Please insha allah give me advice on my term paper subjects!

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Assalamu alaykum wa ramatullahi wa barakatu,

This semester I have to write a series of connected term papers. I thought I had a good topic in mind but now I have realized the topic is incorrect. I had my thesis worked out and already completed my paper. And then I realize I misread something and I actually have to do it on a "Foreign culture or belief system" So..........I'm doing mine on Islam. But thats too vague, I have to narrow down my topic.

Paper 1: I think I want to do it on "How Islam improved the lives of Pagan Arabians" So help with that will be nice.
Paper 2: I have to describe how 1 aspect of Islam is best for society world wide.

I also considered doing my papers on Pakistan. Again, not sure what aspect.

Sadly I dont have long before I turn this in, so I cant buy a book from the internet because it would take too long. I'm quite frazzled and worried I wont make it in time. :girl3:

PDF's are welcome insha allah.
Tomorrow morning I'm going to the library insha allah and browse our small selection of Islamic books and see if anything jumps out.

What 4 aspects should I do?

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Asaalaam alaikum,

What class are these for..it may help us to limit the topic.

It's only for an English class. I am writing college leveled papers on how I can demonstrate my abilities to explain and defend a position. And it has to be over a global belief system or foreign culture.

1st paper: I guess I want to show how Islam gave rights to women, discouraged slavery, etc.

2nd paper: I know I want to demonstrate how Islam is still beneficial to our society today.

Alhamdulilah, I'm thinking a bit more clearly. At the time of making this topic, i was pacing around my kitchen with a book open in each hand. I can also use (reputable) internet sources so the fact I cant go out and buy a book is not so daunting.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Asaalaam alaikum,

OK..Global belief system...Islam fits nicely into that. Your position can simply be to have an introductory paper on Islam. Remember most people do not know what it is. So your thesis can be something like: Islam is a good example of a global belief system. You would have to take a couple of paragraphs and define what you mean by global belief system. I am sure someone with a phd has a good definition. Once you have your definition fill in the blanks by inserting how Islam meets the criteria for the definition. Include in your argument how it is a community system, how it has an economic system..historically the first thing that was established was the bayat amal ( the general fund) and then the police system to protect the community, the zakat and its purposes. A global belief system is established for the greater good. Am I making sense?

WKAS

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Assalamu alaykum wa ramatullahi wa barakatu,
Paper 2: I have to describe how 1 aspect of Islam is best for society world wide.
Wasalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh,

The first topic is a lot more interesting. If you can get some good material on it. It's going to be amazing.

For the second topic, may be if you go for Islamic finance system. There is "what I'm thinking" a very good documentary on this in a thread made by BII7. Someone bumped the thread recently and the comments on it were quite interesting. sadly, I couldn't watch it 'cos utube is banned in Pak.

So you could start with how islam is a deen not religion, how it is a perfect way of life etc and then give example for Islamic finance system and dive in.

strive-may-i

Assalaamu Alaikum,

Paper -1:
You might want to definitely add some more context. In west Religious belief system, out of prejudice is most often seen as a non-system. So you would have to add some context to clear that notion. Similarly The human brains ability has not drastically improved in last 5000 years, is what we are all told. Notion that people 1500 years before were dumb , though not correct, is common. The difference is the accumulated material knowledge. You will have to address this too. Islam is relevant then, Islam is relevant now. You will have to convey that.

Paper-2:
Options
a. Islamic Banking System. Sister's suggestion is good. There are more who understand and appreciate it after the recent economic crisis etc. Has more traction.
b. The legal system: Now this is not easy. I think, the modern system looks at the physical, legal aspect of justice, while Islam covers even the emotional, social stability aspects of justice. The root causes are addressed better in the Islamic system.