Nightmares!!!

Nur Sarah

:bismillah: :salam2: hello brothers and sisters. i have been having problems sleeping the past few days. i have for the first time in my life take time in learning islam and praying all 5 times and a few extra at night. i am wearing the head cover and my manners are decent. However this is a suden change...for the past few nights i have been having nightmares. i can not go into detail for they are not decent and i am ashame to state some of them. in some i lose the ones close to me. i am hated and feared. everything around me falls apart. And yet when i wake up i am so thankful that my life is not of that of my dreams. is there anything i can do to keep peace when i sleep? is there anything i can say before i sleep to ensure safety when i sleep. thank you for your time.:wasalam: Nur Sarah

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

:salam2:

I know a supplication before going to sleep sis.

"Allah humma bismika ammotu aheyah" (I know this one by heart,I have not got the translation with me at the moment,but inshallah I will try and get it tommorow)

P.S If this is wrongly written please someone correct me,I have written it the way I read..:blackhijab:

Allah(Swt) knows best

:wasalam:

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member

Here's some advice regarding sleeping:

1. Sleep in a state of taharah (purity).

Ibn Abbas reported that Allaah's Messenger said: “Purify these bodies and Allaah will purify you, for there is no slave who goes to sleep in a state of purity but an Angel spends the night with him, and every time he turns over, [the Angel] says, 'O Allah! Forgive Your slave, for he went to bed in a state of purity.'” [Reported by at-Tabaranee. See Saheeh al-Jamee (3831)]

2. Sleep early.

Sleeping early is a healthy habit and it was the practice of Allaah's Messenger to sleep directly after performing the Isha prayer. Abu Barzah al-Aslami said that the Prophet used to prefer to delay Isha, and he did not like to sleep before it or talk after it.” [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

3. Clean the bed and lie on the right side.

Abu Hurayrah reported: The Prophet said: “When any one of you goes to bed, let him clear his bed by hitting it with his garment, for he does not know what may have come onto it. Then let him lie down on his right side…” [Saheeh al-Bukharee and Saheeh Muslim]

4. Reciting the Adhkaar (supplications) mentioned in the Sunnah before sleeping.

There are a number of Adhkaar prescribed in the Sunnah before going to bed, amongst them are reciting the last verses of Surah Al-Baqarah Verse 285 and Verse 286], reciting Surah Al-Falaq, Surah An-Nas and Surah Al-Ikhlas , blow in the palms and wipe as much of the body possible, starting from the head, face and then the front of the body doing it three times. [Saheeh al-Bukharee and Saheeh Muslim]

Also read Ayatul-Kurseey[Al-Baqarah 255].

Aslo concerning mightmares:

Jabir narrated that the messenger of Allah
saw23X22.gif
said, “When someone sees unpleasant dreams, he should spit to his left three times should seek refuge in Allah from the outcast Shaitan. Then he should turn to the other side of his sleep”.
(Reported by Muslim,Abu Dawood,Nasaee and Ibn Majah).

Insha'Allah this helps.

wasalaam.

Nur Sarah

I know a supplication before going to sleep sis.

"Allah humma bismika ammotu aheyah" (I know this one by heart,I have not got the translation with me at the moment,but inshallah I will try and get it tommorow)

P.S If this is wrongly written please someone correct me,I have written it the way I read..:blackhijab:

Allah(Swt) knows best

:wasalam:

:bismillah: :salam2: thank you very much sister. i will learn it. it would be helpful to know the meaning. Leaving you in the hands and guidence of Allah (Swt)

:wasalam: :blackhijab:

Nur Sarah

Here's some advice regarding sleeping:

1. Sleep in a state of taharah (purity).

Ibn Abbas reported that Allaah's Messenger said: “Purify these bodies and Allaah will purify you, for there is no slave who goes to sleep in a state of purity but an Angel spends the night with him, and every time he turns over, [the Angel] says, 'O Allah! Forgive Your slave, for he went to bed in a state of purity.'” [Reported by at-Tabaranee. See Saheeh al-Jamee (3831)]

2. Sleep early.

Sleeping early is a healthy habit and it was the practice of Allaah's Messenger to sleep directly after performing the Isha prayer. Abu Barzah al-Aslami said that the Prophet used to prefer to delay Isha, and he did not like to sleep before it or talk after it.” [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

3. Clean the bed and lie on the right side.

Abu Hurayrah reported: The Prophet said: “When any one of you goes to bed, let him clear his bed by hitting it with his garment, for he does not know what may have come onto it. Then let him lie down on his right side…” [Saheeh al-Bukharee and Saheeh Muslim]

4. Reciting the Adhkaar (supplications) mentioned in the Sunnah before sleeping.

There are a number of Adhkaar prescribed in the Sunnah before going to bed, amongst them are reciting the last verses of Surah Al-Baqarah Verse 285 and Verse 286], reciting Surah Al-Falaq, Surah An-Nas and Surah Al-Ikhlas , blow in the palms and wipe as much of the body possible, starting from the head, face and then the front of the body doing it three times. [Saheeh al-Bukharee and Saheeh Muslim]

Also read Ayatul-Kurseey[Al-Baqarah 255].

Aslo concerning mightmares:

Jabir narrated that the messenger of Allah
saw23X22.gif
said, “When someone sees unpleasant dreams, he should spit to his left three times should seek refuge in Allah from the outcast Shaitan. Then he should turn to the other side of his sleep”.
(Reported by Muslim,Abu Dawood,Nasaee and Ibn Majah).

Insha'Allah this helps.

wasalaam.

:bismillah: :salam2: This is very interesting and helpful. i thank you for your time to answer my question. :wasalam: :blackhijab: Nur SArah

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member

You're welcome sister.

To attain Allah's (swt) pleasure only insha'Allah.

wasalaam.

Sulikha

Tawakal-Allal-Allah

Allhamdulillah everything is said, I could only add ishaAllah that bad dreams are from shaydaan, they are nothing much except that shaydaan wants to worry you for the rest of the day, InshaAllah read the du'a and the Qur'an that is mentioned the bro. and sisters. And don't talk about the bad dreams.

For good dreams they are from Allah.

May Allah guides us all:tti_sister:

Daud McGuire

Say he is one
salam

Just remember the more your imam grows shaytan will try to stop it. Keep persisting in being a good person and have good dean and surely shaytan will become shakled

NaXuS

Salaam

I always say the following Dua after a nightmare.

"God i ask u,r refuge from the harm of this dream"

I dont remember its exact source but i read it some where n it was hard for me to recall it in Arabic.So i just say it in my mother tongue.It always help.

proud2bemuslim

ALLAH HU AKBAR

the bad dreams are from shaytan. just say auzobillahhiminashaytanirajeem (I seek refuge with Allah from Shatan) and say Lahowla wala Quwwata Illah Billah (There is no might, nor power, except with Allah), and Insha'Allah (Allah Willing) nothing will happen to you.

Also never mention anything about your bad dreams to anyone.

feeni

ONLY ALLAH
dont worry sis

salam
i used to have horrifying dreams and then i started reading aytul-kursi every night before i went 2 sleep. and believe me you it is a very strong dua. insh try it and u will be a okay!:SMILY288:

hambaAllah

refer to Bro Islamicfajr post

:bismillah:
:salam2: sis Nur Sarah

pls read this very interesting n helpful too :inshallah:
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6493&highlight=praying

:wasalam: :hijabi:

umm hussain

asalam alaikum

you can also recite subhanallah(33times), alhamdulillah (33times), allahu akbar (34times)

and just to add on to the benefit of reciting Ayatul Kursi before going to bed:

Whoever reads this when he lies down to sleep will have a guardian from Allah remain with him and Satan will not be able to come near him until he rises in the morning Al Bukhari

There is also a lovely hadith I heard when I was listening to a lecture about reciting Ayatul Kursi, I am typing it off my head as best as I can remember if I make a mistake I would love to be corrected and if someone knows the hadith to post it if possible.

It is reported that a man came to one of the Sahabas at night and I think he was trying to steal something but was intercepted and the Sahaba was going to take him to the Prophet of Allah(S.A.W) but this man begged him not to and the Sahaba feeling sorry for him decided not to take him. the same thing happened on the 2nd night and the Sahaba again let him go after feeling sorry for him. On the 3rd night the man begged the Sahaba again not take him to the Prophet but the Sahaba was adamant that he is going to take him because it had happened 3 times in a row but on the way there the man said if I tell you something that would guarantee the Shaytan not coming near him at night would you let me go and the Sahaba agreed, and he was told to recite Ayatul Kursi.

The next morning the Sahaba was asked by the Prophet of Allah(S.A.W) if a man came to him and he narrated the whole story and the Prophet said that the man was the Shaytan and even though the Shaytan is a liar, he told the truth in this occasion.

And the Sheik was saying who would know better what will keep the Shaytan away from the servant of Allah for the whole night except the shaytan himself.

Nur Sarah

Allhamdulillah everything is said, I could only add ishaAllah that bad dreams are from shaydaan, they are nothing much except that shaydaan wants to worry you for the rest of the day, InshaAllah read the du'a and the Qur'an that is mentioned the bro. and sisters. And don't talk about the bad dreams.

For good dreams they are from Allah.

May Allah guides us all:tti_sister:

:bismillah: :salam2: thank you sister. i thought that would be the reason. now i will try harder to perfect my prayers and imam. :wasalam: :blackhijab: Nur Sarah

Nur Sarah

the bad dreams are from shaytan. just say auzobillahhiminashaytanirajeem (I seek refuge with Allah from Shatan) and say Lahowla wala Quwwata Illah Billah (There is no might, nor power, except with Allah), and Insha'Allah (Allah Willing) nothing will happen to you.

Also never mention anything about your bad dreams to anyone.

:bismillah::salam2: i have always shared my dreams. if they were good or bad. So it would be wrong for me to continue it. thank you for your information.:blackhijab: :wasalam: Nur SArah

Nur Sarah

you can also recite subhanallah(33times), alhamdulillah (33times), allahu akbar (34times)

and just to add on to the benefit of reciting Ayatul Kursi before going to bed:

Whoever reads this when he lies down to sleep will have a guardian from Allah remain with him and Satan will not be able to come near him until he rises in the morning Al Bukhari

There is also a lovely hadith I heard when I was listening to a lecture about reciting Ayatul Kursi, I am typing it off my head as best as I can remember if I make a mistake I would love to be corrected and if someone knows the hadith to post it if possible.

It is reported that a man came to one of the Sahabas at night and I think he was trying to steal something but was intercepted and the Sahaba was going to take him to the Prophet of Allah(S.A.W) but this man begged him not to and the Sahaba feeling sorry for him decided not to take him. the same thing happened on the 2nd night and the Sahaba again let him go after feeling sorry for him. On the 3rd night the man begged the Sahaba again not take him to the Prophet but the Sahaba was adamant that he is going to take him because it had happened 3 times in a row but on the way there the man said if I tell you something that would guarantee the Shaytan not coming near him at night would you let me go and the Sahaba agreed, and he was told to recite Ayatul Kursi.

The next morning the Sahaba was asked by the Prophet of Allah(S.A.W) if a man came to him and he narrated the whole story and the Prophet said that the man was the Shaytan and even though the Shaytan is a liar, he told the truth in this occasion.

And the Sheik was saying who would know better what will keep the Shaytan away from the servant of Allah for the whole night except the shaytan himself.
:bismillah: :salam2: Sister this is a very interesting story. and i have heard of the prayer Ayatul Kursi. thank you for sharing and your time...:SMILY259: :wasalam:

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
:bismillah: :salam2: Sister this is a very interesting story. and i have heard of the prayer Ayatul Kursi. thank you for sharing and your time...:SMILY259: :wasalam:
HaHa! I heard that story from a book called "Stories for Children" and I think the Sahabi was Abu Huryra :)astag: I've never heard much of him) or Abu Bakr.

Sulikha

Tawakal-Allal-Allah

As I said bad dreams are from shaydaan. and good dreams are form Allah and there is some dreams that have not much meaning to it, like you dream what you did the day or a film that you watched or what you eat or who you talked.

For the good dreams, some of them are warning from Allah, like this stroy:

A nightmare that promted the repentance of a great sage:
Malik ibn Dinar [rc] was asked about the reason behind his repentance. He said: I used to a policeman and an alcoholic. I then acquired a maid who was very good to me. She bore a daughter of ours to whom I become very attached. I became even more fond of her when she started to crawl. Whenever I usedd to serve myself wine, she would come and drag my tumbler away from me and spill everything over my clothes. Our daughter died when she turned two and I was devastated.

The 15th of Sha'ban came along that year on a friday. I went to sleep drunk and without offering my prayers. I saw a dream that the Day of Judgment had come about; the Trumpet was blown; graves were resurrected and people were being gathered and I was among them. I heard a hissing noise behind. I turned around and saw that I was being approached by a huge black snake. I started to run away as fast I could trembling with fear.

I then encountred an old man who was well dressed and wore good perfume. I greeted him and asked him to help me. The old man cried and said that he was very weak and the snake was much stronger than he. However, he did tell me to keep on running in the hope that I would find something that would save me from the snake.

I continued to run and climbed on top of an elevated area. I found myself on top of a valley of fire. The horror of the fire alone made me almost fall into it. Then, I heard someone shouting: Get away from there. You don't belong there. I found security in that shout and ran further with the snake still at my heels. I found the old man again and pleaded with him to help. again he started to cry and say that he was very weak and that the snake was far stronger than he. Then, the old man directed me towards a hill where he said I might find a deposit of mine that could help me.

I looked at the hill which was circular and made of silver. In the hill were pierced windows and hanging curtains. Every window had two golden panels and each panel was adored with silk curtains. I quickly ran towards the hill. An angel then cried; Raise the curtains. Open the panels and look. Perhaps this afflicted person has some sort of deposit here that can help him. I then saw faces of small children who were like small moons peeping out from the windows. Then one of them shouted: What's wrong with you all. Come quickly. His enemy has almost upon him.

So they came and looked from their windows-hundreds of them. Then, I saw the face of my daughter who had died. When she saw me, she cried and said: "By Allah! That is my father." She then shot out of the window like an arrow from a bow and jumped in front of me and extended one of her hand in front of the snake and drove it away. She then made me sit down and sat herself in my lap, stroked her right hand through my beard and said: " O father: 'Is it not time for believers to subject their hearts to the remembrance of Allah.' "

I started to cry and asked how she knew the Quran. She said they {the children] knew more than they [in the world] did. I then asked her about the snake that ran afer me. She explained that it represented my bad deeds which would drive me into hell. I then enquired about the old man. She said he was my good deeds which had become so weak that they were unable to defend me against my bad deeds. I then asked what they were doing inside this hill. She informed me that they were te deceased children of Muslims waiting for their parants fo join them. They would intercede for thier parants on the Day of Judgement.

Malik said; 'I woke up in fright. I smashed all my wine containers and repented. THis was how I repented.

Allah guides whom he wills. May Allah guide us all.:tti_sister: