Please explain this hadith to me :D

YoungMuslim1

Selected Hadith : Sahih Bukhari.
Book : 31. Fasting.

031 : 115 : Narrated By Talha bin 'Ubaid-Ullah

A bedouin with unkempt hair came to Allah's Apostle and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Inform me what Allah has made compulsory for me as regards the prayers." He replied: "You have to offer perfectly the five compulsory prayers in a day and night (24 hours), unless you want to pray Nawafil." The bedouin further asked, "Inform me what Allah has made compulsory for me as regards fasting." He replied, "You have to fast during the whole month of Ramadan, unless you want to fast more as Nawafil." The bedouin further asked, "Tell me how much Zakat Allah has enjoined on me." Thus, Allah's Apostle informed him about all the rules (i.e. fundamentals) of Islam. The bedouin then said, "By Him Who has honored you, I will neither perform any Nawafil nor will I decrease what Allah has enjoined on me. Allah's Apostle said, "If he is saying the truth, he will succeed (or he will be granted Paradise)."

Salamualikum, i do not get the part where allah's apostle says "If he is saying the truth, he will succeed (or he will be granted Paradise)." why would he say that that person said that he will not perform any Nawafil nor will he decrease what Allah has enjoined for him???:SMILY176::SMILY176:

Plzz explain inshallah

salah_khan

Asalam brother,
this hadeeth is saheeh and what it means is a kind of glad tiding for us,because to go to jannah is not difficult you should have correct creed about Allah and not do any kind of shirk and do all the basic obligatory acts mentioned in this hadeeth even if you dont pray any nawfil nor additional fast except for ramadan. the prophet of Allah has given us glad tidings that this is the basic believer who will go to the basic level of paradise.
Allah knows best

Durriyyah

Forever Student
:salam2:

Right, many people spend so much time focusing on the nawfil actions, worrying about the consequences of not doing them. The Prophet :saw2: , is showing us that we need to make sure that our fard actions are done simply to get to Jannah inshaAllah

hassana elkoussi

Dear brother/ sister the meaning of the hadith is not that simple. Yes it means that fard acts can lead one to Paradise, but only on condition that they're done properly,i.e., without any Shaytan whispers & with us being focused on what we say in our prayers and with complete sincerity & without any shortcomings. This is what is meant by the words " if he's telling the truth" , but is any of us doing our fard acts in that sincere or truthful way?
The nawafil are there to make up for any shortcomings- stated in a sacred hadith ( hadith Qodsy)- and to make us get closer to Allah - stated in another beautiful sacred hadith where Allah swt says ( I'm not quoting ) " The best way for my slave to get closer to ME , next to performing fard acts , is doing nawafil. And my slave keeps on getting closer to me by doing nawafil till he gains my love. And if he gains my love i become his vision with which he sees, the hearing with which he hears , his legs with which he walks and if he asks Me, I give him and if he seeks my refuge, I will surely give him my refuge."( Excuse me that;s my translation) This doesn't only apply to prayers, but also to charity, sadaka, fasting other than Ramadan, Hajj more than once.

I hope this helped in understanding the hadith and Allah knows best.

hassana elkoussi

Here's the Hadith

Abu Huraira Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated that Allah’s Messenger Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam said that Allah said: “I will declare war against him who shows hostility to a pious worshipper of mine And the most beloved things with which My slave comes nearer to Me, is what I have enjoined upon him; and My worshipper keeps on coming closer to Me through perfoming Nawafil (praying or doing extra deeds besides what is (obligatory) till I love him, then I become his sense of hearing with which he hears, and his sense of sight with which he sees, and his hands with which he grips, and his legs with which he walks; and if he asks Me, I will give him, and if he asks My Protection (Refuge), I will Protect him.”

Narrated by Al-Bukhari.

samiha

---------
Staff member

This hadeeth should not be taken as evidence for us as well, that we should not do nawafil prayers and actions. Rather we should try our best to do all that is in accordance to the Sunnah and exceed in things aside from just the Fard.

If you notice in the Hadeeth it does not mention Hajj, even though it is part of the foundation of Islam. This shows this hadeeth was situational / conditional. It is a very individual question and so it may be that Hajj was not fard on him, or it is from a time in which Hajj was not obligatory. (As you notice it was a bedouin who came and asked him :saw:)

Allah knows best, but from this nobody should take the meaning of not doing extra good.

But also I wanted to add this:

""The Shaytaan has misled most people by beautifying for them the performance of certain voluntary acts of worship such as voluntary prayers and voluntary fasting while neglecting other obligatory acts of worship such as enjoining the good and eradicating the evil, to the extent that they do not even make the intention of performing them whenever they are able. Such people are considered by the scholars to be on the bottom of the scale of religion: for the essence of our religion is to perform what Allaah ordered us to do.""

The above quote is from I‘laamul-Muwaqi‘een (2/176), as quoted in "The Advice of Ibnul-Qayyim," available at: http://www.troid.org/ibaadah/scholarly-admonitions/the-advice-of-ibnul-qayyim.html

Therefore, even though voluntary things are very rewarding and good, if by doing this one believes it is better than the obligatory or neglects or reduces in doing them, then this is wholly incorrect.

wasalam

shichemlydia

trial to help

salam alikoum,
here in this hadeeth, " if he is saying the truth "means if he is telling what is in his heart. because there is another hadeeth dealing with almost the same thing, when a man came to the prophet mohamed (pbuoh) and he said ' oh allah's apostle, what do you see if i perform only the compulsory things and nothing more than that, will i be granted paradise, and the prophet mohamed (pbuoh) said, YES"
and allah knows the best
wa salam alikoum

Muslim_Gurl

Thank You Allah!

Here's the Hadith

Abu Huraira Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated that Allah’s Messenger Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam said that Allah said: “I will declare war against him who shows hostility to a pious worshipper of mine And the most beloved things with which My slave comes nearer to Me, is what I have enjoined upon him; and My worshipper keeps on coming closer to Me through perfoming Nawafil (praying or doing extra deeds besides what is (obligatory) till I love him, then I become his sense of hearing with which he hears, and his sense of sight with which he sees, and his hands with which he grips, and his legs with which he walks; and if he asks Me, I will give him, and if he asks My Protection (Refuge), I will Protect him.”

Narrated by Al-Bukhari.

:salam2: sister, that was a wonderful hadith! When reading this hadith, chills ran down my back. Thankx so much!

:wasalam::hearts:

hassana elkoussi

By the way , the translation " if he's telling the truth" doesn't really convey the true meaning of the original Arabic version.The Arabic words ان صدق rather mean " if he's sincere" & Allah knows best.

hassana elkoussi

:salam2: sister, that was a wonderful hadith! When reading this hadith, chills ran down my back. Thankx so much!

:salam2: sister Yes that's a beautiful hadith that's so encouraging for us to do nawafil acts to win Allah's love. I'm so glad you're ok now.:holaaa::holaaa::holaaa:

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge

May Allah Ta Alla put his love and Mercy on you sister. That Hadith made my eyes fill with tears. :)

I want to continue into saying something more, but later, Inshallah.