chorus but at our school last yr they did just abt anything to get boys in... one kid got in by singing 'happy birthday'

I'll leave some of the other questions and skip to your last because i thought it was pathetically funny.

19sign.jpg

DON'T FEED THE ANIMALS... THEY WILL EAT YOU!!

See? Now only if they could reiterate this idea to a school lunchroom.​

eh... joking... haha.

but for real, it's fine when you give food, but when it comes to cause and consequence...this is not a good idea. I mean if you do give food and get the same consequence as your friend you will know that it was due to your actions that this occured. You can't truthfully say you had nothing to do with it, because it was your food and you'll be held accountable for everything on the Day of Judgement.

so just be careful...

living in the western society (actually i shouldn't say this... in truth it's all societies) and retaining yourself can be difficult but hey... this life is only temporary right?

So Good Luck!

Globalpeace

Banned
Music in English Education System

Asslamo Allaikum Dear Brother,

Not sure where which country you are in Brother but just trying to help you in the situation…

As Brother has clearly stated that Music is HARAM!

Music has now been made part of National Curriculum (but not a Core Subject) in England and I know of the following circumstances:

1) Islamic Schools (with Government Funding) are teaching Nasheeds etc.
2) Islamic Schools (without Government Funding) can get away from it because it is not a Core Subject
3) Some Muslims students are boycotting the lessons and sitting out…There are many Muslim Parents who have objected to this…& I know of a family who have the intention of taking it to the European Parliament early next year
4) Yorkshire, Lancashire, London, Midlands, Leicester Councils all have complains on file from Muslim Parents about this issue
5) I have met Muslim teachers (in Muslim & State schools) during my personal investigation (curious even though my kids are not that age yet) & understood the situation (legally & so on)….unfortunately “Our Muslim Leaders” were consulted & “Our Opinion” was gauged so there is nothing short of a lengthy legal battle…“Our Muslim Leaders” are unable/unwilling to take our genuine concerns to the “democratically elected British Government”

In short “Muslims in England” for the time being will be unable to get out of this predicament…That should not stop them from telling the teachers the impact of this on their lives…& in Birmingham (UK) there are Muslims teachers who are working on a Nasheed based Curriculum (without Music or with Duff .)

May Allah (SWT) help you with your situation…Please note that as you get older your life in the West will present you with more and more challenges & may Allah (SWT) grant you victory in all of them.

Remember Courtesy and Politeness goes a long way
Confrontational attitude doesn’t

Jazakullah Khairun

Noor to shine

Be careful

Dear son:
Be careful you have a treasures don`t loose it: pure heart and clean soul.
You have an enemy (so be careful again ) Satan and your own self....... the only way to win this battle is to:
Keep Allah swt in your mind(He is watching)
be in touch with Quran
learn the teachings of Islam and do your best in practsing:(lower your gaze. pray regurarly......have taqwa)
Always remember that we may die at any moment and meat our Lord....so keep your purity.
Remember that in paradise Allah will reward you a great reward for your modesty.

Others are sinking but you as a muslem should rise .

May Allah protect you from any evil

nasir89ah

My dear brother, your honesty is admirable. You seem to be an outspoken person who is not afraid to give or receive advice. Just by your writings you seem to have a super friendly character, so naturally you attract people:SMILY231: However, you have to be careful in guarding your soul. I don't see a problem with giving the girl or anyone else food for the pleasure of Allah. However, you should not accept a kiss from her:astag: It is very difficult to be in an environment like yours, but we must always be mindful of Allah. Our beloved Prophet was an example for the world and we have to do our best to emulate him. There is a (non-Muslim) saying that when you are in Rome you have to do as the Romans. As Muslims, we have to be Muslims in Rome or anywhere else. If people know that your religion forbid certain things, normally they will not approach you in a bad way, but you have to let them know. Stay strong my dear Brother. May Allah guide you and all of us to make the right choices even though they may be difficult. Ameen.

I agree if ppl know you are muslim...........9 times out of ten they will try their hardest to respect you.......i am in college and the a lot of my friends are non -believers so for instance...when a male comes up to me and my group of friends........he will hug every girl......but when he comes to me sometimes he will just give me nod of the head...and some are even brave to shake my hand...............but they will only go as far as you allow them to go

protect your soul