Need for Islamic Schools!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Alhumdo lillah I have been involved in Islamic schools in both US & UK for a number of years and although I am not a trained teacher (by profession) but I do have some observations that I would like to share on that front.

I spoke to a mixed race Muslim couple recently (Revert Brother, Arab Sister) who tried to put their kids in an Islamic school but their children were bullied.

I assured them in our “weekend” school this sort of thing will Insha’Allah not happen and doesn’t happen. Our plan was to extend this to a normal full time school but Alhum do lillah our Mosque has opened one.

Having said that there are many really good Islamic schools both in the US & UK Masha’Allah.

We started 4-5 years ago with 5 kids because we found that most of the Mosques in the UK cater for “Asian children” and standards of teaching Qur’aan (Tajweed) etc is not good to say the least; Alhum do lillah we are doing well (a lot still needs to be done as we believe progression never stops). We are one of the few Islamic schools in the Midlands area with trained teachers, a curriculum, and all the rest of the system that goes into a normal school so the kids feel great. We also do programs particularly for girls (because in our opinion Muslim girls are often neglected in the communities and Mosques); couple of sisters from Green Lane Mosque (Birmingham, UK) came on New Year eve to talk to our female students & planning on another one on Easter weekend Insha’Allah.

Over the years looked at many different curricula and teaching guides out in the market & have realised that there is no single good resource; some are strong in one area while others are strong in other.

I do strongly believe that we should be teaching “Islam” and not culture and we should be prepared and cater for Muslim children from all backgrounds (Asians, Blacks, Arabs, Whites, Mixed etc.) although culture should be taken into account when teaching as sometimes that’s all the child knows and can relate to.

Before setting up the school I was asked to be a caretaker Imam in another Mosque in UK so I tried to overhaul the local Madrasa brought in laptops, spreadsheets (to chart the student’s progress etc.), put a system in Place to visit and inform parents and get them involved in the Islamic education…Masha’Allah some of the brothers appreciated it while most of the older attendees of the Mosque didn’t appreciate it. I was politely asked to step down & all of my innovations were discarded after I left.

Brothers/Sisters! This is a matter of life and death for our children; we need to be positive and do something….When you start in the beginning its hard, its financially draining but then Allah (SWT) helps you along the way because you do it for the sake of Allah (SWT) & not for name, fame or gain.

I do work with some Brothers/Sisters in USA to help them setup at least a weekend Islamic School (curriculum, policies etc.) & would be only happy to help anyone else anywhere else in the West Insha’allah,

Status
Not open for further replies.