New-ish American Muslim

q8penpals

Salam Aliekum everyone!

I am Lana, 33 yrs, married to a Kuwaiti man. We live in Kuwait and I teacher at an Arabic/English Bilingual school here.

I came to Islam in Dec 2003.

I was formerly Roman Catholic, although not a practicing one. My family seems to be accepting, but only in a way - I think they believe it is just a phase I am going through and it will "wear off" sooner or later.

It is very hard to be a new Muslim in a Muslim country because first, being blond and blue eyed, no one ever thinks that I am a Muslim, and secondly, I get a bad vibe from many Kuwaiti women for "stealing" one of "their" men (Kuwait has a lot of rules that are very patriarchal, basically requiring Kuwaiti women to marry Kuwaiti men in order to receive social benefits from the government, but Kuwait men can marry anyone - hence, for every Kuwaiti man that marries a non-Kuwaiti, that is one less man for the Kuwaiti women). So even in a Muslim country, I feel very alone in my search for knowledge and understanding in my new faith. :girl3:

Anyway, here I am, ready to try to become a better Muslimah, insha'Allah!

Lana

allahsservant

beautifl muslimah
GOOD GOOD POST

I ENJOYED READING YOUR POST! I HOPE THE KUWAITI WOMEN COMETO ACCEPT YOU AND NOT THINK OF YOU AS "STEALING" THEIR MEN! WA ALAYKUM ASSALAM, ALISHA! (PS-READ MY INTRODUCTION PAGE TOO. MY NAME IS ALLAHS SERVANT!):salah: :hijabi:

AishaR

:salam2:

Welcome to the site dearest sister

Thanx for sharing your story with us. I am sorry you feel the way that you do & inshallah it will become easier for you. Remember that life is a test....... I had the same problem on a recent trip to Kashmir, being blonde & very pale skinned I stuck out like a sore thumb. In time though the locals did accept me & very friendly.
How long have you been in Kuwait??

My family also thought the same.... its a faze, i was brainwashed!!! Time is making things better with them as they can see how happy I am.

:wasalam:

Kayote

Assalam-u-Aliekum

Masha'Allah its good to see more people realise Islam to be the correct path.

Its so sad that these muslims cannot accept you for what you are. I lived it KSA (Saudi Arabia) & its sad how racist some of the 'muslims' are there.

Insha'Allah you will win these kuwaiti women with your better muslim spirit & conduct.

Take care & WaAliekum Assalam

Prosijak

Assalam-u-Aliekum Luna,

Welcomme to Islam sister, no mather where you are one is faced with difficulties. I hope that some of these Kuwaite women will see a rebith to Islam in you, and not someone who is stealing their husbands. You did one smart thing, you came to the best place to be learning about your new faith.
This website is the best thing I have ever discovered on the web. It's full of Information that satisfy my hunger for knowelidge. I hope it will help you in the same way.

Peace be upon you my sister and dont give up.

Submitter

:salam2:

Welcome to the website sister :) Subhanallah Allah has shown you the truth and you have accepted it. Don't worry too much about the problems you're facing in Kuwait. It is always difficult being the odd one out. Sometimes I feel the same here in the UK but you have to remember that Allah gives every single person on this earth their own unique test. The best thing you can do is remain patient and trust in Allah, then inshallah you will be rewarded. May Allah help you to pass your test and further strengthen your iman.

:wasalam: