PLEASE CALL OUR MASJID "MASJID"! Not "MOSQUE"!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffanah

speak good or silent
Dear sisters and brothers. I found this information in a website, hope this is beneficial for all of us.

Assalamu Alaikum,Very Valuable Information
Please read this and pass it on to any Muslims, as much as you can. It is a vital and important information. Muslims should now refrain from using the term "Mosque". I was flipping through this book the other day called "THE COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING ISLAM" and it is filled with fun facts. One of them concerns the term "Mosque." So many of us think that this is the English translation of Masjid. I'm sure none of us ever wondered how this term came into being when it really had little in common with how it sounded compared to 'Masjid'. (We were very young when we were taught this English word. Our mind then were not critical & analytical, so didn't dare to ask/challenge our teachers, right?).

Anyway this book pointed out that the term 'mosque' is derived from the Spanish word for "mosquito." It was termed as such because during the Crusades, King Ferdinand said they were going to go and swat the Muslims "like mosquitoes". (Where else can they find Muslims in large number to be swatted if not in a Masjid?). So, they cheekily termed "Masjid" as "Mosque". So dear Muslim brothers and sisters, refrain from using this term which is obviously a disgusting slap in the face to the Ummah. Educate our brothers and sisters to the history and etymology of this word. And let us replace it with the word which is MEANT to be used: Masjid! The Place of Prostration!! Not Mosque: the place to be swatted! If any of you have doubts about this, then please go look for the book and read it.

With Best Regards,

Haritha@}

Source: The Book of "THE COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING ISLAM"

alafil63

Assad the Quiet
here's in Italy also from muslims is usual to call "moschea" and no one feel bad about this.
E.g.:
stai andando alla moschea?= you're going to mosque?
ci vediamo alla moschea=we see at the mosque

as i said earlier, noone feel bad in this, and the word for all people mean=the place where Muslims pray. The word is in every dictionary, and i never has heard worries about this.

Maybe the original will come from Fernando and Isabella, but at this time the world is changed from Spanish conquerors and noone will be insulted to call the place of prayer "Moschea"

Of course one may also call the place Masjid, but i consider this uninfluential, is a choice. Personally i prefer repent of my sins reading my Qur'han and perform my salaat instead to discuss of "angel's gender" as these things.

Of course if some hadith say the contrary, i will adjust my say, conforming myself on the Sunnah but i never heard of any hadith sayg how call the place in wich i and my brothers and sisters pray.

Ah, some historical note: The Crusades started in 1099, and ended with the 9th Crusade of Louis IX of France about half 1200, while Fernando and Isabella reigned on XVI century, almost 250 years after the end of the last Crusade of the Franks, and for them the capture of Granada was the last war of the "Reconquista" started with Alfonso of Spain and the Cid Campeador about the XI century.

and for give an happy end, here's a nice sayng from the Walter Scott's book "Richard Lionhearted", in which Salah-ad-Din-el-Ayubi say:

'trust to a Frank, and you will trust to a fable' :D

(Franks aren't trustworthy)

cmelbouzaidi

Assalamu alaikom dear Sisters and Brothers.

Apparently the meaning of "mosque" has nothing to do with mosquito. However, I do prefer to say "masjid" as it is not cumbersome to do so.

I found an article with the very question posted from our friend in Asia which explains it below. Also, for the record (see Italian mentioned below), the word for mosquito in Italian is zanzara, which has nothing to do with mosque at all and the French derived the word from Italian:

Question: There is a book entitled The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Understanding Islam. It discusses within it many things, including the etymology of the word “mosque”. It says that this word is derived from the Spanish word for “mosquito”. It claims that the word was first used during the Christian invasion of Muslim Spain in the 15th century when the forces of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella boasted they would swat out Muslim prayer houses like so many mosquitoes. Is this true?

Answered by the Scientific Research Committee - IslamToday.net

This etymology is incorrect.

The Spanish word for "mosquito" is mosquito and literally means “little fly”. This is a case where the English language borrowed the word directly from the Spanish.

The word for “fly” in Spanish is mosca, which is derived from the Latin musca. The diminutive suffix “-ito” is attached to it to form the word mosquito or “little fly”.

The Spanish term for “mosque” is mezquita, derived from the old Spanish mesquita. This word was most certainly derived from the Arabic word masjid, which many Arabs then and now pronounce as masgid.

In Spain during the era of Muslim rule – and this was before the time of King Ferdinand – Spanish speakers were using the word mosquito for the insect and the word mesquita for the Muslim place of worship. The two words are not related to one another in any way.

The word “mosque” was introduced into the English language in the late 14th or early 15th century from the French. It comes from the French word mosquée from the old French word mousquaie. The French, in turn, derived the word from the Italian word moschea from moscheta. The Italians got it either directly from the Arabic word masjid or from the old Spanish mesquita.

References:

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition; © 2000 Houghton Mifflin Company.

Ibn_Syena

Peace...
Dear sisters and brothers. I found this information in a website, hope this is beneficial for all of us.

Assalamu Alaikum,Very Valuable Information
Please read this and pass it on to any Muslims, as much as you can. It is a vital and important information. Muslims should now refrain from using the term "Mosque". I was flipping through this book the other day called "THE COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING ISLAM" and it is filled with fun facts. One of them concerns the term "Mosque." So many of us think that this is the English translation of Masjid. I'm sure none of us ever wondered how this term came into being when it really had little in common with how it sounded compared to 'Masjid'. (We were very young when we were taught this English word. Our mind then were not critical & analytical, so didn't dare to ask/challenge our teachers, right?).

Anyway this book pointed out that the term 'mosque' is derived from the Spanish word for "mosquito." It was termed as such because during the Crusades, King Ferdinand said they were going to go and swat the Muslims "like mosquitoes". (Where else can they find Muslims in large number to be swatted if not in a Masjid?). So, they cheekily termed "Masjid" as "Mosque". So dear Muslim brothers and sisters, refrain from using this term which is obviously a disgusting slap in the face to the Ummah. Educate our brothers and sisters to the history and etymology of this word. And let us replace it with the word which is MEANT to be used: Masjid! The Place of Prostration!! Not Mosque: the place to be swatted! If any of you have doubts about this, then please go look for the book and read it.

With Best Regards,

Haritha@}

Source: The Book of "THE COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING ISLAM"

As Salamu Alekum

Hmmmm, conspiracy theory again?
I came across that issue a couple of times already, and I did my own search. What I came up with was that it's FAKE, it's just too ridiculous to be true, and I can't swallow it, sorry. And as previously stated, I believe we already have more important stuff to do, right?

Salam

PS: brother Asaad, you'r really good at history, masha'Allah :D

saffanah

speak good or silent
:salam2:

For sisters and brothers who have corrected my post I'd like to say jazakallah khairan katsiran. And also I apologize for this untrue information. There's one thing that i must learn that to receive any informations i have to TABAYYUN first, means to check and recheck wheter this news is correct or not.
Once again I'm sorry for this fake information. Jazakallah for your explanation, may Allah rewards your good deeds. Amin

Status
Not open for further replies.