not sure what to do

booya

Assalamualaikum

I've been reading some of the posts here concerning new muslims and their hardships with family, but I guess everyone has different situations so let me tell you my story.

So around a year ago I broke the news to my mother that I am interested in Islam. Later my sisters found out, but not my dad..since we thought that he would be really mad if he knew this. They were shocked and panicked, and arranged me to meet with some Christian priests/experts to discuss religious matters. I've met with several people, but I wasnt that interested at all because I think Islam is just the right one. Since I'm studying in the US and my family's at my home country, I am still a bit free in terms of learning.

Then last January I came back home, we didnt talk much about religion with my family, and during my visit I continued to learn Islam, meeting with muslims, getting books, etc. I was at the point that I was learning how to do my prayers, and I tried to make them at the proper times.

A few months later my family came with me to the US, and in one occasion, my mom was looking for something in my drawer and he found my Islamic books. She was very upset because she thought I have stopped learning Islam. Then she told my dad who was also very upset, saying that a muslim in the family would be a disgrace to the family and asked me to stop no matter what. After all this me and my sisters talked, and the bottom line is my parents would never accept if I convert (I havent told them I converted). They asked me to stop contacting muslims and stop learning abt this. My parents also took away my Qur'an and islamic books. They even threaten to stop my education in the US and go home if I dont comply.

As for my situation, I havent declared officially on my Islam, but in my heart I believe what muslims believe, and I guess I have recited the shahada in my heart. After this incident I have stopped praying because I dont know what I should do.

My father is a very busy person and he is in the middle of a tension in his business, and my mom warned me not to bring up matters that might stress him even more. Last month unexpectedly he got a heart attack. His situation has been better now, and my mother says "There...you see he has a condition now, dont do anything that might stress him out. He is sick."
And furthermore "You see, Jesus has saved him from his disease, even him recovering is a miracle, you must believe, He has been so good to us, dont stray." My mom is pretty active in church and she and her friends have all prayed for my father's recovery.

So right now I dont know what to do. In my heart I still believe that God is One, no matter how I think about it, it is the easiest thing to accept in my heart. Lately I've been trying to continue doing my prayers, but being in a non muslim environment (friends), I still had to hide things. There is an empty basement in school that acts as a prayer area but I am still shy if some people or muslims find me there and then ppl then know about my Islam and tell it to everybody.

My parents have asked their friends here to keep in contact with me, to see how I am doing etc, with the main goal to bring me back to christianity. Also my father is still recovering, so I dont know what I should do. Making many contacts with muslims would not be good I guess, so I might just post my problems here.

Thank you for reading..

Asalaamalikum,

First off, welcome to the forum. Inshallah (God willing) you will find this community very friendly and knowledgeable.

May Allah swt make things easy for you. Sorry to here about your dad, make dua for him and inshallah (God willing) he will recover. Do not be afraid to pray in front of other Muslims or non-Muslims. I don't care what they think, you are not pleasing them, you are pleasing the Creator. It is actually better to pray with other Muslims in congregation, because there is more rewards to it.

You should be respectful to your parents but if they do not believe in the Creator (Allah) then Islamically you can divert away from them. Only Allah knows whats in your heart and your situation. If Allah gave you the truth and you rejected the truth then you would become a kuffar (disbeliever). Allah could of easily replaced you and I with someone else.

My best advice is to continue to pray and seek Allah in guidance and help. Watch the movie The Message. You can even type it on the search here and see how some of the people at that time disbelieved the truth and the trials and tribulations Allah put them through. You should talk to your parents and ask them why they feel threatened about Islam. Try to clear their biases and misunderstandings. And if you need any help don't hesistate to ask the brothers and sisters here :)

O ye who believe! seek help with patient perseverance and prayer: for Allah is with those who patiently persevere. And say not of those who are slain in the way of Allah: "They are dead." Nay they are living though ye perceive (it) not. Be sure We shall test you with something of fear and hunger some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil) but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere. Who say when afflicted with calamity: "To Allah we belong and to Him is our return." They are those on whom (descend) blessings from Allah and Mercy and they are the ones that receive guidance (Qur'an 2:153-157 Surah Al-Baqarah)

umm hussain

Walaikum salam warahmatullah

I suggest you persevere, it has happened to a lot of reverts including me. My mum said she wanted nothing to do with me and a whole lot of other things. They also like to make us feel guilty. One thing is for sure your dads heart attack had nothing to do with you being Muslim or finding out about it. Even if he had not found out if it was written for him it would happen anyway.

I suggest you also say shahada in front of 2 witnesses at least, anyway that's what I heard not sure of authenticity. After shahada the next thing is salah and it is an obligation which shouldn't be compromised on. Accepting Islam comes with some 'difficulties' to really determine where we stand. Shahada is tesification with the tongue and implementation with the limbs. Do we really believe in Allah and the last day? We should expect these things although it is really difficult when it is happening In some cases you will find that they will not even carry out the threats, e.g stop paying your fees, and Allah knows best. These trials can either make us or break us but hopefully as imaan starts to build up these trials are supposed to make us firmer in our belief.

7 Conditions Of shahada

1. Knowledge (Al-ilm): of its meaning, what it negates and affirms. If a person says it without knowing its meaning, or what its requirements are, then he will not benefit by it, because he has not believed in what it requires. Rather, he is like someone who speaks a language he does not understand.
2. Certainty (Al-Yaqeen): that is to have complete surety of it and which it leads to repelling any doubt or suspicions about it.
3. Exclusively worshipping Allah (Al-ikhlaas): This is contrary to shirk (blasphemy). It’s what ‘Laa ilaaha ilallah’ points towards.
4. Truthfulness (As-Sidq): This prevents hypocrisy (nifaaq). The hypocrites utter it with their tongues, but do not inwardly believe in what it signified.
5. Love (Al-Mahabbah): Having Love and loyalty to Allah and His Messenger, seeking refuge to Allah from Allah, and seeking the pleasures of Allah.
6. Submissive compliance (Al-Inqiyaad): by fulfilling its rights – which are the obligatory actions – with sincerity to Allah and seeking His good pleasures.
7. Acceptance (Al-Qabool): This prevents rejection. This is achieved by acting upon what Allah has commanded and abandoning whatever He has prohibited.

These conditions have been deduced from the Quran and Sunnah, and which explains its rights and restrictions that it is not merely a word that a person utters.

You should just tell your parents in the nicest way possible that this is what you have chosen and are not going to go back on it and eventually inshallah they will understand, easier said than done though. Just because they say dont hang around with muslims doesnt mean you shouldnt. Find as many muslims as possible with good character to hang around with and find your local mosque, speak to an Imaam or some other brothers there.

Since you are a brother there isnt much outward appearances that you will have to do, i.e wearing a hijab which will be like letting your whole family know when you are not ready for them to know so I think it is a lot easier for you to hide it from your family at the moment, until maybe you start letting the beard grow.

Find out if there is a prayer room at your college/uni and make use of it. If you let the other muslims know you might find some in similar situation or at least very supportive and will help you out Inshallah.

We also have to understand from our parents point of view. They have no idea what their children are getting themselves in too and might be genuinely worried and want the best for us and we should try to make them understand where we are coming from and where we are heading. Although I must admit sometimes they may overreact, i mean I did a lot of really sinful things in Jahiliyah but I dont even remember her disowning me but rather wanting to advise me in a proper way but for some reason when a person reverts to Islam 'all hell breaks loose. It must be the work of the shaytaan, speaking on their behalf' because sometimes really hurtful words can be uttered by the people who are supposed to love us unconditionally.

I hope this helps

Make dua to Allah to make things easy for you.

booya

Thank you for the quick reply bothers and sisters,

I actually have gotten in touch with the imam at a local Islamic Center. I've known him for quite some time, and for the last few days I have tried to come join the jamaah salat when I have the time. He says that even if I'm not ready to declare, if I believe in my heart, then I'm a Muslim. He also tells me to be patient and pray, and slowly things will get better. The mosque itself is a small one and its mostly empty, except in Friday.

I've told you that there's a quiet basement that is setup as the prayer area. It's also very quiet and I rarely see people go there to pray although there are tons of international students in my campus. I'll try to make use of it. But I'm still not comfortable with hanging out with muslims in public, especially in school. However in September Insha Allah I'll be moving to a bigger campus which I believe has more muslims.

Even though I still try to maintain good relations, I still feel something is not right. I feel I'm treated unfairly, for I have never gotten in trouble or made my family upset. And I dont think they want to hear a word about Islam anymore. My sisters havent had much to say about this. They dont like it, but they know that they can't force anything.

As for eating, I try my best to avoid pork, but on occasions when I eat with my family I have eaten it at times just so that they don't know. I know it's wrong but seems like I dont have a choice.

booya

OK I'll try replying again, my lengthy post didnt get thru :(

Thank you brothers and sisters for the replies..

I did get in touch with an Imam at a nearby Islamic center. I've known him for a while. Recently I have also tried to attend the jamaah prayer when I have the time. The masjid itself is very quiet, except in Fridays. The imam says that even if I dont declare in public, if I believe in my heart then I'm a muslim. He told me to be patient and pray, and slowly things will get better.

At school we have a rarely used basement that is being setup for prayer area. I rarely see people go there although there are plenty of international students in my school. I'm still not comfortable on hanging out with muslims in public, especially in school. But I'll try to make use of the prayer area. Also in the next few months Insha Allah I'll be moving to a bigger campus. They must have more muslims there.

I still try to maintain nice relations to my family, especially my dad since he is sick, but I still feel somethings bugging me. I feel that I'm not treated fairly, since I have always been good, stayed out of trouble, get good grades, etc. And I dont think my parents want to hear even a word about Islam anymore.

jcbc

Salaam

My wife is a convert too, it took her a while to persuade her parents to respect
and accept her as a Muslim. Stick to your guns, and let them know that you are a Muslim. They will stop talking to you for a while. Keep sending them cards during holidays and expect no response. Keep praying and InshaAllah, they will start contacting with you again. It is a long and hard process and make sure you have a job to back you up. This seemed like worked with everyone I know, but since I don't know your parents I cannot say if it is definitely work with your
parents.
I will pray for you.

booya

My mother is protestant, my father follows some kind of buddhism. But the kids in my family are all raised in christian schools.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Welcome to the family. Everyone here is concerned for you. We take your issues seriously.
Your mother is caught in the middle. She is the caretaker for a sick husband. She is stressed to the max. She does not have the emotional ability to deal with the seriousness of your personal decisions. Understand that she is doing what she knows best. That is all she knows.
The decision for you to formally accept Islam is yours and yours alone. Faith is much more personal than anything else in life. It is the rock we hold on to.
Follow your heart. Accept Islam totally. They will keep on cooking pork. They will flavor the veggies with bacon drippings. You can tell them how bad pork is, given the stress/illness of your father and you change the dietary habits of the family. Eat chicken and fish and have a veggie night.
Don't worry about hanging out with Muslims. As you become more comfortable with your faith it will all work out. (We are not so bad, we even know how to have fun).
This site is filled with Muslims from all walks of life..each one will help you and make dua for you. And please respect your mother at all times. Be the gentle man she raised to be the strong man who will help her during storms. InshaAllah you will one day be able to her you got your strength from Allah.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Brother you should do your Salat (prayers) in secret areas. Like in a library, at the basement at school and stuff, and Inshallah one day you will be able to practice Islam freely.

Inshallah I'll make dua for you.

Wa Salam.

savas sen

THE WAY OF ALLAH IS REAL WAY MY FRIEND.ALLAH REALLY KNOWS THE THINGS IN YOUR HEART.BUT WE NEVER HAVE TO FORGET THAT THE LIFE IS AN EXAM FOR US.AND AN EXAM IS A CHOISE TOO.PLEASE DONT WORY AND TRUST TO ALLAH AND ALWAYS READ QURAN.IF ALLAH DIDNT LIKE YOU I COULD NOT READ YOUR MESSAGE AND YOU COULD NOT MEET ISLAM.PLEASE WRITE ME.. ESSELAMUNALYKUM!! (capodance@*********)

ShyHijabi

Salaam brother Booya,

If you cannot pray your salat due to trying to maintain peace in the family...remember you can do salat with your eyes. So instead of doing full rakat and sujood you can lower your eyes halfway for rakat and completely for sujood. That was you can still pray five times a day without causing your father and mother pain.

I find it somewhat humorous that some of the folks here tell you to just "tell your family" or to basically force your decisions on them. You can worship in secret....as the first converts were allowed to do when in situations such as yours. This is a religion of ease. Inshallah you will receive great rewards for your kindness towards your parents and youre preserverance toward journeying to Islam.

I too am a convert and ws completely disowned by my family. However I was in a bit more a stable place financially and Alhumdulillah did not have to walk on eggshells. I understand you are in a very difficult place, Inshallah Allah will make you way easy. Wasalaam.

~Sarah

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
assalamu aleikum brother ,I'm a convert too like most of us here.
Just always remember -prayer and patience...all u need
Don't argue with your parents ,with the time they will see by their eyes inshaallah.My parents always were thinking i will give up,its been two years hamdulillah and they see that nothing can change my faith,no matter what all the world is telling me,now they simply accept,for me its a miracle....By the way Its not my country also and I found Islam here,alhamdulillah...
wa salam

booya

Assalamualaikum,
Thanks again for the replies.

mirajmom,
I fully understand the situation. On top of this matter there are actually more internal problems in the family. I always pray for both of them and my family.

brother Abdul Hasib,
yes I come from an Asian country.

sister Sarah,
Yes indeed, some of the muslim contacts I talked to just told me to tell the family and worry about everything later. But we all know that it's not as easy as it seems.

sister aisha1114,
by "here" do you mean the US? do you come from an asian country?

somewhatinspired

i know how you feel

i go to jummah, and i see all the brothers my age who know each other laughing, hanging out, and its intimidating, because i wanna hang out. but i don't know what they will think so i just walk on.

Bluegazer

Hello booya,

You replied to my question a s follows:

My mother is protestant, my father follows some kind of buddhism. But the kids in my family are all raised in christian schools.

I recently posted some official statements of the Roman Catholic Church that might greatly decrease any animosity Roman Catholics have towards Islam. I realise that it might not be as effective on Protestants, but I still feel that it will -God willing- have a positive effect on your mother and your family.

Check out my post by clicking on the following link:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=78905&postcount=12

Best regards,

Bluegazer

wannabe_muttaqi

A MUSLIM BROTHER
INSHALLAH everything will be allright

Assalamu Alaikum Br.Booya,
Welcome to TTI. Brother reading the earlier posts i feel you are kinda stressed out in this issue. don't get overburdened with anything. go step by step.

First of all patience is the key. Once Jibreel AS (Angel Gabriel) told to prophet Mohammed(PBUH) that reward for all the good deeds can be measured but the reward for patience cannot be measured. so ALLAH SWT will not burden anyone more than what he can bear. INSHALLAH everything will be allright.

ALLAH SWT says in chapter 94 verse 5 and 6

so Verily,with the hardship there is relief,

Verily, with the hardship there is relief.

so pray for ALLAH SWT and be firm in your faith INSHALLAH everything will be allright.

As for as your family is concerned i think you should let your actions speak. Be a good Muslim.....your family will see the positive change in you and they will definitely appreciate it. Don't keep on arguing with your parents that will worsen the situation. instead give them reasons one after other not all of a sudden. Talk to them calmly and in composed manner. do this intermittently and in such a fashion that they should know that your opinion is not due to rush of blood but due to rational thinking.

Brother i'm ALHAMDULILLAH, a born muslim i did not face this situation but i'll let you know the secret i deal with my parents if at all there is any difference of opinion among us. whatever my parents say i just say yes for the first time i.e. when they start the topic coz the situation will get worsen if i start arguing and then say after a day or two when everything has calmed down......while we talk casually i give my reasons very politely so that they listen to it and contemplate on it. and believe me brother it worked almost everytime i've tried. so now i'm in a situation where my parents will say yes to whatever i say even before i complete my sentence, they say do whatever you like we are with you.

with all these the most important is be strong and firm in your faith.

JAK

justmuslim1986

To booya

Peace be unto you, brother!

I was grieved to hear about your problems with your family and I pray that Allah All-Mighty gives you relief of it. I would really like to reiterate my fellow muslim brothers and sisters advice of patience and prayer to help you.

Also, I would like to ask you who do fear the most? your parents or The Lord of The Heavens and the Earth? if you fear Allah then know that this is a test for you just like the tribulations that many other muslims around the world face.
Most importantly ,brother, you are not alone so if you fear being ostracised by your family then know that you have countless brothers and sisters in Islam all united under the Mercy of God.

I pray that you will embrace Islam and that your family accepts your personal beliefs.

Peace be unto you.

Your Sister :ma: