No Janaza for Boston Bomber!!!

Precious Star

CAIRO – The funeral of one of the Boston attackers is posing a new challenge for the Muslim community as several mosques are shying away from conducting the service.
"I would not be willing to do a funeral for him," Imam Talal Eid of the Islamic Institute of Boston, told Huffington Post.
"This is a person who deliberately killed people."
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, died Friday in a shootout with police over his alleged involvement in a twin bombing in Boston that killed three people and injured scores.
But several mosques have reportedly refused to conduct the funeral service for the dead attacker.
Eid, whose group arranges funeral prayers and burials in Boston, believes that the attacker Tamerlan Tsarnaev is no longer a Muslim after carrying out his attack.
"There is no room for him as a Muslim. He already left the fold of Islam by doing that," he said.
"In the Qur'an it says those who will kill innocent people, they will dwell in the hellfire."
Suhaib Webb, the imam of the Islamic Society of Boston Culture Center, also feels unease at conducting the funeral service for the attacker.
"I don't think I could ethically lead a prayer for him," he said.
"But I would not stop people from praying upon him."
Several mosque leaders said they would first discuss the issue of holding the funeral service for the Boston bomber if contacted.
"We have not discussed it," said a representative from Al-Marhama, an organization that shares space with the Boston Culture Center.
A similar position is taken by Masjid Al-Hoda in Kingston.
"Nobody has asked me, nobody has called me," said a man who answered the phone at the mosque.
Abdula Hameed, the imam of Masjid Al-Kareem in Providence, has the same view on the funeral.
"I'd have to talk to our board members," he said.
Islam calls for respecting human beings whether alive or dead.
A Muslim’s dead body should be immediately taken to a mortuary for washing and preparation.
Two or three adult Muslims should wash the body and then put on the shroud (kafan). Before the burial, the funeral prayer should be done.
The burial should be done as soon as possible. It is makruh (reprehensible) to delay the burial of the dead.
Restrictions
But some mosque officials opine the bomber should get the funeral service regardless of his action.
"We have to confirm if (Tamerlan) was a Muslim," Imam Ikram ul Haq, of Masjid Al-Islam North Smithfield, told Huffington Post.
"If that was confirmed through reliable sources, that he lived a Muslim and died as one, then we (would be allowed) to do a funeral for that person."
Imam Webb agrees.
"He should be buried according to the religious tradition he adheres to," he said.
"His case is with God. We can judge him as best we can according to the savage and insane actions he has done, but in the end, his soul is going to be brought before God."
But the prominent imam believes that Islamic teachings still place restrictions on the funeral service for the attacker.
"In fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence), for somebody who has committed a major atrocity, it is recommended that the imam does not pray over him, but that someone else does," he said.
"It's meant to somehow symbolize that there is some grieving with the victims of the person's actions.
"In Islam, if someone is alive and has committed a crime, their opportunity to repent is open until they die," Webb said, referring to the bomber's brother, who is being treated at a Boston hospital after being injured in a shootout with the police.
"We hope this man would be guided first of all to help the investigation and seek the forgiveness of family members and all people he has harmed."

(Huffington Post)

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
In sha Allah, hope they manage to pray the Janazah soon! inna lillaahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon.

Cariad

This is sad. He did a bad thing but he is still a person, someone's loved son and he deserves a respectful funeral as is the right of every person in death. It is only for God to judge his deeds.

Precious Star

This is sad. He did a bad thing but he is still a person, someone's loved son and he deserves a respectful funeral as is the right of every person in death. It is only for God to judge his deeds.

Why can't his family and friends have a janaza for him? If we don't believe he lived his life as a Muslim, then why should we be forced to offer janaza?

Sometimes, it is for us to judge. If a person commits adultery, we can certainly judge them. If they are unkind to their parents, we can certainly judge them. Isn't there a Hadith that says if someone does not read salat, he is not a Muslim?

An 8 year old boy was killed. His mother lost both of her legs. There remain 50 people in the hospital. Tamerlan has created difficulties for the Muslim ummah living in the west and has given Islam a bad name. There is nothing about his conduct that befits a Muslim.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

Murder is a major sin, but it does not make a person non-Muslim. What happened was awful, but I am afraid your opinions are based on emotions and we should be careful of accusing another Muslim of not being Muslim due to a sin he or she may have committed. - May I also remind you that he is still a "suspect", the case on going, and been found guilty by the media. Nevertheless, people who commit murder have always had a funeral and are buried accordingly. If Tamerlan did commit murder, then he is the same as the others who do this crime.

wasalamu alaykum

Cariad

Why can't his family and friends have a janaza for him? If we don't believe he lived his life as a Muslim, then why should we be forced to offer janaza?

Sometimes, it is for us to judge. If a person commits adultery, we can certainly judge them. If they are unkind to their parents, we can certainly judge them. Isn't there a Hadith that says if someone does not read salat, he is not a Muslim?

An 8 year old boy was killed. His mother lost both of her legs. There remain 50 people in the hospital. Tamerlan has created difficulties for the Muslim ummah living in the west and has given Islam a bad name. There is nothing about his conduct that befits a Muslim.

Maybe you should try not to be so judgemental. You do not know what was in his head, reasons for his actions are between himself and God. But I guess you as a muslim no better who qualifies for the title muslim. I would say there is nothing in his conduct that befits a human being, religion aside, however he is still a human being and so surely as God forgives our transgressions should we also not try to forgive the transgressions of our fellow man?

No one person on earth is immune from sin, instead of sitting in judgement about how the knock on effect of their sin effects us we should try and understand the motive and guide to the right path.

peace