Please Help!

code_red613

Salam Sisters and Brothers,

I need help because I am confused. I know one of the 99 names of Allah An-Nur, But when I take lessons I am taught that An-Nur means the one who guides. I dont understand how people say Allah is the light or is like the light... I run across people every day who say this. Islam will never Belittle your mind and in the Qur'an Allah always continuously clears himself of being not like anything and also says (im sorry if i spell this wrong) Lassah Kamithlihe Shay Which means Allah is not like anything or any creation. So it does not make any sense to me for someone to say Allah is the light, but not like the light we know. If you know the 13 attributes of Allah which is just basic stuff you know that by saying Allah is the light (astaghfirullah) this is contradicting most of them.

Abdul_Azeez

wa alaykum as-salaam

This name is mentioned in this verse: Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth...[24:35].

Calling Allah (subhanah wa ta'ala) The Light doesn't mean that He's in any physical form of light. It has 2 correct interpretations:

1. It refers to the obviousness of the signs that refer to His existance. Allah's signs in the universe which lead to Him are as clear as the light.

2. Allah guides the believers in their journey and shows them the straight path, just as the light shows the way in darkness.

If any brother or sister know any other interpretation, feel free to add :)

Salam,

code_red613

In the Qur'an it says
" Allahu Nurus Samawati Wal 'Ard"

^Abdullah ibn ^Abbas the cousin of the Prophet Saws and the interpreter of Al Qur'an interperted this verse by saying it means Allah is the one who guides those who are in the heavens (the angels) and those who are on earth (the believers) to the light of the belief.

This is correct information

And to say Allah is the light is a blasphomous saying. You cannot attribute Allah of which he did not attribute himself and the name An- Nur means the one who guides. To say he is a body, energy, creation in anyway contradicts Islam and is blasphemy. Islam does not belittle your mind and you cannot say he is the light.

code_red613

To actually say the word light in the English language litterally means light like a light bulb or the sun. the proper word to use is not light it is guidence. The only reason I say this is because I found a post where some people on this site said Allah is the light and this is not the correct translation of words to be using because that is likening Allah to his creations. Allah also said "I am not like anything you can imagine and when you cannot imagine anything the you have the proper belief." so to say he is light first thing that comes to my mind is what the word light means and this is incorrect. Please look into this for your own safety the internet is not always accurate.

Abdul_Azeez

Calling Allah (subhanah wa ta'ala) The Light doesn't mean that He's in any physical form of light

Sister, you're right that Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) is not in any physical form whatsover, and this is what I said. The interpretations are not mine, they're from a respected sheikh in aqeedah.

An-Nur literally means The Light, sister. The verse I quoted is from an official translation. Here is the full verse: Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The parable of His Light is as if there were a Niche and within it a Lamp: the Lamp enclosed in Glass; the glass as it were a brilliant star: lit from a blessed Tree, an Olive, neither of the East nor of the West, whose Oil is well-nigh luminous, though fire scarce touched it: Light upon Light! Allah doth guide whom He will to His Light: Allah doth set forth Parables for men: and Allah doth know all things. [24:35]

Abdul_Azeez

In the Qur'an it says
" Allahu Nurus Samawati Wal 'Ard"

^Abdullah ibn ^Abbas the cousin of the Prophet Saws and the interpreter of Al Qur'an interperted this verse by saying it means Allah is the one who guides those who are in the heavens (the angels) and those who are on earth (the believers) to the light of the belief.

This is correct information
This is why I posted it as one of the answers, which is no. 2 in my first post :)

An-Nur (النور) is the arabic word for Light. Check out the translations here:
YUSUFALI: Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The Parable of His Light is as if there were a Niche and within it a Lamp: the Lamp enclosed in Glass: the glass as it were a brilliant star: Lit from a blessed Tree, an Olive, neither of the east nor of the west, whose oil is well-nigh luminous, though fire scarce touched it: Light upon Light! Allah doth guide whom He will to His Light: Allah doth set forth Parables for men: and Allah doth know all things.
PICKTHAL: Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The similitude of His light is as a niche wherein is a lamp. The lamp is in a glass. The glass is as it were a shining star. (This lamp is) kindled from a blessed tree, an olive neither of the East nor of the West, whose oil would almost glow forth (of itself) though no fire touched it. Light upon light. Allah guideth unto His light whom He will. And Allah speaketh to mankind in allegories, for Allah is Knower of all things.
SHAKIR: Allah is the light of the heavens and the earth; a likeness of His light is as a niche in which is a lamp, the lamp is in a glass, (and) the glass is as it were a brightly shining star, lit from a blessed olive-tree, neither eastern nor western, the oil whereof almost gives light though fire touch it not-- light upon light-- Allah guides to His light whom He pleases, and Allah sets forth parables for men, and Allah is Cognizant of all things.
so to say he is light first thing that comes to my mind is what the word light means
Allah names refer to actions, not materialistic attributes. For example: The Strong (القوي) means that Allah can do everything he wishes to, and never gets weak or tired. The Strong does NOT mean that Allah (subhana) has muscles. :astag:

So, when The Almighty says that he's The Light, the first thing that comes to mind is how we need him to show us the way to the straight path, by blessing our hearts and minds with the light to know what's right and what's wrong, as we can't do it on our own.

Please look into this for your own safety the internet is not always accurate.
This information is from an 800-page reference in aqeedah and not from the internet.

You can check other sunni sources and you'll find the same answers :)

Salam,

massi

َAssalam Alaikom

sorry but I got confused :astag::astag::astag:
while you telling us that the aya in the quran says That Allaah is not like any of His creation but in same time you try to avoid to say God is the light :astag::astag::astag:because in your view,the light must be like the light of the candle or the lamp or anything else ????
The difference between the names and attributes of Allaah​
What is the difference between the names and attributes of Allaah?

Praise be to Allaah.
The names of Allaah are all those names that refer to Allaah Himself and also refer to one of His perfect attributes that exist in Him, such as al-Qaadir (the All-Powerful), al-‘Aleem (the All-Knowing), al-Hakeem (the Most Wise), al-Samee’ (the All-Hearing), al-Baseer (the All-Seeing). These names refer to Allaah Himself and to His qualities of knowledge, wisdom, hearing, sight. So the names refer to two things, while attributes refer to one thing. And it was said that the name includes the attribute and the attribute implies the name. We must believe in all the attributes that have been narrated from Allaah or from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a manner that befits Allaah, whilst also believing that He does not resemble any of His creation in any of His attributes, just as He does not resemble them in His Essence. Allaah says:​
“Say (O Muhammad): He is Allaah, (the) One.​
Allaah-us-Samad [Allaah — the Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, (He neither eats nor drinks)].​
He begets not, nor was He begotten.​
And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him.””​
[al-Ikhlaas]​
“There is nothing like Him, and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer”​
[al-Shoora 42:11]​
And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions, and grant them peace.

Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz.
from here

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Assalamu Allaicum dear sister

Al-Nur is one of the Allahs 99 beautiful names,and there is a loot of proofs from Quran where Allah subahn we teala call Himselfe Al-Nur (The Light), "Allah is The Light of The Heavens and Earth".There is also mentioned that Muslims in the name of Prophet s.a.w.s thought that maybe our RasullAllah saw Allah because of ayahs from Quran "And he saw him two times",but this ayah is refering that Prophet s.a.w.s saw Angel and not Allah.
There is also reported that Aisha r.a. asked Prophet s.a.w.s did he saw Allah,and Prophet s.a.w.s. answers her "Light,how can I see Him).

We are obligated to belive in Allah Almighty atributes which were given to us trough Quran and Sunnah,but still nobody of us does not know exatctly Allah physical atributes,because there is also ayahs where Allah subahn we teal sais" Jews are saying"The hand of Allah is closed,may they hands be closed and may they be cursed what they are saying,No,both His hands are open,and He is giving us much as He wish" (Al-Mayda:64).This ayah does not mean that Allah has two hands,niether is telling us something exactly.It is understanbule that this ayah is saying how Allah is Mercyfull and Generous SubhanAllah.It is the same with Allah name "The Light" which does not mean on physical Charecteristics of Allah Almighty.Allahu Aleem,Allah knows the best.

I hope Inhsallah I could help you some how sister,:tti_sister:

May Allah bless you

:wasalam:

code_red613

Salam

It seems to me that I have the same belief as all of you. But you keep saying the word Allah is light what I am saying is that the proper way to say it is Allah guides us to the light. You cant say Allah has muscles, Just like you cant say Allah is the light. All the references you gave me it says Allah is the light. Are those books in Arabic or English? because in Arabic there is no word light its An-Nur and An-Nur is is guidence it does not say in any Book or Hadith that Allah is light because English wasnt even a language for them. When you are taling about Allah you already gave the examples of power not Muscles same goes with Guidence not light. English Translations of Qur'anic Scriptures and Hadiths are not always correct. There are some Arabic words that in english can have many many different meanings. So why did whoeevr start saying Allah is light to the word light and not Guidence. Because all of the definitions you guys gave me are all Correct ALLAH GUIDES US but in the first reply I got where you gave me 2 examples neither of them even says Allah is light. Its all about Guidence. Everyones mind can comprehend that Allah is not like a human being so you cant say Allah has muscles because says he is nothign like the creation So why cant we comprehend that Allah created light which would be the same thing as creating a human being so you cannot say neither becuase they are both his creation. May Allah grant us all paradise and protect us from the hell fire and Raise the rank of our beloved Prophet Saws.

massi

Salam

It seems to me that I have the same belief as all of you. But you keep saying the word Allah is light what I am saying is that the proper way to say it is Allah guides us to the light. You cant say Allah has muscles, Just like you cant say Allah is the light. All the references you gave me it says Allah is the light. Are those books in Arabic or English? because in Arabic there is no word light its An-Nur and An-Nur is is guidence it does not say in any Book or Hadith that Allah is light because English wasnt even a language for them. When you are taling about Allah you already gave the examples of power not Muscles same goes with Guidence not light. English Translations of Qur'anic Scriptures and Hadiths are not always correct. There are some Arabic words that in english can have many many different meanings. So why did whoeevr start saying Allah is light to the word light and not Guidence. Because all of the definitions you guys gave me are all Correct ALLAH GUIDES US but in the first reply I got where you gave me 2 examples neither of them even says Allah is light. Its all about Guidence. Everyones mind can comprehend that Allah is not like a human being so you cant say Allah has muscles because says he is nothign like the creation So why cant we comprehend that Allah created light which would be the same thing as creating a human being so you cannot say neither becuase they are both his creation. May Allah grant us all paradise and protect us from the hell fire and Raise the rank of our beloved Prophet Saws.

Assalam Alaikom

[FONT=MS Sans Serif,arial,verdana,helvetica]click on "Article - Allaah is An-Nur" to to read the entire article by PFD.
[/FONT]

Allaah is An-Nuur — Tafseer Surah An-Nuur 24:35