Need some help...

Emre

Hi there.Im a muslim and I am just starting to pray teraweh.I dont know what to read in each rakaat'.Can someone help me by telling me what should I read in each 2 rakaat.Thanks.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

Read like a normal prayer, It is 2 rakat (2 units long) you can read any Surah of Quran that you know. Then you complete with the Witr prayer,

In last rakah of Witr prayer you make the Dua. You can pray a variation of rakats for witr. For example, you can read one rakat, for the witr is Odd in number. Or you can read 2 rakats, and then read 1 rakat and do the dua qanoot.

The Prophet :saw: did not pray more than 11 rakah in one night. So that is 8 rakat taraweeh with 3 Witr.

Finish by reading witr,

Sahih Bukhari

Volume 2, Book 16, Number 105:

Narrated Ibn Umar:​
Once a person asked Allah's Apostle about the night prayer. Allah's Apostle replied, "The night prayer is offered as two Rakat followed by two Rakat and so on and if anyone is afraid of the approaching dawn (Fajr prayer) he should pray one Raka and this will be a Witr for all the Rakat which he has prayed before." Nafi' told that 'Abdullah bin 'Umar used to say Taslim between (the first) two Rakat and (the third) odd one in the Witr prayer, when he wanted to attend to a certain matter (during that interval between the Rakat).​
[img=left]http://www.makedua.com/i/032-112.gif[/img]‘O Allaah, guide me along with those whom You have guided, pardon me along with those whom You have pardoned, be an ally to me along with those whom You are an ally to and bless for me that which You have bestowed. Protect me from the evil You have decreed for verily You decree and none can decree over You. For surety, he whom You show allegiance to is never abased and he whom You take as an enemy is never honoured and mighty. O our Lord, Blessed and Exalted are You.’

Allahumahdini fi mun hadayt,
wa 'afini fi mun 'afayt
wa tawalani fi mun tawalayt
wa qini sharra ma qadayt
fa innaka taqdiy wa la yuqdaa 'alayk
innahu la yathiloo mawwaalayt
tabarakta rabbana wa ta'alayt
la manja minka illa ilayk

So:

To Simplify it for you:
You pray your Isha prayer, because of course the 5 prayers we do in the day are the obligatory ones, these other prayers are not obligatory.

So after Isha:

You read 8 rakats like so :

The 8 are spilt into seperate units of 2. So each time you pray 2, you give salam and pray the next two.
So it is like:

2 x 2 x 2 x 2 - read any surah you like....

Then:
3 - witr. (last rakat you read the dua above before or after you come from Rukuh (bowing) )

You can pray the above with a congregation and the one who is leading can recite in a loud voice.

Also, it is sunnah that you visit mosque and pray in congregation. You can then listen to the Quran and be with other Muslims and there is a lot of reward in it.

Evidence for this and also More Information is available in the following Thread, which contains a downloadable Book, which also talks about legality of women going and praying the prayer at the mosque and the various ways to pray:

The Night Prayer in Ramadan By Imam Albani

InshaAllah, i hope this thread is of use, may Allah forgive me for any mistakes

wasalam.