Playgroup in Mosque

saadbin

Assslamalikum Brother & Sister,

My wife wants to take my daughter to children's playgroup in the mosque.
They have children activities, Islamic education and might be general chat.
Playgroup time is 2-4pm, so not salah time.
My question is, Is it permissible to organize children playgroup with women gathering (worldly things) in mosque?
My concern started after reading this hadith-
Ibn Mas'ood narrated that the Prophet said: "When the Last Day is near, there would be people who would sit in the mosque in circles, and their main concern (or talk) would be the worldly life. Do not sit with them as Allaah does not care about them." [At-Tabaraani, and Al-Albaani classified it as authentic]

Amtullah

Servant of Allah
Wa'alaykum as-salaam.
You should really ask someone learned in regards to the hadith...it could be in reference to people who don't do ANYTHING except that. The Mosque (is)..well should be where the community can come together and do things (be it pray salaat or play a basketball game in the parking lot when it's not salaah time). Having women come together at the mosque, has so many benefits - they support each other, the children grow-up being part of the community, both mother and child are educating themselves in different ways.

...anyway, good question.. I don't know the answer, the above is just my opinion.

May Allah guide us to do what pleases Him. Ameen.

MeGladder

@saadbin

:salam2:

Didn't you just say that there will be Islamic Education? I mean it's looks like that the women are trying to help in teaching these children the Islamic values. Does not sound like 'worldly things' to me, based on your description. :-D

And here is a related fatwa:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

There is nothing wrong with your staying in one of the rooms attached to the mosque or with teaching the children and using the computer, projector, blackboard and other means that help in teaching.

There is also nothing wrong with offering biscuits and juice to the children in the mosque, so long as you teach them to avoid causing any nuisance and to be keen to keep it clean.

Source:
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/118843