Our collective Failing of our Youth!

Are you happy with the way our Mosques/Communities are run?

• I am a Muslim man & I am happy with the way our Mosques/communities are run.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I am a Muslim woman & I am happy with the way our Mosques/communities are run.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I am a Muslim man & I am not happy with the way our Mosques/communities are run.

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • I am a Muslim woman & I am not happy with the way our Mosques/communities are run.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I am a Muslim man & I am disgusted and angry with the way our Mosques/communities are run.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I am a Muslim woman & I am disgusted and angry with the way our Mosques/communities are run.

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Situation for the Youth in both US & UK is not best either!

Our Mosques by following culture instead of Islam (i.e. talks in Urdu, preference of Asian culture, exclusion of women etc.) are putting our Muslim Youth at risk!

Muslims 'turning to drugs' to cope with ostracism
By Richard Kerbaj

February 27, 2007 02:00am

AUSTRALIA'S disadvantaged young Muslims are so directionless and fearful of being excluded by the broader community many are turning to drugs and contemplating suicide.

Ninety-eight per cent of 150 Sydney-based young Muslims surveyed had considered suicide as a "way out" of the conflicts in their life as a Muslim in a non-Muslim society.

The All Eyes On Youth study found eight out of 10 young Muslims aged between 12 and 25 considered the education system of no assistance "in making lifetime choices", and 94 per cent lacked a clear goal in life.

The findings emerged from a conference for young Muslims organised by the Independent Centre for Research Australia in Sydney last November. ICRA president Fadi Rahman told The Australian yesterday he was alarmed that almost all the 75 males involved in the survey had experimented with drugs such as cannabis, ecstasy and cocaine.

"We're talking about cocaine, and some of them have even got to a point wherethey've tried heroin," said the Muslim community leader from Auburn, in Sydney's southwest.

"If we're raising a generation where such a high percentage are contemplating suicide and such a high percentage of drug use exists, I think we're heading for a disaster as a nation. Because what this is doing is tearing the very fabric of our society." Mr Rahman said many young Muslims felt alienated by the wider community, especially since the September 11 attacks on the US, which had placed Islam under the microscope.

Young disadvantaged Muslims were worse off than other young people with problems because they lacked aspirations and possessed no vision of hope.

"Most disadvantaged teenagers would at least tell you what they would like to be," Mr Rahman said.

"Our kids did not have goals at all - nothing. As far as they were concerned, it was a dead end and that's that." University student Amna Elghoul - who was part of the survey, which will be officially launched next month - said she had never turned to drugs or contemplated suicide to deal with the "stares and insults" she continually received for wearing an Islamic headdress.

But the 22-year-old said she knew of many young Muslims who resorted to drug use "to stop them basically thinking of what's happening around them".

Ms Elghoul said she was angry about being treated as an outsider by the mainstream community when in fact she was Australian born and bred.

"I've always got it at the back of my mind that someone is going to say something to me today because of what's happening in our current global issues," the student said.

Another young Muslim who contributed to the survey, Abdel Rehmon, said yesterday he had contemplated suicide and turned to drugs and alcohol to block out thepressures he felt from being a Muslim.

"I feel like I'm being kicked out of my own country that I'm born and raised in," said the 17-year-old. "And I've thought about it (suicide) a couple of times - you feel
that way." Mr Rahman attacked Australia's Islamic leaders for putting their internal political problems ahead of the younger generation's difficulties.

"If we don't come together and do something for these youngsters, they will have no hope in putting their lives back on track," he said.

shaz_1999

Personaly I am not dat happy wid da way dat out Masjid is run but within our own community we have an Academy which us women use loads for many things.

Also we do have 2understand dat yes we can sit here and complain but have any of us ever brough it up with da people who run da Masjid have we ever done anything about it????????????

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
:salam2:

I used to pray in a big mosque somewhere in Hounslow and to be frank, some of the things which went on inside were just disgraceful. Groups of grown men interrupting the Friday sermon, shouting and insulting each other because of some election for the masjid commitee. It was just unbelievable. This reminded me of a hadith.

Timirdi recounts this Hadith from Ali ibn Abi Talib: "The Prophet said: 'If my Ummah bears fifteen traits, tribulation will befall it.' Someone asked, 'What are they, O Messenger of Allah?' He said, 'When any gain is shared out only among the rich, with no benefit to the poor; when a trust becomes a means of making a profit; when paying Zakat becomes a burden; when a man obeys his wife and disobeys his mother; and treats his friend kindly whilst shunning his father; when voices are raised in the mosques; when the leader of a people is the worst of them; when people treat a man with respect because they fear some evil he may do; when much wine is drunk; when men wear silk; when female singers and musical instruments become popular

It just goes to show the times we live in. Thankfully, I've moved to another area and the mosque is quite small but really lovely :mashallah:

wasalam

saqlawi

Muslim Student
Ours is a moderately small community, but my father is the Imam :D.

It goes quite nicely, and the khutba is always really good and useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.