NEEDING GUIDANCE

Wagma

I live in a household where we call ourselves muslims but do not live as practicing muslims. Yet we do respect our moral values and family ties strongly. Unfortunatly, todays younger generation has not been a good influence on my younger sister.

It saddens me deeply - especially in these last holy days of Ramadan to see my 18 year old sister go out with her boyfriend - party at clubs and come home late (very late) at night - making her parents in their 60's and 70's stay up all night and worry about her and cry. They let her have this lifestyle because they are afraid of losing her again. (She has run away from home because of restrictions in the past). I try guiding her but she rebels - I have used every tactic in the book but I get nothing but deaf ears from her- she is constantly in my prayers. I am desperate of finding a friend for her - some one who is near her age and who can help her understand the meaning of her religion and the right way of life and value of repecting parents. She is now wanting to marry a catholic man from Ecuador who she just met a month ago. She threatens to leave us if we restrict her - and my parents have been at her mercy - and this saddens me deeply also.
Does anyone know of any young adult muslim organization or club or event in the Dallas Texas area??
Your help is appreciated.

Submitter

:salam2:

Unfortunately, these are the difficult tests that face us in the 21st century, especially if you live in a wester country. Allah has given everyone on this earth a different test and each of us must sincerely try our best to pass the individual tests given to us by Allah.

It might make sense to think about why your sister is the way she is. Living in a western society obviously does not help but you say you do not live as practicing Muslims which, undoubtedly, also is a contributing factor. Quite often one of the biggest reasons a person becomes like this is due to the people around her, especially their friends. You are right to try and find a pious friend for her - someone of good character that can show her the right path. Keep looking!

Also, since you are not practicing Muslims, is it safe to assume you do not have much spirituality in the home? I feel this is very important and indeed is the reason Allah has enjoined salah on us - so that we may remember Him throughout the day. You should introduce some spirituality into your sisters life (and indeed your own if you are lacking it). Obviously you can't suddenly make her start praying 5 times a day or anything, but what about visiting your local mosque? Your mosque may have internal programs or weekly talks or lectures. Try and attend these. Try and take her to the mosque once a week - it may open up doors for her.

Sorry, I don't live in the US so have no idea about organisations or clubs, but hope this is helpful.