Need Help To Build Up an Islamic Club

Peace-&-Love

:salam2: my brothers and sisters!!!

Hope all of you are in good health and spirit. I need an advice from all of you guys if you don't mind. My high school just last year started a club dedicated to reeducating our fellow Muslim Youths and educating students from other faiths :ma: We call ourselves MSA(Muslim Student Association club) and it has been a really rewarding process to be involved in. Just 2-3 years ago there were no mosque where I live and now there are two and our Muslim population has be growing as well(alhumdulila). As a pretty young club, we are unorganized and it is really hard and difficult to build it up when there is nothing to build on. So here is my question what topics should we cover and how should we go around doing them. Lectures? activities? How should we make it so that we not only attract Muslims, but non-Muslims as well? What events should we hold and so on? I would really appreciate anything you guys can suggest...and keep in mind that these are teenagers and their attention span is short!

Thank you guys and may Allah bless you and have mercy upon you all!! May he grant us all the opportunity to have such an effect on our communities!

:salam2:

soeurette

Assalam Alaikum,

I think your first step should be to set up an executive board, have elections to vote for a president, vice-president, etc. That way you have a set group of people who can keep things organized. That way at a meeting, the e-board will have a set agenda of items to talk about with the rest of the club, because I would suggest having seperate e-board meetings.
Then I would focus on coming up with events. I think a bbq is a great idea, you can have tables set up with information (www.whyislam.org is a great resource for literature and qur'an's in different languages). If a bbq isn't possible, have lectures, where you maybe show a video and have a discussion, invite an educated member of the community to talk about a particular topic, (Women in Islam, Basic Pillars of Islam, etc.) and serve refreshments. Set up a cultural event, showing that Islam is a religion that spans the world not just te Middle East. Also Discover Islam, has wonderful posters that you can buy, and you can set up a display exhibit during the school day so students get an chance to read at their leisure during their free periods.
Also talk to the nonmuslim community and find out what they would find interesting, and what they have questions about that way you can focus.
If you need any more suggestions or help let me know, I used to be a part of the MSA at my university when I was an undergraduate. So I've got lots of experience ^.^

Wa Salam