Please comment on this article (Introduction about Islam)

identity v

Assalamualaikum,
My name is Hayder, its been sometime I havent visited TTI. Please do me a favour of reading this and tell me what are the things you would change to make it better. It's addressed to both Muslims and non Muslims. Anything you feel needs to be added or removed or if it's too long e.t.c.: JazakAllah

Did you know this?

A warm welcome to you dear reader and peace be with you.

Thanks for having an interest in knowing about Islam and Muslims. Whether you are a Muslim, a Christian, a Jew, an Atheist, a Feminist, a Homosexual or a Human right/Peace activist there is always something interesting for you to learn in Islam. Islam has become the most misunderstood way of life as a result of misrepresentation of the true Islam by both Muslims and non Muslims.

Islam as the complete way of life has been the religion of humans from the beginning of man's existence. It was taught by the representatives (Prophets) of the one and only existing God (Allah in Arabic) the Creator and the Sustainer of the universe. Based on reason and logical evidence Islam means total submission to the natural laws of the one Who created us. As a result the true follower of Islam (Muslim) achieves peace with his/her Sustainer, within themselves as well as with other creation. The whole universe with all its contents is based on the idea of submitting to the fine balance of order it was created for, so that peace exists, in other words everything is Islam. Any interference of these balances is injustice which causes disorder, the total opposite of Islam.

Founded on a very strict and deep concept of Monotheism and firmly established by Prophet Abraham (pbuh), the whole purpose of it is to purify both the hearts and the actions of those who accept it. Allah's attitude towards the whole universe is based on Mercy and love and orders humans to beautify themselves with such attributes. Allah's judgment is mainly founded on forgiveness and actively looking for any excuse not to punish. However, arrogance is considered to be the mother of all evils hence it is the unforgiveable crime in the eyes of Allah unless if one changes. Everything belongs to Allah and one day they will all return to Him.

The Quran is the last of the series of holy books and the unchanged words of God revealed to the last of the Prophet Mohamed peace be upon him. It was preceded by other holy books such as the Torah of Moses, the Psalms of David and the Gospel of Jesus peace be upon them all. Others would be the holy books from the Eastern religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism e.t.c. of which we don’t know much about their Prophets. Quran confirms and takes care of the purity of the other holy books. Quran is not responsible for what was recorded in the previous holy books as other people’s personal opinions. Quran is not a book of science, economy, sociology, politics, geology or any other subject apart from guidance. However, Allah mentions some few things from various topics simply for two reasons; a sign to prove that it was authored by the All Knowing Allah as well as giving human beings guidance on how to live the best way. Quran as a manual book for the humans from the One who created them, will always be the source of goodness. Even though revealed 1400 years ago it has always stood by itself to challenge people to prove it wrong. Scientific facts are just a few of the relevant examples. A few verses in the Quran would establish a powerful working system of economy, ruling and social interactions throughout history based on people’s culture and time. It was the Quran that changed the uncivilized Bedouin Arabs into the rulers of the world. Justice established by the Quran was the theme of leadership and the shura (council) was how they would decide on matters of the state. A passion for knowledge was installed in their hearts hence an active pursuing and collection of knowledge from around the world lead to great scientific discoveries that are still used today especially in the West. Muslims turning their back on the Quran today has only resulted in their loss.

Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) was the living Quran for us and the last one of all the over 124000 prophets who were sent to different communities at different times. They were chosen by God because they were sinless human beings and people with the highest moral behaviors. Stories of 25 of them are told in the Quran as a needed guidance package for a Muslim to learn from. 5 of them i.e. Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Mohamed peace be upon them all are considered the highest in ranks due to the hardships they had to go through for the sake of establishing goodness and stopping evil. Prophets did not compete but supported each other for the sake of God. They all came with the same fundamental message from God but humans decided to differ hence sectarianism was born.

Humans came from their first ancestors Adam and Eve hence brothers and sisters in humanity. However God never said when the first humans first stepped on earth. So the Judeo-Christian belief that they lived 6000 years ago that contradicts the historical and scientific discoveries is nowhere to be found in Islam. However, Muslims are not obliged to believe in the coming of new species from the previous ones as a result of accumulated random genetic mutations and natural selection unless if the evolutionists can prove it by bringing a new species from the current ones using the hypothesis (claim) they have come up with. Humans unlike Angels and Animals have got free will to choose between right and wrong. Angelic as well as animalistic characteristics are built in every human. The challenge is to find a balance between them by excelling in angelic qualities by using the animalistic ones. Gender as well as religious differences are appreciated and accommodated while racism has no place in Islam.

Many researches have and will continue to be done about Islam and its teachings but the main essence of being a Muslim is not into the intellectual argument or the appearance of how a Muslim should be, or how many good actions can a Muslim do. Don’t misquote me, these are all good things BUT the real essence is the status of the heart of a Muslim in the eyes of the Most Loving Allah expressed in his/her overall behaviour especially in the following of the Islamic requirements.

Whether you are a Muslim or not, it is not shameful to realize that you have been living with some misconceptions about Islam and Muslims. The real shame is to accept the stereotypes as the truth and having no intention to clear them up.

I am waiting for your reply.

Salam
Hayder:)

weakslave

:wasalam:

I read it. Here are some things I would consider revising:

Islam as the complete way of life has been the religion of humans from the beginning of man's existence. It was taught by the representatives (Prophets) of the one and only existing God (Allah in Arabic) the Creator and the Sustainer of the universe.

God is Ilah in Arabic. Allaah is the most beautiful name of God, and Allaah is Al-Ilaah: the one true God.

Founded on a very strict and deep concept of Monotheism and firmly established by Prophet Abraham (pbuh), the whole purpose of it is to purify both the hearts and the actions of those who accept it.

Monotheism was established.. well, since forever. Adam only taught monotheism, and indeed Islam. As did all the later prophets and messengers.

Others would be the holy books from the Eastern religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism e.t.c. of which we don’t know much about their Prophets.

We can't claim this and its better to avoid making such claims as what these religions represent now, irrespective what is in their literature, combines the highest form of shirk with other acts of disobedience to The Creator. At least the Jews and Chrisitians aren't as far gone as they are, but with Hinduism/Buddhism we would be hard pressed to find similarities between them and Islam.

Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) was the living Quran for us and the last one of all the over 124000 prophets who were sent to different communities at different times. They were chosen by God because they were sinless human beings and people with the highest moral behaviors.

Prophets or Messengers are not sinless. Even the Prophet Muhammad :saw: made mistakes, but Allaah has promised to forgive them all their sins.

Stories of 25 of them are told in the Quran as a needed guidance package for a Muslim to learn from. 5 of them i.e. Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Mohamed peace be upon them all are considered the highest in ranks due to the hardships they had to go through for the sake of establishing goodness and stopping evil.

Maybe you can also mention here that Muhammad :saw: was the leader of all the prophets, and he carried the seal of prophethood.

Humans came from their first ancestors Adam and Eve hence brothers and sisters in humanity. However God never said when the first humans first stepped on earth. So the Judeo-Christian belief that they lived 6000 years ago that contradicts the historical and scientific discoveries is nowhere to be found in Islam. However, Muslims are not obliged to believe in the coming of new species from the previous ones as a result of accumulated random genetic mutations and natural selection unless if the evolutionists can prove it by bringing a new species from the current ones using the hypothesis (claim) they have come up with. Humans unlike Angels and Animals have got free will to choose between right and wrong. Angelic as well as animalistic characteristics are built in every human. The challenge is to find a balance between them by excelling in angelic qualities by using the animalistic ones. Gender as well as religious differences are appreciated and accommodated while racism has no place in Islam.

I think this is a little unnecessary and overstuffed. Are you raising arguments or stating facts? This should be focused on one thing, introducing Islam. People will ask these questions later, simply stating it like this won't give you credibility.

Whether you are a Muslim or not, it is not shameful to realize that you have been living with some misconceptions about Islam and Muslims. The real shame is to accept the stereotypes as the truth and having no intention to clear them up.

You might want to reword those statements, I think there is a typo there somewhere.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

In the fourth paragraph you use the word Allah's attitude. I do not know if attidtude is the appropriate word here.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Thanks for having an interest in knowing about Islam and Muslims. Whether you are a Muslim, a Christian, a Jew, an Atheist, a Feminist, a Homosexual or a Human right/Peace activist there is always something interesting for you to learn in Islam. Islam has become the most misunderstood way of life as a result of misrepresentation of the true Islam by both Muslims and non Muslims.

Assalmau allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baraktuhu dear brother

I would start your mesage with Islaamic greeting " Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baraktuhu". In the name of Allah, the most Mercyfull, The Most Compassioante. All praise be to Allah, The Lord of all Worlds, and may Allahs peace and blessing be upon His Last Messanger Mohammed sallahhu alayhe wa salam.

After you could add some ayah from Quran, where Allah sais that He gudies of His salves to who He wish,and leave in misgudiance whome He wish.

Islam as the complete way of life has been the religion of humans from the beginning of man's existence. It was taught by the representatives (Prophets) of the one and only existing God (Allah in Arabic) the Creator and the Sustainer of the universe.

I think that " Ilaah" is Arabic word which means " God", while " Allah" is the most beautiful name of our Lord,and Inshallah you can say more about other beautiful names of Allah Almighty, from ayah which are beautifully describing Allah subhane we teala and all his atributes.“And to Allah belong the Most Beautiful Names, so invoke Him by them. And leave [the company of] those who practice deviation [ilhad] concerning His Names. They will be recompensed for what they have been doing.” [Surah Al- Araf, ayah 180)

Allah's attitude towards the whole universe is based on Mercy and love and orders humans to beautify themselves with such attributes. Allah's judgment is mainly founded on forgiveness and actively looking for any excuse not to punish. However, arrogance is considered to be the mother of all evils hence it is the unforgiveable crime in the eyes of Allah unless if one changes. Everything belongs to Allah and one day they will all return to Him.

I do not like the way you said "Allah's attitude" , because I think it can be said on some other way including how Allah subahn we tela has been described Him selfe in the Quraan,and by His atributes. I aslo think it is not right to say that Allahs judgment is mainly based on forgivness. I think it is better to say that Allah subahn we teala is The Most Forgiving, but that he is also the One who is punishing strictly, those who have wrongthemselves and who left the right way of Allah, which is based on doing Ibadah to Allah, folowing Sunnah of His last Messanger sallahu alayhe wa saalam, doing good deeds,and avoiding mayor sins.

Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) was the living Quran for us and the last one of all the over 124000 prophets who were sent to different communities at different times. They were chosen by God because they were sinless human beings and people with the highest moral behaviors.

Allah subhanahu weteala freed the prophets from any sin. The prophets were free from committing sins that is what made the different from us. However, they were not free from mistakes. So the prophet :saw: prayed a prayer two rekah that should have been four. The companions asked him :saw; if the prayer had been reduced. He :saw: asked them why and they told him that he prayed 2 rekah instead of four so he :saw: taught them to do sahv sujood two rekah that will replace of the mistakes. Also, that is a mercy that Allah showed us what to do if we forget some arkaan of salah. But Allah freed him from sins as he did all the other prophets.

And Allah knows the best

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Three other minor details:

1. Please be careful when you use numbers. There are specific rules about writing out numbers. You may want to refer to a writers handbook. I know this is picky. I am just trying to help. ( Forgive my typos..am using one hand).
2. You give us the number of prophets..unless you are a Muslim this is a large number. Give us a reference. Be very detailed in your reference.
3. Your thesis has to be in the positive. Noone ever wants to read anything in the negative. I would narrow my scope to either Muslim or non-Muslim reader. No Muslim wants to think that they have as little knowledge as the kuffir. In rereading your opening it makes the reader wonder why are you putting nonBelievers in the same category as Believers. Insert some sentences as to why Islam would be beneficial to the kuffir. Do not put Muslims in the same sentence as Homosexuals and other nonBelievers.

Who is your targeted audience. Is this for teenagers, is this a speech..this is not for serious Muslims. Take a moment and rewrite your opening. It is too broad.

I pray this helps you a little. I have graded many a paper in my life. If I come across as a teacher type...I was..and I did shread many a paper for my college students...all to help you be a better writer.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I'll just give some brief comment as others have highlighted the important issues that would need to be revised.

Even if this article is to be targetted to Non-Muslims, you would want to back up your facts/statements with ayaat from the Quran and hadeeth; as both the Quran and ahadeeth are used as our main references in every matters.

Try to widen your sources. Look and search for as many authentic, reliable articles as you can, then start to write. Represent Islam as positive + beautiful + perfect as you can; as thats how Islam really is.

Wassalam.

muharram23

Staff member
Salamu alaykum

sister Asja u said

"No Prophets were sinless becasue only Allah is the most Perfect, but it is truth that they had highest moral behaviour, and it is good to say that mashallah, because Prophets were the best of other mankinds,and thier lifes is gudiance for others."

Allah subhanahu weteala freed the prophets from any sin. The prophets were free from committing sins that is what made the different from us. However, they were not free from mistakes. So the prophet :saw: prayed a prayer two rekah that should have been four. The companions asked him :saw; if the prayer had been reduced. He :saw: asked them why and they told him that he prayed 2 rekah instead of four so he :saw: taught them to do sahv sujood two rekah that will replace of the mistakes. Also, that is a mercy that Allah showed us what to do if we forget some arkaan of salah. But Allah freed him from sins as he did all the other prophets.

Allah knows best

wassalam

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Salamu alaykum

sister Asja u said

"No Prophets were sinless becasue only Allah is the most Perfect, but it is truth that they had highest moral behaviour, and it is good to say that mashallah, because Prophets were the best of other mankinds,and thier lifes is gudiance for others."

Allah knows best

wassalam

Wa allaicumu Sallam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Jazzak Allah khair dear brother for correcting the mistake I made. I have edited my post and I have included the answer you gave in the same.

May Allah reword you and increase your knowledge.Ameen

Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

muharram23

Staff member
Salamu alaykum

ameen wa iyyaki. May Allah increase us in knowledge as HE sva says in Quran "و قل رب زدني علما" And say increase me in knowledge my lord.

Wassalam

identity v

Thank you all sisters/brothers for your comments, keep them coming I am still listening, I have to say your corrections are very interesting and they make me think. I will say something when everyone has had a chance.

JazakumAllah

Salam
Hayder