People of the Book and other non muslims

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum,

I think there's a point that needs some clarification. I should have done this before. I apologize.

In the English translation of the religious opinion [fatwa] of Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid, the following was written. Please note the phrase I underlined:

for this is the hadeeth of al-Aswad ibn Saree’, who reported that the Prophet of Allaah SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are four (who will protest) to Allaah on the Day of Resurrection: the deaf man who never heard anything, the insane man, the very old man, and the man who died during the fatrah (the interval between the time of ‘Eesaa (Jesus, upon whom be peace) and the time of Muhammad SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)).

Source: http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=1244&ln=eng

In the original Arabic version of the fatwa, that underlined definition of "fatrah" is not found, The following is the complete text of the Arabic version:

مصير الكفّار الذين لم يبلغهم الإسلام

سؤال:
السؤال : ما هو مصير الكفار الذين لم يبلغهم الإسلام ؟ .

الجواب:
الجواب :
الحمد لله
من عدل الله عزّ وجلّ أنه لا يُعذّب قوما إلا بعد البلاغ وقيام الحجّة عليهم ولا يظلم ربّك أحدا ، قال الله عزّ وجلّ : ( وما كنّا معذّبين حتى نبعث رسولا ) ، قال ابن كثير رحمه الله في تفسير هذه الآية : قوله تعالى وما كنا معذبين حتى نبعث رسولا" إخبار عن عدله تعالى وأنه لا يعذب أحدا إلا بعد قيام الحجة عليه بإرسال الرسول إليه كقوله تعالى "كلما ألقي فيها فوج سألهم خزنتها ألم يأتكم نذير قالوا بلى قد جاءنا نذير فكذبنا وقلنا ما نزل الله من شيء إن أنتم إلا في ضلال كبير" وكذا قوله "وسيق الذين كفروا إلى جهنم زمرا حتى إذا جاءوها فتحت أبوابها وقال لهم خزنتها ألم يأتكم رسل منكم يتلون عليكم آيات ربكم وينذرونكم لقاء يومكم هذا قالوا بلى ولكن حقت كلمة العذاب على الكافرين" .. "

فالذي لم يسمع عن الإسلام ولا عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم ولم تبلغه الدّعوة بشكل صحيح فإنّ الله لا يعذّبه على موته على الكفر ، فإن قيل : فما مصيره فالجواب أنّ الله يمتحنه يوم القيامة فإن أطاع دخل الجنّة وإن عصى دخل النّار والدليل على ذلك حديث الْأَسْوَدِ بْنِ سَرِيعٍ أَنَّ نَبِيَّ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ أَرْبَعَةٌ [يحتجون] يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ رَجُلٌ أَصَمُّ لا يَسْمَعُ شَيْئًا وَرَجُلٌ أَحْمَقُ وَرَجُلٌ هَرَمٌ وَرَجُلٌ مَاتَ فِي فَتْرَةٍ فَأَمَّا الأَصَمُّ فَيَقُولُ رَبِّ لَقَدْ جَاءَ الإِسْلَامُ وَمَا أَسْمَعُ شَيْئًا وَأَمَّا الأَحْمَقُ فَيَقُولُ رَبِّ لَقَدْ جَاءَ الإِسْلَامُ وَالصِّبْيَانُ يَحْذِفُونِي بِالْبَعْرِ وَأَمَّا الْهَرَمُ فَيَقُولُ رَبِّي لَقَدْ جَاءَ الإِسْلامُ وَمَا أَعْقِلُ شَيْئًا وَأَمَّا الَّذِي مَاتَ فِي الْفَتْرَةِ فَيَقُولُ رَبِّ مَا أَتَانِي لَكَ رَسُولٌ فَيَأْخُذُ مَوَاثِيقَهُمْ لَيُطِيعُنَّهُ فَيُرْسِلُ إِلَيْهِمْ أَنْ ادْخُلُوا النَّارَ قَالَ فَوَالَّذِي نَفْسُ مُحَمَّدٍ بِيَدِهِ لَوْ دَخَلُوهَا لَكَانَتْ عَلَيْهِمْ بَرْدًا وَسَلامًا

وفي رواية : فَمَنْ دَخَلَهَا كَانَتْ عَلَيْهِ بَرْدًا وَسَلامًا وَمَنْ لَمْ يَدْخُلْهَا يُسْحَبُ إِلَيْهَا الحديث رواه الإمام أحمد وابن حبان وصححه الألباني : صحيح الجامع 881

فكلّ من وصلته دعوة الإسلام بطريقة سليمة فقد أُقيمت عليه الحجّة ومن مات ولم تصل إليه أو وصلته غير صحيحة فأمره إلى الله ، هو أعلم بخلقه ولا يظلم ربّك أحدا والله بصير بالعباد .

الإسلام سؤال وجواب
الشيخ محمد صالح المنجد

Source: http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=1244&ln=ara

The significance is that the definition of the "People of the Period" -as the People who lived in "the interval between the time of ‘Eesaa (Jesus, upon whom be peace) and the time of Muhammad SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)"- might not be Sheikh Muhammad Salih Al-Munajjid's opinion.

I know for a fact that another eminent scholar [Sheikh Muhammad Naasir ad-Deen Al-Albaani] said that the term "People of the Interval" applies to every person who has not received the message of Islam in a true and undistorted way, even if that person lived after the advent of the prophethood of Muhammad [peace be upon him].

Sheikh Muhammad Naasir ad-Deen Al-Albaani said that in a lecture. It was recorded and distributed as tape no. 363 and 364 of a series called سلسلة الهدى و النور [The Series of Guidance and Light].

Go to the following website, and download those two tapes by clicking the download button opposite "شريط رقم 363" and "شريط رقم 364" or right clicking the mouse and then choosing "save target as". In tape no. 363, the part about the "People of the Interval" starts at 30 minutes and 6 seconds into the tape, and then it continues into tape no. 364:

http://www.alalbany.net/albany_tapes_hoda_noor_02.php

The above audio recordings are in Arabic. Dr. Bilal Philips translated that lecture into English and posted it under the title "People of the Interval" in his website www.bilalphilips.com , but when his website was redesigned, the translation of that lecture was not posted again.

For any Arabic speakers reading this, I strongly urge you to listen to that lecture. For English speakers, I hope that Dr. Bilal Philips does post it again on his website, so check out his website from time to time.

Also, please check out the religious opinion [fatwa] I have posted on post #29 on this thread, by clicking on the following link:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60388&postcount=29

Again, I apologise for not noticing the difference between the original Arabic fatwa and the English translation. I ask for Allah's forgiveness.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalmu Alaikum

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum,

I tried to edit the following post:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30021&postcount=10

I wanted to mention what I've written on post #23 above [on this thread] or link to it so that a person who reads that post knows about the changes I mentioned.

The problem is that the thread which contains that post is closed.

I would be very grateful if a moderator would edit the post found in the above link, by inserting a link to post #23 on this thread.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

I know for a fact that another eminent scholar [Sheikh Muhammad Naasir ad-Deen Al-Albaani] said that the term "People of the Interval" applies to every person who has not received the message of Islam in a true and undistorted way, even if that person lived after the advent of the prophethood of Muhammad [peace be upon him].

:wasalam:

:ma: (but I`m a guy)

Jazak Allah alf khayr for the beauiful clarification Brother!!! May Allah reward you for your efforts.

samiha

---------
Staff member

I would be very grateful if a moderator would edit the post found in the above link, by inserting a link to post #23 on this thread.

Wa alaykum salam.

I added in the links over the part concerned (the bit in parenthesis) and also added it separatly on the bottom of that fatwa. I hope it is alright. :shymuslima1:

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum,

Thank you sister Samiha for adding the links in a clear way.

And thank you brother Happy 2BA Muslim for your kind words

Wassalamu Alaikum

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

i think it is a pretty easy to understand this ayat. for example, the torah was a great source of guidance for the people of that time. the injeel was a great source of guidance for the people of that time. the quran was a great source for the people at the time of it's revelation, but it continues to do so. the quran sepercedes the other texts. it is the final truth and the complete truth, therefore, all have access to this truth. so if the truth is made known to you, you become obligated to accept the truth or be accountable to Allah swt for not accepting it. the earlier christians and jews didn't have the quran and our beloved prophet muhammad saaws to guide them. so their belief is accepted. however, christians and jews do have access to the quran and sunnah, but if they reject it now, they shall be held accountable for their disbelief.

therefore, do not be embarrassed when people ask wheter or not people of uther faiths will go to heaven or not. just say no. most religions, especially christianity believes that only christians will enter heaven. they may be sincere but they are sincerely wrong. if everyone went to paradise no matter what their beliefs were, why should we do what we do? why perform salah,zakat,sawm,hajj, and shahadah if everyone is entering paradise? ah... but we as muslims know for a fact that hajj, salah, zakat, shahadah, and sawm are pleasing to Allah swt.

so, no people of other faith goes to heaven. that's why it is important to spread dawah, especially to all of our loved ones. may all of us continue to do what's right so that Allah swt has mercy on us and grants us permission to enter paradise.

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum,

I hope that all the readers will find the following religious opinion [fatwa] very informative and it's connected to the topic of this thread. It was issued by the Standing Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta' in Saudi Arabia. I will first post the fatwa in Arabic and then my translation of it into the English language:

من الفتوى رقم 6397

س : أسلمت حديثا إحدى الشابات البوذيات المثقفات بعد دراسة عميقة للإسلام استمرت سبع سنوات ، وهي الآن نشطة في الدعوة للإسلام ، ولقد أسلم على يديها بعض الأفراد من رجال ونساء ، وفي إحدى جولاتها مع بعض الذين اهتدوا للتعريف بالإسلام والدعوة إليه في إحدى المناطق النائية وجه إليها أحد البوذيين هذا السؤال : كيف تحكمون بدخول النار لغير المسلم بينما نحن في هذه المنطقة لم نسمع عن الإسلام إلا الآن ؟ فهل آباؤنا في النار ؟ وما ذنبهم طالما أنكم معشر المسلمين لم تبلغوا دين الحق إلينا ؟ ولقد اتصلت بنا هذه الأخت المهتدية وتريد منا جوابا شافيا على سؤال الرجل الذي دخل في الإسلام بعد هذا اللقاء .

الحمد لله وحده والصلاة والسلام على رسوله وآله وصحبه . . وبعد :

جـ : المسلمون لا يحكمون على غيرهم بأنهم في النار إلا بشرط وهو أن يكونوا قد بلغهم القرآن أو بيان معناه من دعاة الإسلام بلغة المدعوين لقول الله عز وجل : سورة الأنعام الآية 19وَأُوحِيَ إِلَيَّ هَذَا الْقُرْآنُ لِأُنْذِرَكُمْ بِهِ وَمَنْ بَلَغَ . وقوله سبحانه : سورة الإسراء الآية 15وَمَا كُنَّا مُعَذِّبِينَ حَتَّى نَبْعَثَ رَسُولًا فمن بلغتهم الدعوة الإسلامية من غير المسلمين وأصر على كفره فهو من أهل النار لما تقدم من الآيتين ، ولقول النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم : والذي نفسي بيده لا يسمع بي أحد من هذه الأمة يهودي ولا نصراني ثم يموت ولم يؤمن بالذي أرسلت به إلا كان من أهل النار . خرجه مسلم في صحيحه ، والأدلة في هذا المعنى من الآيات والأحاديث كثيرة ، أما الذين لم تبلغهم الدعوة على وجه تقوم به الحجة عليهم فأمرهم إلى الله عز وجل ، والأصح من أقوال أهل العلم في ذلك أنهم يمتحنون يوم القيامة فمن أطاع الأوامر دخل الجنة ومن عصى دخل النار ، وقد أوضح هذا المعنى الحافظ ابن كثير رحمه الله في تفسيره لقول الله عز وجل : سورة الإسراء الآية 15وَمَا كُنَّا مُعَذِّبِينَ حَتَّى نَبْعَثَ رَسُولًا والعلامة ابن القيم رحمه الله في كتابه " طريق الهجرتين " في آخره تحت عنوان " طبقات المكلفين " فنرى لك مراجعة الكتابين لمزيد الفائدة .

وبالله التوفيق ، وصلى الله على نبينا محمد وآله وصحبه وسلم .

اللجنة الدائمة للبحوث العلمية والإفتاء

الرئيس
عبد العزيز بن عبد الله بن باز

نائب رئيس اللجنة
عبد الرزاق عفيفي

عضو
عبد الله بن غديان

عضو
عبد الله بن حسن بن قعود

Source: Go to the following website:

http://www.alifta.net/Search/FatwaNumSrchDisplay.aspx

Then enter number "6397" and press Enter. A list of results will appear. You can click on the word "المزيد" in the third, fourth and the last [eighth] result. They are all the same fatwa, but were published in different books, and hence the three results. The fatwa I posted above was from the last [eighth] result.

The above fatwa is also found in the following book:

فتاوى اللجنة الدائمة للبحوث العلمية و الإفتاء

جمع و ترتيب
الشيخ أحمد بن عبدالرزاق الدويش

المجلد الثاني
العقيدة

هذا الكتاب من منشورات الرئاسة العامة لإدارات البحوث العلمية و الإفتاء و الدعوة و الإرشاد - الرياض - المملكة العربية السعودية و قد قام بطبعته هذه

مكتبة المعارف بالرياض
بإذن من الرئاسة برقم 13/11 و تاريخ 6/1/1412

Translation:

The Fataawas of the Standing Committee of Scholarly Research and Ifta'

Compiled and sorted by Sheikh Ahmad ibn Abdur-Razzaak ad-Duweesh

Volume Two: The Creed

This book is from the publications of the General Presidency of the Departments of Scholarly Research, Ifta', Propagation and Guidance - Riyadh - Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

And this has been published by Al-Ma'aarif Bookstore in Riyadh under the permission of the Presidency no. 13/11 and dated 6/1/1412 AH.​

........................................................................................................

My translation into English is as follows. I have added a few words between brackets [ ] for further clarification.

from fatwa no. 6397​

Q: Recently, a young educated Buddhist woman has become a Muslim after a deep study of Islam that lasted seven years. She is now active in propagating Islam and there some individuals from men and women who have entered Islam at her hands. In one of her tours with some of the reverts -to get people to know about Islam and calling to it- in one of the isolated areas one of the Buddhists asked her this question:

"How do you pronounce that a non Muslim will enter the Fire while we in this area have not heard about Islam until now. Are our fathers in the Fire? And what's their fault since you Muslims did not inform us of the religion of the truth?

And this revert sister has contacted us and wants a complete answer for the question of the man who entered Islam after this encounter.

We thank Allah alone and the peace and blessings of Allah are on His Messenger, his family and Companions, and so:

A: Muslims do not pronounce that others are in the Fire except with a condition which is that the Qur'an or the meanings of it from the propagators of [callers to] Islam has reached them in the language of the people who are called, since Allah the Exalted in Might has said, "And this Qur'an was revealed to me that I may warn you thereby and whomever it reaches." -Translation of the meaning of the Qur'an 6:19- and has said, "And never would We punish until We sent a messenger." -Translation of the meaning of the Qur'an 17:15-.

So the person from among the non Muslims who has received the Islamic call and insisted on his disbelief, then he is of the People of the Fire as shown by the two verses mentioned earlier and because the Prophet -peace be upon him- said, "By Him in Whose Hand is my soul, no one who hears of me from this nation; a Jew and a Christian, and then dies while not believing in that with which I was sent, then he shall be of the people of the Fire.". -Muslim has narrated it in his Sahih. There is a lot of evidence for this meaning in the [Qur'anic] verses and sayings [of the Prophet -peace be upon him-].

But those whom the Islamic call did not reach in a way that proof is established upon them, then their matter is up to Allah the Exalted. And the most correct [saying] from the sayings of the people of knowledge in this regard is that they will be tested on the Day of Resurrection. He who obeys the orders will enter Heaven and he who disobeys will enter the Fire. And this meaning has been explained by Al-Haafith Ibn Kathir in his explanation of Allah the Exalted's saying "And never would We punish until We sent a messenger" and the esteemed Ibn Al-Qayyim -may Allah have mercy on him- in his book Tariq al-Hijratayn [The Way of the Two Migrations] in its end under the heading Tabaqaat al-Mukallafeen [layers of those **I cannot translate the word المكلفين **]. We see that you should look into these two books for more benefit.

And with Allah is success, and Allah's peace and blessings are on our Prophet Muhammad and his family and Companions.

The Standing Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta'

President

Abdul-Aziz ibn Abd-Allah ibn Baaz

Vice-President of the Committee

Abdurrazaaq Afifi

Abd-Allah ibn Ghudayyaan

Abd-Allah ibn Hassan ibn Gu'ood

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum