Need answers insha Allaah

Umm Khalil

:salam2:

Bismillah

Dear brothers and sisters,

My friend, a non-Muslim, told me a few days back that she feels that Quran is the truth however, has many questions about Islam. Yesterday she asked me about apostasy which I lack knowledge of. I hope someone can help answer her queries because I am not well versed in either Qur'an/Hadeeth.

She posted three ahadeeth:

Muslim 623 The Prophet said: "It is not permissible to take the life of a Muslim except in one of the three cases: the married adulterer, a life for a life (if the person is Muslim), and the deserter of Islam."

Bukhari 9:89:271 A man embraced Islam and then reverted back to Judaism Mu'adh said: "I will not sit down unless you kill him as it is the verdict ofAllah and His Apostle"

Bukhari 4:52:260 Ali burnt some people (Zanadiqa, atheists 9:84:57) although the Prophet had said, "Don?t punish anybody with Allah's punishment (Fire)" if a Muslim discards his religion, kill him"

Her question is that: does these ahadeeth contradict the Qur'an since in there is no mention about killing apostates? I truly believe that this friend is sincere in seeking the truth because for so many years, she has questioned the bible and currently turning to Islam for answers. May Allah guide her and all of us!

Jazak Allah khayr

besmiralalbani

Think for yourself
Why death is the punishment for Apostasy

This question has bees asked several time from non-Muslims and I want to find an answer: Why When the Muslim convert to another religion(Murtad) he/she should be killed?

Praise be to Allaah.

Your question may be answered by the following points:

(1) This is the ruling of Allaah and His Messenger, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever changes his religion, kill him." (reported by al-Bukhaari, al-Fath, no. 3017).

(2) The one who has known the religion which Allaah revealed, entered it and practised it, then rejected it, despised it and left it, is a person who does not deserve to live on the earth of Allaah and eat from the provision of Allaah.

(3) By leaving Islaam, the apostate opens the way for everyone who wants to leave the faith, thus spreading apostasy and encouraging it.

(4) The apostate is not to be killed without warning. Even though his crime is so great, he is given a last chance, a respite of three days in which to repent. If he repents, he will be left alone; if he does not repent, then he will be killed.

(5) If the punishment for murder and espionage (also known as high treason) is death, then what should be the punishment for the one who disbelieves in the Lord of mankind and despises and rejects His religion? Is espionage or shedding blood worse than leaving the religion of the Lord of mankind and rejecting it?

(6) None of those who bleat about personal freedom and freedom of belief would put up with a neighbour’s child hitting their child or justify this as "personal freedom," so how can they justify leaving the true religion and rejecting the sharee’ah which Allaah revealed to teach mankind about His unity and bring justice and fairness to all?

We ask Allaah for safety and health. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad .

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

a_stranger

Bismillah

My friend, a non-Muslim, told me a few days back that she feels that Quran is the truth however, has many questions about Islam. Yesterday she asked me about apostasy which I lack knowledge of. I hope someone can help answer her queries because I am not well versed in either Qur'an/Hadeeth.

Muslim 623 The Prophet said: "It is not permissible to take the life of a Muslim except in one of the three cases: the married adulterer, a life for a life (if the person is Muslim), and the deserter of Islam."

Bukhari 9:89:271 A man embraced Islam and then reverted back to Judaism Mu'adh said: "I will not sit down unless you kill him as it is the verdict ofAllah and His Apostle"

Bukhari 4:52:260 Ali burnt some people (Zanadiqa, atheists 9:84:57) although the Prophet had said, "Don?t punish anybody with Allah's punishment (Fire)" if a Muslim discards his religion, kill him"

Her question is that: does these ahadeeth contradict the Qur'an since in there is no mention about killing apostates? I truly believe that this friend is sincere in seeking the truth because for so many years, she has questioned the bible and currently turning to Islam for answers. May Allah guide her and all of us!

Jazak Allah khayr

If we study the hadiths concerning apostasy we see that it is up to the government in an islamic state to decide the punshiment not up to an individual . An islamic state is a state of faith .....it should govern that faith and defend it so those in charge should deal with this matter dependening on it`s danger. Like any country deals with tratiours who may attack their safety . I think this matter is misused by some people to stop the light of islam and Allah knows best

hassana elkoussi

Salam alaikum sister,

Well, sister, whether or not we like this verdict of killing apostates, it is there in the hadith/s of the Prophet pbuh which we cannot by any means deny. Besides, the Prophet's mission is far from being limited. On the contrary, Allah has given him the right to stipulate things as is evident in surat al Hashr And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) gives you, take it; and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it). And fear Allah; verily, Allah is Severe in punishment. (59:7) Besides, this verdict is one of the hudud ( legal punishments ) and one the necessarily accepted facts of Islam, the denial of which, according to some scholars, may lead to kufr. As for the idea of freedom of will, the scholars explain the verse of surat Al Kahf ( 18:27) as referring to the pre-Islamic stage, i.e. before one chooses whether or not to become a muslim, but once Islam is chosen, there is no going back and hence this punishment. THe wisdom behind such a punishment is very well explained in the fatwa given by sister/brother besmiralalbani , mainly to avoid the negative side effects of such an act on the whole ummah and this is based on the rule of درء المفسدة مقدم على جلب المنفعة
( avoiding evils is given priority over gaining benefits). Btw I'm not coming back to argue about this ( I hate arguing and it's ramadan as well), just felt it was my duty to give the views of the reliable scholars on such an issue. Salam alaikum

MahyarEL-Prince

Studying Islam...

Bismillah

Jazak Allah khayr

Assalamu alaikum, wa rahmatullahi wa barkatoh.
I would love to share my thoughts on apostasy in islam, and I hope we can look at this in a logical manner. I would briefly like to say that I too had this problem while I was a muslim I never heard of this and to some point I thought it was unfair, and I felt it contradicted my whole belief of islam being a free , non compulsive religion.. Which it is :p

There are some key issues that we must look at before just pulling the trigger at this.. There must be some reason why it's capital punishment..
But first and foremost I would love to say that this in no way can take away the divinity of the Quran, and the respected sunnah.. Just because capital punishment is there doesn't mean it's not from Allah and I hope the sister will not wait too long before taking the shahada inshallah ta'ala..

Ok Please take heed that during the time of the rasool (alayhis salatu salam)
many of the mushreeks/kaffers were trying their very best to dismantle the religion of islam.. Islam was a threat to the arabian peninsula, it was a threat to other deens to take over, and this was not good.. Lets see what Allah says about it in the Quran...
"And a party of the followers of the Book say: Avow belief in that which has been revealed to those who believe, in the first part of the day, and disbelieve at the end of it, perhaps they go back on their religion" 03/72

So people were litteraly taking shahada in the mornings and leaving later.. I believe there are hadiths of people entering and leaving the religion to confuse the believers.. So what are we to do about this? logically what would you do ? Allah with his ultimate knowledge knew this is going to happen and what the rasool decrees is what Allah decrees..
So it would only make sense if we say "If you want to join islam, join wholeheartedly , believe in it before you join it"

I really would love to touch on more things but I am late and tired for some duties.. I hope this opened up something for you, it really did for me..

AND remember PEOPLE KNOW apostasy is dealt with murder as a recompense for leaving the deen YET while knowing this we are the fastest growing religion... PEOPLE KNOW THIS they hear it all the time...
Is that not proof that we have the truth ?

And also !! no one will do background research on your family, knock on your door to make sure your making salah in a muslim country.. you just cant go around causing fitnah telling the world you are a kaffer, or Jesus is the Lord.. If you want to do that, get away from the believers, leave the country.. I mean why would you want to be in a country ran by something you don't believe in ?
i'll shed some more light on this and I am in no way in a position to give fatwas this is only what Allah has permitted me of knowledge in this life..
If I have said anything wrong it is all because of me and what shayton has embedded in my heart prior to this ramadan, and if I have shed light on you then verily it was only Allah who guided me to convey this...
Assalamu alaikum, wa rahmatullahi , wa barakatoh

Umm Khalil

Jazak Allah khayr everyone for your response!

I have been reading up about this subject and all of you have added to my understanding about it al-hamdulillah.