New Muslim in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

My Heart Opened

Assalamu alaykum!

My Name is Scott. I'm a new Muslim as of Friday the 29th of August (3 days ago!), when I took the Shahadah at the local mosque. I never thought that I would tearfully and lovingly embrace a faith that at one time I mistakenly believed was perhaps the cause of so much misery in the world today.

A little background on myself. I was born back in 1967 (yeah, I'm old!) in Seattle, on the coast of Washington State. I was raised in the Latter Day Saint, or Mormon, faith tradition. Although I believed in what I was taught at church as spiritual truth, there was a teeny tiny lingering what if... uncertainty hiding in the back of my mind that just wouldn't go away. I ignored this as best I could, being told to never question the truth because that, in itself, was veiwed as opening a doorway to let Satan into my head. Now mind you, I'm not the kind of person that wanted to explore other faiths as an alternate possibility. But what if my faith in God was misguided? I was happy, wasn't I?

As my life progressed, I realized I could no longer believe in a faith blindly. This hurt. I decided that in order to find peace and correct my misgivings, I had to prove my beliefs were true. So began my journey.

Initially I researched my chosen faith (LDS) in depth expecting to find answers to strengthen my testimony in it. All I came up with was more questions and worst of all, vast scientific inaccuracies existed between the holy texts and proven discoveries. I won't go into exactly what they are, because I'm not here to insult a good faith, but as a lover of science (I'm not a strict evolutionist type) I needed logical justification of ideas presented within the holy texts. When this couldn't be met, I fell into despair. I tried to reconcile by analyzing the spiritual side alone, and that just made things worse. There was too many holes.

Quietly I regressed into a spiritual void. I no longer had faith in what I was raised under and I began to believe that perhaps God, still my only light, had no true religion on Earth. I researched multiple other faiths, but each one had severe shortcomings. Atheism does't prove anything. I didn't believe in reincarnation. I couldn't handle paganism. Why in Christianity did people need to pray through God's son or avatar and accept him (the son or avatar) as the only way to redemption by virtue of a sacrifice that makes no sense? Isn't God all powerful? Can't He just forgive?

Back then, I knew this in my heart:

1) There is only ONE God.
2) He doesn't need to split himself up or have a son.
3) Original sin does't exist (Mormons believe this also).
4) A person should be able to pray straight to The Source, without directing it through someone else.
5) I believed Jesus(pbuh) was perhaps a prophet whose teachings were corrupted.
6) A person shouldn't have to partake in secret ceremonies if he/she is pious enough to be let into heaven.
7) We don't reincarnate.
8) The Word of God (holy texts) should be unaltered by the hand of man. In otherwords, God's Book needs to be as it was when a prophet received the message in the first place. God's Word shouldn't have to "change with the times" or be twisted to "fit" a man-made ideal.
9) Atheism is a faith in itself. They (atheists) can't disprove the existence of God anymore than true believers can prove His existance to a non-believer with a closed heart. However, I chose to believe.

Does any of these concepts sound familiar?

Then one day about two years ago in a bookstore I came across a "Lonely Planet" travel guide to Morroco. I was just passing time sipping coffee so I picked it up and sat down. In it was a short description of the prevalent faith of the region, Islam. Even though I didn't take things for face value, wearn't these the guys that routinely beat their wives and forced conversion via sword or uzi? Didn't they all have a death wish for the West? Well, I really didn't believe that to be the case, but nonetheless it was one of the faiths still left waiting for me to research and find full of gaping holes. What I found out in that small synopsis sling-shot me straight over to the "religion" section whereupon I gabbed up a copy of "The Everything Understanding Islam Book" by Christine Huda Dodge.

As I began to read about Islam something wonderful touched my heart. This was NOT the violent faith the media loved to use as a scapegoat for world suffering, in fact, if anything, they couldn't have been further from the truth. Not only did this book dismiss any prejustices I may have had, but Islamic ideals were virtually the same as my own, only better. This inspired me to continue researching Islam.

One day months later it dawned on me that a small restaurant I frequented in Salt Lake City (I lived there for years but had moved to Idaho) was accually owned and run by Muslims. I knew these people for a while and they were perhaps the most honest, kind, generous, and friendly family I'd ever met. I just didn't know what faith they belonged to. I decided to stop in and ask a few questions. By this time I had read multiple books on Islam and I needed to talk to someone about it. I think I must have completely suprised the owner, Arif, when I brought up the subject. After a short discussion Arif asked me if I had read the Qu'ran and if I hadn't would I like to? Well, of course I would!

He didn't have a Qu'ran available but promised he would get me a copy on my next visit. After finishing my meal (man it was good!) I returned to Idaho Falls, Idaho where I was living at the time. I couldn't make it back to SLC for months, but when I did, I walked in and as promised, Arif had a Qu'ran in a drawer by the front counter for me to take home. Keep in mind this was months later. He kept it there all this time. That meant a lot to me.

The first chance I got I began to read and study it. I was amazed at the tone command it presented. Ideas were laid out in a unique repetative fashon that although slightly confusing in English, had the feel of poetry. I learned that in Arabic, the Qu'ran is considered to be the apex of poetic recital, unrivaled by anything or anyone else, of which mankind cannot better. Even in English, I was swept up into it and before I finished, I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that Allah, through the Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) had answered my prayers and opened my heart to what I have been searching for all my life. I could do nothing but weep and wipe tears from my face.

To bring this story to a temporary conclusion, I recently moved back to Salt Lake City. There are several Mosques in the area and I needed to be around others who share my faith. Arif took me in as a brother and I took the Shahadah last Friday. It's a big mosque, lots of Muslims from all over the world worship there. I never had to hug and grasp hands with so many people in my life! I feel truly fortunate! Thank you Allah, the Most Forgiving, the Most Compassionate! All Praises to Him!

I have so much yet to learn but with a joyous heart I start a new journey...

Happy Ramadan!

ousama34

5 X SALAH = JANAT
salam

:allahuakbar:
brother u r very lucky that ALLAH SUBHAN TAHLAH has shown u right path and u realized who the real CREATOR is in this lyf now brother just thank ALLAH for this valuable gift and keep on askin for guidence every single day from ALLAH through SALAH and DUA and make dua for all of the UMMAH that we muslims realize our real purpose in this lyf

zulfikar

a wonderful converting islam journey. especially your spiritual journey. you are inspirating me for asking more guidance from Allah pass through rasulullah, brother, syukron jazakallah khair.
I hope you will read my posts in the thread above: a brief illustrating guide to understanding islam, at pages three. hope you will get benefit for those.

palestine

Servant of Allah
as i was reading your story, i got goose bumps and tears began to form in my eyes. aren't you such a loved person by Allah, guiding you to the true way of life. by the way i studied utah in fourth grade. lol. it was easy to tell which one it was on the map. hurrah! asalamu alaykum wrwb.

hanni_mutiah

alhamdulillah

:salam2:

i :tti_sister: that you will always consistent of your choice and you faith and be muslim kaffah. dont forget to :salah: and always remember :shahadah:
and :hawla: im so :jumpclap: and excited to know your story

regards
:wasalam:
Hanni

ed209

"I could do nothing but weep and wipe tears from my face." Just as u mentioned, dear bro, this is also the same feeling after my conversion. In this world,there r always some ppl look for the truth sincerely and persistantly. And truth-seekers can always find his or her companions on earth. thx for yr experience, bro. U r really an honest and respectable man. It's my honor to be yr bro in this Deen. Thx. :SMILY288:

iqraa2live

Assalamo alaykum brother and welcome to the right path, your story is very moving because we know that Allah subhanahu wataala once you set your eyes on the truth, He will guide you and bless everystep you do. Again I want to welcome you and ask Allah subhanahu wataala to guid you and us to the straight path. Please feel free to ask us any questions or any concerns you may have.
Assalamo alaykum.

Shahzad

oh excellllllentt!! i cant control my emotions.

congratulations...

WAts ur profession by the way? as u have said that u have interest in science

Nayla

Assalamu'alaikum,

Wow, what a wonderfull spiritual journey ! I was borm muslimah, alhamdulillah. But it's always inspiring as well as thrilling for me to hear someone's journey into Islam.

It seemed to me that you've been guided to the right path since young. You're so much blessed.....

Welcome to the brotherhood of Islam !

Wassalam,
Nayla

bangnapi

Fabiayyi'alaairabbikumaatukadzibaan? فَبِأَىِّ ءَالَآءِ رَبِّكُمَا تُكَذِّبَانِ (Ar Rahmaan)

I'm sure you'd found the greatest gift, congratulation!

Al-Salam

Your Sister In Islam
salam.

Masha Allah brother, what a beautiful yet touching story. i'm really out of words. congratulations on your convertion to islam, and may Allahs blessings shower upon you dear brother.

salam wa rahmat allah wa barakatou.

Ramadan Moubarak.:ma:

iqbal313

Allah guides his slave to righteousness

:salam2:A religion which does not offer any incentives in this world and promise to be rewarded for good deeds in a life after death of no one has ever experienced. And there is no guarantee ur five time prayers daily ur month long fasting yearly, ur charities ur hajj among a crowd of 30 millions shall be acceptable with Allah...and u r looked down upon as barbaric, uncivilized, terrorist...So to be a muslim is not easy and it never was even for the chosen messengers of Allah... to come to this faith voluntarily at this juncture that too from western christian culture is aa definite proof that brother has been given hidaayah by the Almighty in His all encompassing Compassion... My Allah unite us all in his Jannah in the here after...insha Allah

My Heart Opened

Life is Beautiful!

Where do I begin...?:SMILY231:

Thank you everyone for all the kind and uplifting words! I feel truly blessed... this entire experience kind of left me speechless!

Sorry it's taken me so long to post a reply, I've been really busy trying to find work since I just moved back to Salt Lake City (actually I live in a suburb called Clearfield ) last week, not to mention that I've been spending a lot of time on the highway. The Masjid Khadeeja (the mosque I attend services at) is about 25 or 30 miles from where I live and the traffic congestion from all the massive road construction makes travel a bit slow.

Now to reply to a few brothers and sisters...

To palestine: So you studied Utah in fourth grade? Did anyone ever mention that it's also affectionately referred to as Planet Utah? It's a world into itself...!:SMILY27:

To hanni mutiah: Allah has been gracious enough to somehow show me the true light. Truth is permanent. Islam is Truth. How could I argue with that? Allahu Akbar! Right now I'm just trying to :salah: correctly!

To thariq2005: You are not late! I'm thankful for all the kind replies I've received! I'm overjoyed that this story has touched a few hearts...

To ed209: Your reply made me wipe another tear off my face... thank you!

To Shahzad: I'm actually a graphic artist. I've been giving thought about going back to college to get a degree in geology inshaAllah. The inner mechanism of Allah's universe fascinates me to no end. The idea of going back to school is daunting. I'm 40 and a degree will take me years to achieve. I guess the only good thing about it is the average age of a geologist is 55!

To Nayla: I often think to myself how fortunate people are who were born into Islam. These are the people I feel are truly blessed! I guess for me the old saying of "better late than never" holds true!:)

To iqbal313: If a religion promises salvation for little more effort than blind faith alone without a concern for your actions, well, it sounds too good to be true, doesn't it? Being a Muslim in today's climate is certainly a challenge for all of us, but Allah didn't promise an easy, free ride to Heaven!

And for all of the rest of you who took time to reply: Your posts uplifted me greatly. I'll keep posting. I don't know if I'm replying properly because I'm new to the whole forum environment. Being new to Islam has made my life really interesting. I'm sure it's just the beginning!

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
Salamalaykum,

Masha Allah Allah hu Akbar masha Allah brother welcome to Islam please accept my heartly warm welcomin greeting. Jazak Allah for tellin us about ur journey to Islam as it will boost us insha Allah. May Allah make things easy for u and give u the strength courage to understand and follow Islam properly. Ameen. Brother please remember me in ur dua's .

Once again welcome to Islam welcome to TTI and Ramadan Mubarak.

Jazak Allah Khair.

aelshamy

I often think to myself how fortunate people are who were born into Islam. These are the people I feel are truly blessed! I guess for me the old saying of "better late than never" holds true!:)
Dear brother,
I am born Muslim and I always thank Allah for being a Muslim but I think that you - who converted to Islam - are more fortunate. you overcame your inherited beliefs and you were very brave when you took decision which will change your whole life.

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
:salam2:

Allahu Akbar !

Welcome brother to Islam and to the forum. Its great to have you with us. Your story is truly inspiring and it shows that one who strives for the truth God always guide them to it.
As for those who strive hard in Us (Our Cause), We will surely guide them to Our Paths (i.e. Allâh's religion - Islâmic Monotheism). And verily, Allâh is with the Muhsinûn (good doers)."[]
Al Quran 29:69

Nayla

Assalamu'alaikum,

I often think to myself how fortunate people are who were born into Islam. These are the people I feel are truly blessed! I guess for me the old saying of "better late than never" holds true!

"....every baby born into this world is moeslem. it's his/her parents who makes him/her Christian, Jews, etc...."

You were moeslem when you were born. You were blessed. Coming back to Islam after " lost " for many years, you are so much blessed.
I live in a country where moeslem is majority ( Indonesia ). The challenges here are not as tough as you have where moeslem is minority. The fact that living in a country where moeslem is minority didn't keep you away from searching for the truth is great. That's the real fortunate.... :)

Wassalam,
Nayla

palestine

Servant of Allah
brother i thought you said you were old. you're really not. anyhow mashaAllah and i thougth this video would be good, since it might or does relate to islam and to you in a way.

enjoy!
[yt]nvIO5tgqsVE[/yt]