New study of effects of the Wall in Palestine

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Mayssa Abu GhazalahI - MEMC News

September 13, 2007

The Civil Committee for the Defense of the Rights of Palestinians in Jerusalem published a report on Thursday documenting the effects of the illegal Israeli Wall on the lives of Palestinians in and around the city.

When complete the Wall surrounding Jerusalem will be 181 km long and 27 Palestinian communities will be directly affected. Up to 15,000 Palestinians with Jerusalem ID living outside the Wall will be denied access to the city, preventing them from working there. In addition 1,835 families have been forced to move home.

Land confiscation:

19.2% of land owned by Palestinians in Jerusalem and 5.3% of Palestinian-owned land in the West Bank has been confiscated to make way for the Wall.

A total of 11,100 dunums were requisitioned for construction purposes and 40,985 will be disconnected from their owners (one dunum is 1,000 square meters).

Social life:

21.4% of Palestinian families have been separated from relatives (15.5% inside the Wall and 32.6% outside)

18% of families now live apart from their fathers and 27% from their mothers.

72.1% of families have at least one member who cannot now reach their university or college in the West Bank and 69% have lost access to schools.

The proportion of families reporting that they would not want a family member to marry someone with West Bank ID has risen from 31.6% to 69.4%.

Movement:

94.7% of families report that the time taken to get through checkpoints has severely affected their ability to move around the city.

25% of Palestinian-owned shops have closed down because of restrictions on movement and high taxes on Palestinians living in the city.

34.5% of families suffer from lack of health care as they no longer have access to hospitals in the West Bank.

84.6% of families say their ability to visit relatives in the West Bank has been badly affected.

Translated By: Ghassan Bannoura – IMEMC News Room.

http://www.uruknet.info/?p=m36237&hd=&size=1&l=e

Zarra

Salam,

It's really such shocking statistics, isn't it? Israel occupation can be easily compared to the aparteid suffered by black South Africans up until quite recently.

I was trying to find a poll taken in Israel which demonstrated just how the majority of Israelis polled thought of Palestinians as worse than second class citizens. I truly believe that history will show the Israeli occupation of Palestine as one of the most heinous crimes against humanity of recent history apart from the illegal Iraqi war and its subsequent occupation.

The international ummah has to properly organise itself to put pressure on regimes such as the Israeli one to act within the confines of international law, inshallah.

Wa'salam.

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
:salam2:

I agree the statistics are horrible. I just watched a video about the illegal building of the wall and how it has affected the Palestinians.I couldn't stop crying...

:wasalam:

Zarra

Salam, sis.

It's appalling, isn't it?

There was a study carried out by Glasgow University a couple of years ago, which basically polled a cross section of British society about the Israeli occupation and how it was perceived by people gleaning their information from the BBC. The results were amazing; the majority of those polled believed that Israel were the victims of Palestinian agression and that Israel was being occupied by Palestine.

I'll try to find the study, inshallah.

I couldn't find it, but alhamdilah I found this piece from BBC's website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3829967.stm

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
Salam, sis.

It's appalling, isn't it?

There was a study carried out by Glasgow University a couple of years ago, which basically polled a cross section of British society about the Israeli occupation and how it was perceived by people gleaning their information from the BBC. The results were amazing; the majority of those polled believed that Israel were the victims of Palestinian agression and that Israel was being occupied by Palestine.

I'll try to find the study, inshallah.

I couldn't find it, but alhamdilah I found this piece from BBC's website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3829967.stm

The article is interesting and sad that majority of the population has it twisted. :jazaak:

Especially this part
"Many BBC News Online readers blamed the "breaking news" culture for reducing news to sound bites instead of offering comprehensive coverage of one of the world's most covered but least understood conflicts. "

Personally I agree. Whenever we see something "breaking" on the news channel. What happens? Everyone jumps to conclusions to point fingers. That is the problem because most people see the "breaking" news points and listen to the opinion then shut off the tv. Forgive me if I am wrong, but this is what I personnally see with the people around me. Some reporters definitely use the wrong words for issues. I think the whole ummah can agree on that when reporters throw around the word "jihad".

Anyways I am gonna stop here because I can go on all day.

Zarra

The article is interesting and sad that majority of the population has it twisted. :jazaak:

Especially this part
"Many BBC News Online readers blamed the "breaking news" culture for reducing news to sound bites instead of offering comprehensive coverage of one of the world's most covered but least understood conflicts. "

Personally I agree. Whenever we see something "breaking" on the news channel. What happens? Everyone jumps to conclusions to point fingers. That is the problem because most people see the "breaking" news points and listen to the opinion then shut off the tv. Forgive me if I am wrong, but this is what I personnally see with the people around me. Some reporters definitely use the wrong words for issues. I think the whole ummah can agree on that when reporters throw around the word "jihad".

Anyways I am gonna stop here because I can go on all day.

True, enough, sister. There always seems to be a rush to excite us with 'breaking news' but it shouldn't always be the viewers responsibility to look for the history behind current events to ensure that the coverage they're watching isn't biased.