New person! Assalaamu alaikum bros and sis

MubarekMuslimah

Assalaamu alaikum my dear brothers and sisters,

I discovered this site today and masha'allah it is amazing. I love it, alhamdulillah so interesting so I was compelled to join and now I am writing to introduce myself...

My name is Layla, I live in the UK and I have been Muslim now 3 years since Ramadan 2003 alhamdulillah.

In my first year as a Muslim I tried very hard and went out some big chnages to introduce Islam to my life - like reading salat, not going out in the evenings anymore or to any mukroo or haraam environments, getting married :) and only eating halal meat. I was working a very stressful job and this was the most I could manage. It is now 3 years and over the last year I have taken it upon myself alhamdulillah to learn more - I really feel that I have increased my Islamic knowledge of Quran and hadith and my iman is stronger I can feel it.

I have one problem still to go and that is I do not wear hijaab as yet. I am in a new job now and I really should have started th job wearing it but I bottled out (last year) and I have been putting it off - my nafs is still controlling me to some extent in this area unfortunately.

Some days I want to put it on and others I think "no I am not ready!" I dress modestly all the time and observe every other aspect of the Islamic dress code for women - this took some getting used to in my 1st year as a Muslimah but I actually cannot abide going out now if I am not covered properly but still I cannot seem to put the hijaab on. I feel bad and I want to do something about it but I can't seem to muster the courage - i am scared what people will say and think of me, not just strangers in the street but the people I work with, my friends who are not Muslim and my family of course - I don't think they will like it or understand.

My husband does not push me but he makes it clear that he would prefer I wear it and I know he is right - I know every reason why it is commanded by Allah swt for me to wear it and I know that just that Allah swt commands it, should be enough for me. I don't know how I have managed to do so much to come to Islam but I can't do this little thing and put a peice of material over my hair - its so silly.

I think it is partly due to the fact I am quite shy and do not like to be the centre of attention I never have so I am too worried what others will think and drawing attention to myself - I know I am just making excuses really.:(

My husband and I are trying for children and when I get pregnant insha'allah (please make du'a for us) and go on maternity leave I will wear my hijaab then insha'allah - I have made this promise to Allah swt. My family and firends will just have to deal with it then. Is it bad of me to make this promise to Allah swt considering I should not set a time limit on this as by not wearing it I am commiting haraam and should just sort it out now? I don't know but if I am not wearing it by then I will do it then insha'allah.

Is anyone in a similar situation?

I am so looking forward to chatting to you all insha'allah and contributing to the discussions - I hope I get to know you all well insha'allah.

My Allah swt shower you all with blessings and help us hold tight to the rope of Unity insha'allah.

Salaams

Layla

Phew! That tunred into more of an essay than I thought it was gonna be! sorry!

Beko29

Im LoViNg It.. ISLAM
:salam2:
Welcome sister.

yes this is a very good site,i hope one day u will wear hijab on our own,
and i really hope :inshallah: ALLAH (swt) will reward u and ur husband whit a child. and ill make Dua for u.

But i have to say its not a good promis u have made, everyday u dont wear hijab is Haram for u. its like if ALLAH (swt) Bless u whit a child (INSALLAH) u will wear Hijab. what if it takes 10 years before u gets pregnant? will u commit Haram the next 10 years?? MY sister u should wear Hijab because u LOVE ur DEEN and ALLAH (swt)....
The Hijab is fard ain, ie a must, she who does not wear the hijab is sinning in the eyes of God in much the same way as she/he who does not pray or fast in Ramadan

YOu need only take a walking step towards Allah for him to hasten to your side. You have only to stretch your hand and He will be beside you and care for you.

:wasalam:
your brother.

Hasib

:wasalam:

Welcome to TTI and hope you will be contributing by sharing more of your experiences in reverting to Islam and will ask more about Islam.

About the hijab, I think you should bring courage to your heart and ware it as brother beko said. You could watch the new muslim sections vids where you will see the experiences of other revert sisters.
Initially your friend might feel uneasy but gradually it will become ok for them incha-allah but most imortantly you will be doing this for Allah which is most important. hope you can get the strenght in your heart to wear the hijab.

:jazaak:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:salam2:

Welcome to the Website sister Layla. MashaAllah that is a nice introduction that you wrote, may Allah bless you and your family. Amin.

As for hijab, it is an obligatory action like other actions that a muslim should do.

You say that you have Shyness from doing it, but remember that we should not have shyness from something that is a good action. We need to be proud and confident of ourselves and our beliefs :) Allah is with us, and he is watching over us all the time. So the shyness is infact impeding the way we practise our faith by giving more importance to what people might think of us. We are scared of what people might think and not of God.

This life is a test, and shaytan will put so many ideas in our heads. For example, and he will go to great lengths to cofuse us. For example, we might hurry our prayers so that we can go out and play football..... OR he might even make us delay our prayers. This in reality is us putting things infront of our Islam. We give more importance to football or TV than to worshipping Allah. This is indeed, Shirk in our worship. Where we have an obligation which is due upon us, and we have neglected it opting for something we feel is more important.

Whether or not we feel it is more important is not the issue. Our actions dictate that.

So im just giving some examples, in reality there are a million and one scenarios that can happen to any of us.... and it is particularly hard to be firm on the deen especially in the West.

The Prophet :saw: said:

"After you there are going to be days of patience. The patience during that time is like the one clutching on to a hot coal. The one who works and does good deeds during that time will receive the reward of fifty men who do deeds similar to him".

They asked, "O Messenger of Allaah, fifty people of them [at that time]?" He answered,
"The reward of fifty from among you [the Companions]" [Abu Dawud]

THere is also another hadith about Muslims being strange in all times:

The Prophet :)saw:) said "Islaam began as something strange and it will revert to how it began as something strange. So glad tidings of Paradise to the strangers"

The people asked, "Who are they, O Messenger of Allaah?" He answered, "Those who are pious and righteous when the people have become evil." (Ahmad)

---------

InshaAllah i think that once you wear the hijab it will get easier. May Allah help you and all of us become stronger in our Deen. We all have to strive hard in the deen, and indeed Allah rewards the one who tries and is sincere the most :)

You should not delay in wearing hijab, whats so special or significant in delaying the action? This is just something from Shaytan.. he doesnt want us to be doing good actions and wants to delay and make mankind stay astray.

All of us are the children of Adam and sometimes we have a struggle to face (a jihad!) and inshaAllah we can face them and overcome them.. and we will get a lot of reward from Allah :swt: if we do.

The Prophet :saw: told us in a hadith that Allah says: "...Whoever draws near to me a handspan, I will come to him the extent of a forearm. Whoever draws near to me the length of a forearm, I will come to him the length of two outstretched arms. Whoever comes to me walking, I will come to him at speed. And whoever comes to me with the Earth’s weight in sin without associating anything with me, I will come to him with forgiveness of equal measure.” [Sahîh Muslim].

Here is a nice Article you Can Read:

Tips for Beginning to Wear The Hijab

Take Care sister, look forward to hearing from you again

Wasalamu Alaykum