Hadith 'O' son of Adam, I was hungry and you did not feed me

Mohammad Rafoqie

sntoWXp8VkiryZYLsTblbcfkim55YLm-gqmdubUai9-sZaeqOiaVJx-22XMbP8oSI6uk=w300

'O' son of Adam, I was hungry and you did not feed me

Mohammad Rafique Etesame

The Prophet (Blessings and Peace be Upon him) is reported to have said:

"Verily, Allah will say to his slave when He will be taking account of him on the Day of Judgement, 'O' son of Adam, I was hungry and you did not feed me.' He will answer: 'How could I feed you? You are the Lord of the worlds!' He will say: 'Did you not know that my slave so and so who is the son of so and so felt hunger, and you'did not feed him. Alas, had you fed him you would have found that (i.e. reward) with Me.' 'O' son of Adam, I was thirsty and you gave Me nothing to drink.' He will reply: 'How could I give You drink? You are the Lord of the worlds!' He will say: 'Did you not know that my slave so and so, the son of so and so felt thirsty and you did not give him drink. Alas, if you had given him, you would have found that (i.e. reward) with me.' 'O' son of Adam, I became sick and you did not visit Me.' He will answer: 'How can I visit You? You are the Lord of the worlds!' He will say: 'Did you not know that my slave so and so, the son of so and so became sick and you did not visit him. Alas, had you visited him, you would have found Me with him." (Sahih Muslim)

This hadith urges on to feed the hungry, giving the drink to the thirsty and to visit the sick; and also reveals the great reward for these good deeds. May All-Mighty give us power to do so.

Cariad

Yeshua said similar words.. How is this found in the hadith? Although you take different meaning from a similar parable. You think it is about feeding the hungry or caring for those in need so you hope for some reward in the Paradise. For Christians the same words spoken by Yeshua hold a deeper meaning regarding the time Yeshua will return to gather His flock to him. I'm thinking you may be with the goats ;) not sheep., :)

When I read Quran I find similar things that are in the Bible and some also that is from the Gnostics and some from the minds of man. I have not read much on hadith so now I see there are also similarities. :)
Matthew 25:31-46New International Version (NIV)

The Sheep and the Goats
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fireprepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

a_stranger

Dear sister : it is one message from one God to many prophets through centuries :

(163) 163 - We have sent thee inspiration, as we sent it to Noah and the messengers after him: we sent inspiration to Abraham, Ismail, Isaac, Jacob and the tribes, to Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, and Solomon, and to David we gave the psalms.

(164) 164 - Of some apostles we have already told thee the story; of others we have not; and to Moses God spoke direct;

(165) 165 - Apostles who gave good news as well as warning, that mankind, after (the coming) of the apostles, should have no plea against God: for God is exalted in power, wise.

Surat Al Nissaa

Cariad

But Yeshua was referring to Himself.. As the Son of Man.. As the Bible prophets looked forward with their revelations to the coming of Yeshua. prophet of Islam did not, he taught a different Yeshua to all the Bible prophets. Apostles are not same as prophets in Bible, the Apostles were commissioned by Yeshua, the prophets were chosen by God, messengers are Angels. Maybe it is language thing, but when I read the Quran it's like these titles can be used to mean one and the same thing.

How did deliberations of men come to be in Quran? Or the Gnostic accounts? These are things which for me cause big questions and doubts.

Arfatzafar

sntoWXp8VkiryZYLsTblbcfkim55YLm-gqmdubUai9-sZaeqOiaVJx-22XMbP8oSI6uk=w300

'O' son of Adam, I was hungry and you did not feed me

Mohammad Rafique Etesame

The Prophet (Blessings and Peace be Upon him) is reported to have said:

"Verily, Allah will say to his slave when He will be taking account of him on the Day of Judgement, 'O' son of Adam, I was hungry and you did not feed me.' He will answer: 'How could I feed you? You are the Lord of the worlds!' He will say: 'Did you not know that my slave so and so who is the son of so and so felt hunger, and you'did not feed him. Alas, had you fed him you would have found that (i.e. reward) with Me.' 'O' son of Adam, I was thirsty and you gave Me nothing to drink.' He will reply: 'How could I give You drink? You are the Lord of the worlds!' He will say: 'Did you not know that my slave so and so, the son of so and so felt thirsty and you did not give him drink. Alas, if you had given him, you would have found that (i.e. reward) with me.' 'O' son of Adam, I became sick and you did not visit Me.' He will answer: 'How can I visit You? You are the Lord of the worlds!' He will say: 'Did you not know that my slave so and so, the son of so and so became sick and you did not visit him. Alas, had you visited him, you would have found Me with him." (Sahih Muslim)

This hadith urges on to feed the hungry, giving the drink to the thirsty and to visit the sick; and also reveals the great reward for these good deeds. May All-Mighty give us power to do so.

this hadith injuncts us to fulfil our duties and responsibilities in our social life. Moreover, this hadith manifests that the content is to be understood metaphorically, not literally as Allah swt is free from thirst or hunger or sickness.

Allahu a'alam

Cariad

this hadith injuncts us to fulfil our duties and responsibilities in our social life. Moreover, this hadith manifests that the content is to be understood metaphorically, not literally as Allah swt is free from thirst or hunger or sickness.

Allahu a'alam
Yes.. Of course I see the hadith is to be taken metaphorically as obviously God does not thirst or hunger or suffer sickness. My point is why is Allah speaking thus in the Quran when Yeshua spoke of Himself .. As Son of Man.. And in His humanity did thirst, and hunger? Using very similar phraseology in the Bible.

a_stranger

Dear Cariad , I shall tell my thoughts concerning this Hadith.
I believe that Allah (God, our creator) created this life with all it's aspects for a purpose: a test for us. Allah created the rich and poor, the healthy and the sick, strong and weak..................etc. all that as a test.
The own who created and owns wealth, strength , health .........food, drinks is our creator not people but Allah ...........:God most glorified put his bounties in our hands his to see what we do. Allah is closer to the poor, sick , weak , hungry, thirsty( since when people are in need they become softer , more humble, more transparent ) .........Allah wants us to be on their side : to give them , feed them .............then he will reward us in plenty ..........that is why the hadith is stated in that way : to encourage people help the needy ......this is our way to Paradies :Janna as Quran clarify:

((6. A spring wherefrom the slaves of Allah will drink, causing it to gush forth abundantly.

7. They (are those who) fulfill (their) vows, and they fear a Day whose evil will be wide-spreading.

8. And they give food, inspite of their love for it (or for the love of Him), to Miskin (poor), the orphan, and the captive,

9. (Saying): "We feed you seeking Allah's Countenance only. We wish for no reward, nor thanks from you.))

Translation of the meanings of Quran surah 76