Piano Lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karima

Asalamualikum,

I have some Muslim friends who took piano while growing up in the Middle East. If music is haram, why did they take piano?

Also, I have some Muslims friends who have asked that I teach their children how to play the piano.

What is going on, when 'music' is haram?

Sallam

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
salam alaykum

Dear sister,

As for the verdict regarding music I am not going to repost anything again after it has been discussed so many times and we have come to know the rule.
But I just want to remind us that what some "muslims" might do is not necessarily from or allowed in Islam at all, we know that alhamdulillaah. Just as if we saw some muslim drink alcohol does that mean that it is allowed for him? No!

Insha Allaah we must try to stick to what Allah and His Messenger, sallallahu aayhi wa sallam have taught us, leave what is prohibited to us and perform that which has been ordered to us in order to achieve the pleasure of Allaah subhanahu wa ta'alaa and His jannah.

salam alaykum.

Karima

Asalamualikum,

I did some searching and found this:

"The sincere Muslim who is following the Quran will not find in the Quran ANY PROHIBITION whatsoever OF MUSIC OR SINGING. God is very specific and His commands are very clear regarding any prohibition given in the Quran. God, the Most Merciful, NEVER prohibited music or singing in the Quran. Any prohibition of music or singing that is talked about among some Muslims has no basis in the Quran. These prohibitions are innovations made up by some of the scholars and their followers who do not shy from refusing to follow the clear commands in the Quran and instead follow man made laws and books of Hadith and Sunna. These books of Hadith and sunna were written over 200 years after the death of prophet Muhammad. The prophet Muhammad himself followed and preached ONLY the Quran."

Alhamdulillah for finally the answers to what I have pondered for several years, now.

Sallam

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
Asalamualikum,

"The sincere Muslim who is following the Quran will not find in the Quran ANY PROHIBITION whatsoever OF MUSIC OR SINGING. God is very specific and His commands are very clear regarding any prohibition given in the Quran. God, the Most Merciful, NEVER prohibited music or singing in the Quran. Any prohibition of music or singing that is talked about among some Muslims has no basis in the Quran. These prohibitions are innovations made up by some of the scholars and their followers who do not shy from refusing to follow the clear commands in the Quran and instead follow man made laws and books of Hadith and Sunna. These books of Hadith and sunna were written over 200 years after the death of prophet Muhammad. The prophet Muhammad himself followed and preached ONLY the Quran."

Alhamdulillah for finally the answers to what I have pondered for several years, now.

Sallam

assalamu aleikum
Can u pls spesify the sourse where did u take this quote from ,which u think is correct

These prohibitions are innovations made up by some of the scholars and their followers who do not shy from refusing to follow the clear commands in the Quran and instead follow man made laws and books of Hadith and Sunna.

Its stayted many time in the Quran that we have to follow the Sunna of The Prophet(PBUH).Will u not agree with that also...?And will give your own opinion on that too...

"And whatever the Messenger gives you, take it, and whatever he forbids you, leave it. And fear Allah: truly Allah is severe in punishment. " [Qur'an 59:7]

The subject of music been discussed many times on this site
U can look at these threads

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16193&highlight=music+islam

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15640&highlight=music+islam

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Asalamualikum,

Sallam

:salam2:

The information here is not 100% accurate. The hadiths were written by men of truth, by the companions and those truthful men after them. MOST of the hadiths were written by the companions and that was definately earlier than 200yrs after the death of the Prophet (PBUH). In the Prophet's last sermon he says "I leave behind me two things, the Qur'an and my example, the
Sunnah, and if you follow these you will never go astray." We should never deny the hadiths of our beloved Prophet (PBUH)

:wasalam:

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Also to Karima, in your profile it says you are Christian, did you get this information from a "Christian" website???

Imran_00

Descendent of Aadam

sister aisha1114

Jazzakallah khair that you have provided reference for hadith. it will be more beneficial if you post a thread with all the verses that points muslims to follow hadith. so whenever these issues raises than we can link the thread to the hadih thread.

Imran_00

Descendent of Aadam
Asalamualikum,

I have some Muslim friends who took piano while growing up in the Middle East. If music is haram, why did they take piano?

Also, I have some Muslims friends who have asked that I teach their children how to play the piano.

What is going on, when 'music' is haram?

Sallam

sister karima

Islam is not what people do. Islam is what people should do

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Asalamualikum,

Sallam
Assalamu alaykum

Dear Sister Karima,

Is it not only the Qur'an that makes up Islam.
I suggest you read this:

Following the Messenger of Allah is a Must
(The Sunnah and its Position in the Islamic Sharee`ah)

[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,helvetica,sans-serif] The Companions of the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) used to take the ruling on different matters in their lives from the Qur’aan, which they use to learn from Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam). In many instances, the aayaat (verses) of the Qur’aan treat a subject in a general manner without a specific condition. Sometimes the aayaat will come as an absolute ruling without any precondition or limitation required by time, place, etc. As an example of what came in a general way in the Qur’aan is the Salaat. The Qur’aan does not mention how many Rak`ahs (units of prayer) we should make, or how to physically move during prayer, or the time for prayer. Similarly, the Qur’aan does not mention the minimum amount of money to have before giving Zakaat (charity) or the conditions by which to pay it. Many of our `Ibaadaat cannot be performed without stopping at the explanations related to the regulations, pillars, and conditions of nullification. It is thus a must to return to Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) to know the rules in a comprehensive and clear manner.

Many times, the Companions faced incidents in which the Qur’aan which had no ruling, and there was a need to return to the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) to know the ruling of such matters. It was the Prophet who was ordered by Allah (subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa) teach humanity, and it is the Prophet who is the most knowledgeable of mankind about that which Allah subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa expects from us.

Allah (subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa) has told us about the duty of Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) with respect to the Qur’aan, where Allah (subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa) said:

"And We have sent down unto thee (also) the Message; that thou mayest explain clearly to men what is sent for them, and that they may give thought." [Qur’aan 16:44]
Allah also made it clear to us that the duty of Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) is to clarify the truth to people when there is a dispute:

"And We sent down the Book to thee for the express purpose, that thou shouldst make clear to them those things in which they differ, and that it should be a guide and a mercy to those who believe." [Qur’aan 16:64]

We are obligated to follow any ruling by Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) in any dispute:

"But no, by the Lord, they can have no (real) Faith, until they make thee judge in all disputes between them, and find in their souls no resistance against Thy decisions, but accept them with the fullest conviction." [Qur’aan 4:65]

Allah also mentioned that Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) was given the Qur’aan and Wisdom to teach people the regulations of their religion:

"Allah did confer a great favour on the believers when He sent among them an apostle from among themselves, rehearsing unto them the Signs of Allah, sanctifying them, and instructing them in Scripture and Wisdom, while, before that, they had been in manifest error." [Qur’aan 3:164]

Regarding the last aayah, most scholars and those of great knowledge said that the wisdom mentioned in the aayah means another thing besides the Qur’aan. It is what Allah subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa has given Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) from the knowledge of matters and regulations that the rest of humanity can not attain. Imaam Ash-Shaafi`ee rahimahullaahhas said that "Allah subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa has mentioned the scripture which is the Qur’aan, and he mentioned wisdom and I have learned from the people of knowledge that the wisdom here is the Sunnah of Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam). It is from the mercy of Allah (subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa) that He has sent to us a way to practice what is in the Qur’aan."

Allah (subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa) did not stop by saying scripture only, but the inclusion of the Sunnah with the Qur’aan is an indication of its important and the obligation on us to follow it as we have to follow the Qur’aan. Imaam Ash-Shaafi`ee goes on saying that the letter 'wa' ('and' between Scripture and Wisdom in the aayah) is a letter of conjunctions in Arabic which requires that the two parts it joins must be different otherwise the sentence will be redundant, and Allah (subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa) is far away from that; na`oodhu billaah. And so when Allah (subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa) said that he has conferred a great favor on the believers, He does not confer anything that is not correct and truthful. Therefore, this wisdom must be followed as the Qur’aan, and Allah (subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa) has never ordered us to follow anything but Him and His messenger (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam). Which must mean that this wisdom is what came from Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) in the form of rules and sayings regarding legislation.

To clarify the concept of Sunnah and our obligation to follow it, Allah (subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa) said:

"Those who follow the apostle, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures),- in the law and the Gospel;- for he commands them what is just and forbids them what is evil; he allows them as lawful what is good (and pure) and prohibits them from what is bad (and impure); He releases them from their heavy burdens and from the yokes that are upon them. So it is those who believe in him, honour him, help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him,- it is they who will prosper." [Qur’aan 7:157]

Because this teaching is mentioned in general in this aayah, then it must include the rules in the Qur’aan and Sunnah.

A very strong indicator of the obligation upon us to follow the Sunnah can be found in this aayah:

"...And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam)) gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it) , and fear Allah. Verily, Allah is severe in punishment." [Qur’aan 59:7] Allah has also made the obedience of Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) in conjunction with the obedience to Him:

"And obey Allah and the Messenger, that ye may obtain mercy." [Qur’aan 3:132]
We are asked by Allah (subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa) to answer any order by Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam):

"O ye who believe! give your response to Allah and His Messenger, when He calleth you to that which will give you life." [Qur’aan 8:24]

Allah made the obedience of Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) an obedience to Him, and following Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) an indication of the love of Allah subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa:

"He who obeys the Messenger, obeys Allah." [Qur’aan 4:80]

"Say: If ye do love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you sins." [Qur’aan 3:31]

And Allah subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa warrned us from not following the instructions of Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam):

"Then let those beware who withstand the Messenger’s order, lest some trial befall them, or a grievous penalty be inflicted on them." [Qur’aan 24:63]

Not only that, but Allah (subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa) told us that disobeying Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) is Kufr (disbelief):

"Say: Obey Allah and His Messenger.: But if they turn back, Allah loveth not those who reject Faith." [Qur’aan 3:32]

It was never allowed by Allah (subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa) that a believer disobey Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) order:

"It is not fitting for a Believer, man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger to have any option about their decision: if any one disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he is indeed on a clearly wrong Path." [Qur’aan 33:36]

To show that not following the ruling of Rasoolullaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) when a dispute occurs is a sign of hypocrisy, Allah (subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa) says:

"They say, We believe in Allah and in the apostle, and we obey; but even after that, some of them turn away; they are not (really) Believers. When they are summoned to Allah and His apostle, in order that He may judge between them, behold some of them decline (to come)....The answer of the Believers, when summoned to Allah and His Messenger, in order that He may judge between them, is no other than this: they say, "We hear and we obey"; it is such as these that will attain felicity." [Qur’aan 24:47-51]

[/FONT]

Karima

Asalamualikum, (May the Peace of God/Allah be upon you)

Islam is not what people do. Islam is what people should do

Islam is submission only to Allah...not to anything else.

Sallam..(Peace)

Imran_00

Descendent of Aadam

Sallam..(Peace)

yes, sister you are right. this is exactly what brothers and sisters here are saying.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
These are the 5 pillars of Islam
1) Faith or belief in the Oneness of God and the finality of the prophethood of Muhammad;
2) Establishment of the daily prayers;
3) Concern for and almsgiving to the needy;
4) Self-purification through fasting; and
5) The pilgrimage to Makkah for those who are able.

P.S Karima can you plz answer the question about where your post came from

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member

Sallam..(Peace)
assalamu alaykum,

Sister, these people who pretend to preach Islam in which they deny what the Messenger of Allah (through whom we got the Qur'an in the first place) has said/ordered/prohibited are not muslims - they are Kafiroon, according to the words of Allah in the Qur'an as I posted before.

Please distance yourself from submission.org that they may not lead you astray, these people are definitely not upon Islam.

You are new to Islam and you must understand that not everyone who pretends to be teaching Islam does so in reality. Astagfirullah.

salam alaykum.

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member

Subhanallaah these people are exactly those about the like the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu alayhi sallam has warned us 14 centuries ago:

035 : 4587 : Narrated By Al-Miqdam ibn Ma'dikarib
The Prophet (pbuh) said: Beware! I have been given the Qur'an and something like it, yet the time is coming when a man replete on his couch will say: Keep to the Qur'an; what you find in it to be permissible treat as permissible, and what you find in it to be prohibited treat as prohibited....
(Narrated Abu Dawood)

salam alaykum.

samiha

---------
Staff member

I've posted this before but I thought it'd be relavent. Rashad Khalifa founded a misguided sect called the Submitters and claimed devient beliefs which are considered to put a person out of Islam.

The International Community of Submitters

The Submitters are followers of the late Rashad Khalifa, a man who claimed to be a Messenger of Allah. This claim in itself is sufficient to remove the Submitters from Islam as the Qur'an states (translation):

"O people! Muhammad has no sons among ye men, but verily, he is the Messenger of Allah and the last in the line of Prophets. And Allah is aware of everything." (33:40)

The true Prophet of Islam, Muhammad :saw:, observed:

"The tribe of Israel was guided by prophets. When a prophet passed away, another succeeded him. But no prophet will come after me; only caliphs will succeed me." (Sahih Bukhari)

Much of Rashad Khalifa's misguidance can be traced to his obsession with numerology, an obsession which has misguided many different people throughout history. Khalifa alleged that the Qur'an contained a mathematical code which revolved around the number 19. He went to the extent of removing two verses from the Qur'an because according to him "the word `God' ... is not a multiple of 19, unless we remove [it]", and the "sum of all verse numbers where the word `God' occurs is ... 19x6217 ... If the false verse 9:129 is included, this phenomenon disappears." By rejecting a single verse of the Qur'an, the Submitters bring themselves under the judgement of another verse,

... Do you believe in part of the Book and disbelieve in another part? And what is the reward of those who do so save ignominy in the life of the world, and on the Day of Resurrection they will be consigned to the most grievous doom ... (2:85)

It is interesting to note that Khalifa was a numerologist who did his blighted profession justice: he predicted the end of the world. However, Allah says in the Qur'an

They ask you about the (last) hour, when will be its taking place? Say: The knowledge of it is only with my Lord; none but He shall manifest it at its time; it will be momentous in the heavens and the earth; it will not come on you but of a sudden. They ask you as if you were solicitous about it. Say: Its knowledge is only with Allah, but most people do not know. (7:187)

The Submitters also reject the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (saws)- not part of it, but the whole of it. For the Submitters, the Sunnah is not a source of Islam. The problems this presents are overwhelming, for by doing so the Submitters have effectively destroyed their ability to perform:

Salaat (obligatory prayers), the second pillar of Islam
Zakat (obligatory tax), the third pillar of Islam
Sawm (fasting), the fourth pillar of Islam
Hajj (pilgrimage), the fifth pillar of Islam

With four out of the five pillars of Islam removed, the Submitters have little to back their claim to being "Muslim". The true Messenger of Islam (saws) warned Muslims of falling into this trap,

Narrated AbuRafi':
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "Let me not find one of you reclining on his couch when he hears something regarding me which I have commanded or forbidden [i.e. from the Sunnah -ed.] and saying: 'We do not know. What we found in Allah's Book [i.e. the Qur'an] we have followed.'" Book 40, Number 4588 of Sunan Abu-Dawud

So therefore, in actuality to take anything these people say as evidence for an Islamic point is not correct. We have to be careful about who we take from and where their beliefs lie. If it is not in accordance to the true Islaam, then most definitely it must be rejected. We have to be careful... not to become people of desires. As you aptly said, Islaam is submission to Allah. And by this submission you submit to his laws, and his Messenger. For without an honest upright messenger, what validity of trust would the Message have? THis is evident for all those who care to understand the fact.

Please read: Following/Believing the Hadith

Singing & Music

Afterwards, if we read this... and still deny whatever seems apparant, then, it will undoubtedly be our own things which we have to be accountalbe in front of Allah (swt). So, you pick your own roads. But remember, that after Allah and His Messenger have decreed something, it's not for us to say whether we like it or not, but to obey. Truth and falsehood has been made apparant if we truly search with an open heart.

May Allah guide us All upon the truth and goodness, and keep us on His Straight Path. Ameen.

Please look at former threads, use the search function, and in order to avoid further debate and discussion on this worn out subject.

Thread Closed

wasalam

Status
Not open for further replies.