New Muslimah from NY

SabrSeeker1214

Asalaamu alaikum,

I was directed to this site by another sister because I was looking for information about learning Egyptian Arabic. After browsing for a bit, I decided I'd like to join. Insha'Allah this is okay...

A little about me:
My name is Linda, but online I go by Qurratulain. Either is fine with me. I am 25 years old and a revert to Islam since August 2005, alhamdulillah. I have two children - 7 y/o twin boys. I am married. I live in New York (Queens).

Insha'Allah I will get to know you all better. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

-Linda

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Assalamu alaikum Sister,

Welcome to the forum. I hope we will benefit from you as much as you benefit from this site. May I ask: why Egyptian Arabic?:SMILY206:

SabrSeeker1214

Wa'alaikum asalaam,

My husband is Egyptian and I am hoping to be able to communicat with my in-laws better. I am saddened by the fact that our conversations are so limited due to the language barrier.

I had taken it upon myself to try to learn Arabic (under the assumption that all Arabic was the same) only to learn I had taught myself bits and pieces of Syrian that Egyptians wouldn't know (according to my dh). Thus the preference for Egyptian Arabic. :)

-Linda

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum Salam Wa Rahmatullah,

welcome dear sister...

I can teach some Lebanese Arabic loll

Dunno Egyptian, one of the brothers here, he teaches Egyptian Arabic. Islamic Fajr.

However, dialects aside, we must seek learn Fus7a (foos-ha), as that is the language of the Quran.... and it is still in wide use today. (it is also the most commonly used and understood Arabic).

Wasalam.

SabrSeeker1214

Wa'alaikum asalaam Mabsoot,

Jazak allah khair for the welcome. As far as the Qu'ran goes, I tend to teach myself by reading a transliteration, listening to a recitation, then re-writing the transliteration so that I can pronounce it. I also compare it to a translation. Perhaps not a complete grasp, but at least partial. As a convert, there are many things I have yet to learn and I have not put a huge stress on it. Insha'Allah I will be guided to what I need to learn at the right times. :)

-Linda

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Welcome again Sister.

As Brother Mabssot mentioned, we should try our best to learn proper Arabic which is fusha. It is the language that Allah chose for the Qur`an. I think if you learn it and use it to speak with your husband`s family, you will encourage them to speak with you in fusha too. You will then gain more thawab (good deeds) for your striving to learn, and for them learning to speak the language of the Qur`an.

I don`t know. Just a suggestion. If you do learn to speak with the Egyptian dialect, watch out. Don`t let it affect the way you recite the Qur`an, especially during prayers. :astag: For example, the arabic letter ''jeem'' is pronounced ''g'' in the Egyptian dialect, and not ''j'' as it is supposed to be.

My mother is Egyptian, so I know quite a bit about their dialect.

SabrSeeker1214

I do appreciate the advice, and I also understand what you're saying about the thawab. At this point in time, to me, Egyptian Arabic and Qu'ranic Arabic are two different distinct things to me, so I would not interchange one with the other. I am trying not to put too much stress on myself to do everything just so because over the past year I've had a minor crisis of faith so to speak and nearly turned away from Islam because of all of the pressure to do everything perfectly. I have learned that as long as I am doing my best, and continuing to strive to be better, even if slowly, insha'Allah it is enough. Allah, subhana wa ta'ala, knows my intentions. :) Jazak allah khair for the advice again.

maymun

asalaamu alaikum

my dear sister
ahalan wasahlan
welcome to the site and family
arabic is the key of deen more we learn abaric the more we understand our beautiful deen.
keep it up the good work and study hard allah will help u insha allah.
may be if u go to egypt in the furture u'll arabic < lol> becze they are very friendly people as they say <masr umu dunyaa>
once again welcome to the family and enjoy staying with us

may allah <swt> gether us all in garden of paradise:tti_sister: :tti_sister:
your sister in islam
maymun
:wasalam:

maymun

I do appreciate the advice, and I also understand what you're saying about the thawab. At this point in time, to me, Egyptian Arabic and Qu'ranic Arabic are two different distinct things to me, so I would not interchange one with the other. I am trying not to put too much stress on myself to do everything just so because over the past year I've had a minor crisis of faith so to speak and nearly turned away from Islam because of all of the pressure to do everything perfectly. I have learned that as long as I am doing my best, and continuing to strive to be better, even if slowly, insha'Allah it is enough. Allah, subhana wa ta'ala, knows my intentions. :) Jazak allah khair for the advice again.
:salam2:
sister your right don't put too much pressure on your self just learn slowly slowy to understand deep down :) try u best insha allah.and take u time to learn.
take care
and may allah to guide us all:tti_sister: :tti_sister:
:wasalam: