NO MORE IGNORANCE: Revert Story

Mariya

Hi i have read some stories of the reverts on this site which all have been very touching.
I would like to share mine to this site, not a lot of people know about my decision.

I was bought up in a very strict family. My parents held firm traditions and were very religous. The religion was Hinduism, widely considered to be a polytheistic religion.
As a child i never thought anything much about religion, i did whatever my parents told me.
for secondary education i went to the church of england school and RE lessons were always taught with christianity and another religion. It was from this point that the questions began in my mind. In the old testament one of the ten commandments was to not worship idols, isnt that what i was doing? but because my family were religious i couldnt debate. However Islam never really came into mind and i had no interest to study it. Thanks to the media my parents always thought the Islam was a religion that was the cause of many of the world's problems.People are always inclined to judge a religion by the action of its ppl but not by its texts. So i was told to stay away from Islam.
However when i attended university things changed. I did have muslim friends previously but i never discussed islam with them. At uni i met a muslim friend that i got very close to that told me a few things about islam. I was so intrigued because there was an answer for everything. I had no idea that such a text, the Quran exsisted that hadnt been altered for 1400 years! and it was even more amazing to find out how the Quran was written in a series of revelations to the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and hence was the Word of Allah. I really began to question what my views were on religion. I was confused, and astonished that i had been living in ignorance, not even knowing what Islam was! I began to learn mre and more. The first book i read was The book of Monotheism (kitab-At-Tauhid), and after reading a few lines of it i knew that i could no longer go back to being what i had been 19 years of my life. There was an islamic bookshop that had opened recently where i lived, but i never had the strength to go in incase any1 saw me walking in there that i knew. I used to phone the shop sumtimes and used to hang up, cos i was scared on what to say, then finally one day i spoke to the owner. I told him that i was a non-muslim, that i knew what the truth was and wanted to learn more. He told me to come to the bookshop and i told him that i couldnt just incase if sum1 saw me (the area where i lived had many of my relatives), so he told me to pray sincerly from my heart and that Allah will guide me. So finally i did manage to come to the bookshop. They answered all my questions, and were so helpful. The owner and his wife would sumtimes open the shop early just so that i could talk to them and read some books i couldnt read at home. During this time I had a few books at home that i used to hide. My mum noticed that lately how distant i was and how i avoided praying in our prayer area at home.Later on my sister found a book that i was reading on Islam and evantually my parents found out. Home life became very difficult for me, my parents had lost a lot of trust in me because i was seen as a traitor. They knew that i had a close muslim friend and that i was reading books on Islam. I couldnt risk being caught going to the bookshop but i still did, i was determined to follow my heart. During this particular time there was a nine day festival at the temple. My dad was one of the main members at the temple, and that meant that if we didnt attend the festival as a family then ppl would notice that i was missing. I knew that i didnt want to go to the temple anymore. I spoke to the bookshop owner for advice and he asked a scholar for his advice on my behalf. The advice was to follow what the prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) did. Ibrahim's (peace be upon him) father was a idol maker and if a festival was to happen then Ibrahim (pbuh) would pretend he was sick. Pretending to be sick for 9 nights in a row was hard. The best solution to tell them was that i wanted to become a muslim.I was prepared to do it one night but that night my dad fell asleep early so i had to wait. the next day i was told to get ready to go to the temple but i refused. The shouting began. I was asked that where did my loyalties lie? I said to what i believe in. I couldnt say that i was muslim because i only wanted to take my shahdah knowing that i wouldnt have to pretend to pray to statues anymore or attend festivals.I tried talking to my dad about why i believed certain things. He thought that i had gone mental, was brainwashed and needed help. I made a decision, i moved out of home. I didnt belong at home if i was a Muslim. A month later after finding out more i took my shahadah.
I took my shahadah on Friday 20th October 2006, just before Eid. I thank Allah for having mercy on me, giving me the guidance and strength to come to Islam. I continue to pray that my family come to Islam.

Umm3mar

Masha'Allah!

Allah SWT truly blessed you with bravery. Not many would be able to go against their family. Masha'allah, masha'allah!! Welcome to Islam, sister!

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum Mariya, Welcome :) You are our sister in Islam and your story was beautiful and touching, I ask Allah to bless you and give you jannatul firdaus.

You were indeed very brave and it such a great gift from Allah that you were guided to Islam. May Allah make things easy for you.

I used to know of a brother who was Hindu and he became Muslim as well. He was from a Bramin Hindu Family. His mother later became Muslim too after she had a dream in which she was told that Islam was the truth.

May Allah help you and your family.

Indeed, Allah says in the Quran:

"And I (Allah) created not the jinns and men except they should worship Me (Alone)." (V.51:56)

"And verily, We have sent among every Ummah (community, nation) a Messenger (proclaiming): Worship Allah (Alone), and avoid (or keep away from) Tāghūt (all false deities etc. i.e. do not worship Tāghūts besides Allah).".. (V.16:36)

"And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him..." (V.17:23)

"... So worship Allah (Alone) by doing religious deeds sincerely for Allah's sake only, and not to show off, and not to set up rivals with Him in worship. Surely, the religion (i.e. the worship and the obedience) is for Allah only..." (V.39:2,3)

"So, call you (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم and the believers) upon (or invoke) Allah making (your) worship pure for Him (Alone) (by worshipping none but Him and by doing religious deeds sincerely for Allah's sake only and not to show off and not to set up rivals with Him in worship). However much the disbelievers (in the Oneness of Allah) may hate (it)." (V.40:14).

"And the mosques are for Allah (Alone), so invoke not anyone along with Allah." (V.72:18).

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Waslam
[/FONT]

acedoc

BE STRONG Sister...Allah is with you

Asalamu Alaikum w arahmatullah wa barakatuh

Mash'a Allah one of teh most moving stories I have ever heard.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct sister, "I thank Allah for having mercy on me, giving me the guidance and strength to come to Islam. I continue to pray that my family come to Islam."

May Allah increase your faith and knowledge each day....and soften your parents hearts twoards Islam and you. Ameen. Indeed Allah is competet over ALL things.

Do NOT follow any ethnic, cultural baises among muslims..ONLY follow Allah's word and His prophet (sws) Sunnah through authentic Hadith.

WELCOME to the universal brotehrhood (and siterhood) of Islam

PLEASE remember us in your paryers too

your brother in Islam

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
:salam2:

Alhamdulillah sister, you have searched for the truth and Allah (swt) has heard your dua, and opened your heart for Islam. That is the greatest gift you can get in this world.

May Allah guide you through life and reward you in the next life with Jannatul- Firdaws.

wassalaam.

Solemn_G

As-salaamu alaikum sister,

Alhamdulillah that you were strong enough to find Allah'(SWT)s path. Truly you are one of those with sense. Though you found hardship with your family, you performed well in what you did following in the footsteps of Prophet Ibrahim(pbuh) the upright. He faced difficulties very similar to the ones that you faced but the fact that you were able to realize that your love for your Creator was higher than your love for all else is something truly to be admired. Surely your rewards will be IMMENSE.

May Allah(SWT) shower with his blessing and help you to find peace with your parents someday.

These are the words of Hadrat Ibrahim(pbuh) from the Holy Qur'an:

"O my father! Verily! There has come to me of knowledge that which came not unto you. So follow me. I will guide you to a Straight Path. O my father! Worship not Satan. Verily! Satan has been a rebel against the Most Beneficent (Allah). O my father! Verily! I fear lest a torment from the Most Beneficent (Allah) overtake you as that you become a companion of Satan (in the Hellfire)."

He (the father) said: "Do you reject my gods, O Ibrahim? If you stop not this, I will indeed stone you. So get away from me safely before I punish you." Ibrahim said: "Peace be on you! I will ask Forgiveness of my Lord for you. Verily! He is unto me, Ever Most Gracious. And I shall turn away from you and from those whom you invoke besides Allah." (19:43-48)

Salaam

br_rizwan

Slave of Almighty

WELCOME TO family of this planet..

your story is really heart touching i can understand how difficult sitution you gone through.. but allah is most merciful by the grace of ALLAH you got admonition..insha allah i will pray for your family as well get the same truth as u got..

:muslim_child:

Bluegazer

Peace be upon you sister Mariya,

Congratulations on your reversion to Islam. Your story is truly inspirational to us all.

God Almighty said:

"Say, [O Muhammad], "If your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your wives, your relatives, wealth which you have obtained, commerce wherein you fear decline, and dwellings with which you are pleased are more beloved to you than Allāh and His Messenger and jihād [i.e., striving] in His cause, then wait until Allāh executes His command. And Allāh does not guide the defiantly disobedient people."

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 9:24]

By accepting Islam in spite of your family, you have placed the love of Allah and His Messenger and striving in His cause above all else. This is indeed the best decision of your life.

Continue to seek knowledge about Islam from reading books of scholars known for their firm grasp of the knowledge [about Islam] and their piety. And to follow the Qur'an and the authenticated sayings of the Prophet [peace be upon him] as they were understood by the Prophet's [peace be upon him] Companions. By acquiring more knowledge, you'll feel more confident when you face certain accusations which are leveled at Islam.

I ask Allah the Merciful to strengthen your faith and to guide your family to Islam. Remember to always ask God Almighty to strengthen and increase your faith.

Please read the story of Aminah Assilmi by clicking on the following link:

http://thetruereligion.org/modules/xfsection/article.php?articleid=195

Regards,

Bluegazer

umm hussain

alhamdulillah

Mashallah that is a really beautiful story and inshallah I will share my story on how I came to Islam one of these days baby still up doesnt look like she is going to sleep anytime soon

majed

your story touched my heart becuase I believe everyone can choose his/her way . Yes .. not our parents or society.

we can do it.

thank you Mariya for telling your story.

maisha_d

:ma: :ma: :ma: :ma: :ma: :ma: :ma: :ma: :ma: :ma: :ma: :ma: :ma: :ma:

May Allah Azza Wa Jal grant hidayat to your family especially...i always find that when a hindu accepts islam he/she faces more hardship than other reverts due to their family background...
i guess its hard for hindu parents to watch their child deny 300 gods...lol..

:wasalam:

Tahar

What a beautiful story! This truly confirms that Allah guides whom he chooses. When the almighty decides to open your heart to the truth, lift that dark screen off your eyes, nothing and nobody can stop it from happening. You are truly blessed. Hold on to your faith for you are a winner in the hereafter inshaa-allah (God willing).

Thank you for sharing.

ripefig

:salam2: ,

What a beautiful story, I also like the comparison of Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) and the temple. Whom Allah guides, non can misguide, and whom he leaves to go astray non can guide them. Alhamdulillah you took the path despite the hardships. There are some who are born in a Muslim home and they would not follow the path of truth. May Allah guide us All, AMEEN :wasalam:

stranger786

Dream of His Slavery
:ma:

Respected sister in islam..Its a really tochy story.
:mashallah: :mashallah: :mashallah: :mashallah: :mashallah: :mashallah: :mashallah: :muslim_child: :muslim_child: :muslim_child: :muslim_child: :muslim_child:
May Allah give u lot of happiness and protect u from every thing which is bad for u and bless u every thing which is best of u...

I hope that urs family have understand urs descision? masAllah to urs Emaan and courage....You will get reward for it insALLAH.. my honorable sister in islam.

urs bro in islam
javed
:salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah:

duran

salaam

WOOOOW...your story is amazing...Masha Allah...Its the MERCY of Allah that Guided u...

May Allah have mercy upon us..ameen...

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
ALLAHU AKBAR ALLAHU AKBAR...WALLAHI a very touching story..A lot of braveness put into effort.Masha Allah sister...As salam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wabrakatuhu
welcome to Islam...I was very touched by your story.

IF ANYBODY CAN HELP ME A BIT --------------
I have some non muslim friends in india.Last time when I went there I tried to give them knowledge about Islam.How do I start telling them that Islam is the true path? I do have the information but I dont know how to put it or frame it in a correct way.I have even talked with them about life,death and hereafter and found out their flaws caused by their polytheistic system.
There are some hindu brahmins as well.I hope brothers and sisters can help me in giving them information in the right way so that they embrace Islam Insha Allah Taala.
They try to agree with me on some matters but as soon as I bring that Islam says like this , Islam says like that they do feel amazed at times.
I hope I can be a good orator too like (late) Sheikh Ahmed Deedat and Zakir Naik.
May Allah bless the Ummah and guide us all.
walaikum as salam wa rahmatullahi wabrakatuhu
brother sarfaraz

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Allahu akbar
Allahu akbar
Allahu akbar
It has always been the characteristic of the momen ( believer in allah) that she/he never fears the worldy matters anymore and finds amazing strength and ultimate freedom once they cling to the truth.
When a person finds the beauty of Islam, all they want to do is to embrace it.

Allah can see every struggle you are making in his way and in his love. Every day that passes and every night that prevails is a witness to what you have done. They are witnesses of a story of love, but this love is above all other loves. It is the love of The One who deserves all praises and who is very kind.

You are indeed fortunate to have fallen for this love and more importantly, your quest of achieving the truth has been fruitfull. I am sure you can sense its fruit in your heart, which is in the shape of peace and satisfaction...

Now you know why you are here and how important your life is. Now you know you are not just a number, but someone who is expected to achieve something great in this life and present the report of her/his performance on the day of judgement.

Indeed, Allah must be mentioning this to his angels with pride ((" Alam aqul lakum....Did I not tell you that I know the secrets of heaven and earth, and I know what ye reveal and what ye conceal?" , Albaqara, verse 33)) and be proud of creating humans, such as those who can feel the existence of Allah and love him without seeing him.

To see one individual, defying all the family and their strict family traditions, to se her/him turn their back on all the untrue gods and returning to the one and only god (Allah), is a heart throbbing event.

I will not call it a story but a great event because it has not ended in the past, but insha allah, its fruit will be seen in the future.

Thank you sister for sharing the experience of your journey to the truth, with us all and jazakallah khair

Wssalam

maryama

manshallah sister

:hijabi:
manshallah sister, Allah subhana wataallah has given you one of the greates things in life which is Al-islam. thank Allah allways and don't stop telling your parents about islam. call them to the truth path (as siratul mustaqiim). And ask questions about things you don't understand. we will answer them with the knowlege of islam. may Allah guide us all to the straight path.

wasalamu aleykom warahmatullah.:salah: