newbie here confused; friends anyone?

nurbegum

Salâm aleikum and hi everybody,
Am all new here and confused in more ways than one - the site seems too "complicated" still, and I'm sort of torn between Islam and Christianity. I'm new to Islam although as a non-Muslim I did know things about this religion and all, but it's different when you actually are to start practising!!
I'm German from Turkey, was born in Turkey and even have a Turkish first name. Being born, that was back in April 1966 in izmir. I used to live in the izmir area as child as my father and later also my mum were working there. My father also grew up in Turkey as his father fled to Turkey from the Nazis in Germany when my father was just a toddler and the family stayed there for at least 15 years.
I'm used to having international people around me and also Muslims. I think because of Turkey I have also been drawn to Islam for as long as I can remember. The sound of Azan has always been the most beuatiful sound to me!! I now have it on my Tablet aka my mini computer :hearts: as well as the Koran/Quran etc.An

Anyway I now live in Finland, am married to a Belgian with two children and three cats. I have studied Christian theology btw, among other things. I'm now also a student at the Uni of Helsinki, because I have a lot of health problems it's only part-time. I have many hobbies and interests, like and love lots. . .
I now don't really have any Muslim.friends here now. I just emailed a lady who is a friend of a friend just saying I'm very interested in Islam to start with... Inshallah she'll answer or sth.
I would be glad if I could get new friends here too, and part of you are Muslim lol!!!

Peace, blessings & prayers,
nur aka inci (the latter is pronounced in-djee) :hijabi:

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
Asslamaliekum warahmatullahi wabrakatu,
Welcome to TTI. :) Inshallah you can find many sisters here who would like to be your friend and assist you out. Yes I know the site is a bit difficult to use but please keep patience inshallah after 15 post you should be able to access most of the features of your account, the restrictions are there to prevent spammers and trolls.

You are torn b/w Islam and christianity? This is something that needs to be addressed soon, its a waswasah from shaitan.
OK lets try to fix this, lets consult bible scholars who reverted to Islam (Please do watch, really interesting):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKXKKyyXG4g[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op_GxIK_iO4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlx9lLqJ8rU[/ame]

If you need some resources, some lectures and short advises:
http://www.youtube.com/user/QuranWeekly
http://www.youtube.com/user/OneWayToParadise

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakaatuh,

Welcome to TTI dear sister. We are pleased to have you with us. Inshaa`Allaah you'll enjoy and benefit from your stay at TTI.

A German from Turkey living in Finland. Mashaa'Allaah that's interesting *Smile*. I think you'll find all three sorts of sisters here lol.

You should meet our dear sister Harb. She is from finland. As far as I know, she's going to be welcoming you here sooner than later. Inshaa`Allaah the two of you will get along just fine. You may even get to meet each other.

I encourage you ask your questions and stuff that is keeping you hanging between Islam and Christianity. Our brothers and sisters here, who Allaah has blessed with knowledge, will be more than happy to answer your questions Inshaa`Allaah.

Oh and Mabrook on your reversion *Smile*, welcome to the largest family on Planet Earth i.e The Muslim Ummaah.

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Wa aleikum salam

You choosed good this site for learning about islam and muslims, alhamdullilah...i appreciate that you started with salam aleikum even if you are new in islam, may peace be upon you too and may Allah guide you to the truth.

:salam2:

WannabeHijabi

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
:salam2:

Assalaamu 'aleikum wa rahmatullah wa barukatah sister! Welcome to TTI and welcome to Islam.

Insha'allah you will quickly become used to the forums and how they work, and learn a lot in the process. I know I have.

Feel free to take a look around as there's plenty of articles, downloads and guides to help you in learning about Islam, how to pray, learning Arabic and also things like poetry, nasheeds and lectures.

Please ask questions as I know that there are sisters and brothers here who will be more than willing to answer them, no matter what the subject.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Welcome to TTI. It is not complicated.

Christian theology is fun to read. But the application of Christianity to life makes no sense.

Islam makes sense. That is why you are drawn to it.

I have one suggestion, concentrate on Islam for a bit. What draws you to the Faith of Allah subhana wa taala. What is the biggest fear you have of conversion. What is lacking in your life.

You do not have to respond to any of these questions, as I do not want to pry into anything personal. But, it would make the thinking process easier.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum,

welcome to forum dear sister. Your story sounds interesting as I am living in Finland too. If you like to talk with another muslim sister, be free to contact to me by pm.

:hearts:

I don´t live in Helsinki but I know some sister there and I might ask her too talk with you if you like.

Your sister in Islam,
sister Harb

nurbegum

Thank You! & Trinity/Jesus

Salâm aleikum again,
Sorry it has been taking me a while, but I only found these replies to my intro post yesterday evening, and it didn't help that I have been and am ill (that is, a bad cold with fever, nothing worse, knocked me out completely and I have got some other infections as a follow-up, went to the doc a couple of days ago and got meds... this on top of my "normal", permanent sort of health problems)... Anyway the main point is I was so stupid to forget to subsribe to this "line":shymuslima1: - so finally yesterday evening I searched out my message and was happy to find all your answers, I mean it's heart-warming to notice how I was welcomed here and I don't have to be alone with my ideas of Islam... and my problem with being torn between Christianity and Islam.
BTW, what does "waswasah" mean? I'm afraid I don't know any Arabic! (Just some expressions... esp my grandmother, who was Christian, and the rest of us in the family used the Turkish "InşAllah" ;)...) Well I am in agony somehow so Shaytan could be at work. Anyway Brother Itqan Ullah, thanks for the "films"; I watched them with interest. I did the same kind of studies as the ex-priest but am more familiar with only Lutheran protestants while for the others the Bible is more important, and of course Catholic Christianity because I myself at least used to be one of them, which also sees the Scrpiture somewhat differently from many protestants. What they did completely neglect to mention is the concept of "tradition" in Christianity... I am not sure if I should start explaining it here as we are talking about Islam, or if anyone is interested. While Judaism, Christianity and Islam are of course all "Religions of the Book", there is a great difference between the Quran/Koran and the Bible in a lot of ways in the respective religions.
I could identify at least partly or maybe for a great part with the ex-priest, now Muslim brother... The new things that came into my life and that seem to make me consider Islam really seriously now is that I no longer can believe or understand the Trinity, plus it is easier to believe in Jesus as a special Prophet. In the past I have really thought a lot about the Trinity, meditated upon it, believed in it, understood in it. Long ago when my daughter was 3 (she is now 17), I was able to explain the Trinity so that we both understood it! But I have forgotten it all and a lot about my studies. Well it was many years ago, and then my health problems affect my memory. It could be worse, I have met people with whom it is worse indeed eg in hospital, but it still annoys me. (I'm studying part-time since a bit again but until now have been at my other Faculty which is called the one of Human Sciences, but the former name Arts and Letters makes probably more sense in English!).
I will write a bit more later. By the way, I would still appreciate new friends! ;) And yes, I find this site helpful!!
Peace, Prayers and Blessings,
nur/inci (sister?)

UmQassim

Asalam alaykum dear sister. welcome to Islam! This is a great blessing from ALLAH (SWT). I am new here too, although I have been lurking around for quite some time. I found this to be a very warm and beneficial site.

I look forward to getting to know you and all the other sisters here Insha-Allah. I am from Canada btw :)

UmQassim

UmQassim

BTW, what does "waswasah" mean?

From what I understand, waswaas refers to the whispers of the Shaytan. here is a relevant fatwa (ruling) regarding waswaas on a specific subject matter and is reliable Insha-Allah. It also provides practical ways to help prevent and cope with it Insha-Allah.

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/islamqa/10160

I usually go on this website and do a search on various topics. I'm not sure if they still answer questions as I recall sending them a question a few months back and did not get an answer. Either they are severely back logged or are no longer operative. However, this website has been recommended to me a at least two reliable persons of knowledge Insha-Allah.

Also, when I have any questions to ask, I usually go on *!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*! every friday 9:30 am EST with Brother Abu Mussab and Sundays at 10:15 am with Sheikh Assim AL Hakeem for a live Q&A Alhamdulillah. In addition, Sheikh Assim's website http://www.assimalhakeem.net/ is also helpful and usually provides answers to questions in only a few days Masha-Allah, Alhamdulillah. Also, *!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*! has a few othr speakers that come on for lectures and live Q&As Masha-Allah.

Finally, if you have an interest in seeking some formal Islamic Education, you may consider visiting the Islamic Online University website http://islamiconlineuniversity.com/ which was initiated by Dr Bilal Phillips ( may ALLAH reward him for his efforts) and offers diploma and degree programs teaching Islamic education according to the Sunnah Insha-Allah. The diploma courses are free and at your own pace while the degree courses has a small registration fee ($120 I think), offered in the spring and fall semesters, and the courses are free also Alhamdulillah.

Plus, you'll find a lot of useful information on this forum as well- start with the stickys :)

I hope this helps Insha-Allah. sorry for bombarding with so much information lol. But I just thought that it would be a good place to start Insha-Allah.

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
Waliekumasslam warahmatullahi wabarakatu,
May Alllah (swt) grant you best health & emaan.
As I said before feel free to ask concerning any any topic, Inshallah we'll try to help as much we can.

I am not sure what you mean by "film" but my appoligies if you disliked the vids.

Jews & Christians are "people of the book" but previous revelations aren't in their original pure form which is why there are doctrinal differences and its not only between Christians & Muslims but between Jew & Christians aswell since Jews don't believe in Trinity,etc...

Abbaas

To Allah We belong..
Wa alaikum salaam,
Welcome to TTI, May Allah make it easy for you to learn more about Islam, insha'allah. Ameen

nurbegum

Thank you again/liked vids/towards Islam...

Selam aleikum, I again wish to thank for all the kind messages. I have indeed concentrated on Islam more now and have been busy trying to learn to pray with the help of this website, which has been helpful indeed, and it seems I'm closer to reverting now ;)

Oh no, I did like the "vids", at the time when I was writing my last message here I had a blackout (English is a foreign language to me on top of everything) and "film" seemed to come closest to something you can view - though they actually were not films but episodes of a talk show. As I said, they were interesting and I could relate with the Christian theologian, who reverted to Islam. And of course I know about the differences of the "books" in Judaism, Christianity and Islam, and I only mentioned only Christianity and Islam because these two were the relevant ones.
The Bible was first material passed on via narration (orally) and there are many "origins" or rather "sources" of different parts of the Bible, this was explained in the programme, with different people (who often cannot be named anymore) writing down and these bits and pieces were put otgether. But there is something called Tradition in Christianity that saw to it that the Bible was being formed in the right way and also that Christianity is developing in the right way... I', not starting to explain this here, just wanted to meantion it - as I said in my last message, the only thing I "criticised" about the programmes of the show was that they didn't mention the tradition thingy.
Because I'm the type of Christian who was famiiliar with it also in my studies in Theology years ago, it doesn't "do" so much to me when someone says the Trimity isn't reallyfound in the Bible. It really doesn't seem it appears in the Bible clearly, but it was a dogma formed later, as the Church develops with time as it developed in the past and that's where "Tradition" comes in. Well, there aare protestants that want to concentrate on the Bible alone, but in my mind it just doesn't work the "sola Scriptura" way... I used to be a Catholic Christian famiiliar with Lutherans, the protestants closest to Catholicism).
But all that blah blah (sorry for it, didn't want to confuse anyone) is irrelevant to the fact that I have problems believing in the Trinity, I can't explain the Trinity in any way that would make sense anymore. There is beauty in the clear Monotheism in Islam!
Allah is Merciful as so often said, isn't He (SWT)? One of my fears somehow is the forgiving of the sins as I used to find it very strongly in Christiany... This is a psychological issue mainly I guess... but I need not be afraid, need I?
Hope to get to know you all here... I think this is all for today. Oh I forgot to say I have health issues which affect also my memory and my ability to concentrate on things (Hence also the blackout not remembering "video"). That makes me worry about my ability to learn Arabic esp while there are also other languages I want to learn like my Turkish back!
Oh yes, I would really like to see more of the Deen show! And thanks for the hints on the websites, didn't have time to go there yet... the many !!!! hehe, and I suppose those EST things are in the middle of the night for me, but we'll see...
Selam... peace, prayers and Blessings of Allah (SWT),
nurbegum, hopefully sister and thank you for calling me that! :hijabi:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Among the Beautiful names of Allah include:

The Most Merciful, the Oft-Forgiving, The Just, The Clement, The Exalter, The Forebearing, the Benign, and the Manifest and the Pardoner

These are all elements of Mercy.

Islam is about forgiveness.