pls explain this hadith to me!

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:salam2:,

i read in one hadith that Allah says: 'I am as My servant thinks I am'.

if somebody think that Allah is Merciful and Justful...of course He is indeed!

but if one think that Allah is unjustful *Allah forbid), He is not unjust.

can someone explain me this properly?

~Ali_

Fixing da foundation
Salam brother
Perhaps you should give references and stuff so the more knowledgable brothers and sisters can help you out more easly?

mufakkir

:salam2:,

i read in one hadith that Allah says: 'I am as My servant thinks I am'.

if somebody think that Allah is Merciful and Justful...of course He is indeed!

but if one think that Allah is unjustful *Allah forbid), He is not unjust.

can someone explain me this properly?

Salaam Alaikum,

This is part of a slightly longer hadith Qudsi.

"I am as My servant thinks I am. I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at runnig"

Allahu A'lam but the context of this hadith is mercy and forgiveness. It is not suggesting if you think Allah is unjust then that is what Allah is. No, rather that if you expect goodness from Allah you must truly believe that He is capable of giving good. If you ask for goodness and yet have some doubt in your heart (i.e think that Allah will not give it), then that goodness will not come since you do not deserve it, therefore what Allah gives to you will be in accordance to what you expect from Him (i.e how you see him).
Btw, i have also read that the first part of the hadith can be translated as 'I am as My servant EXPECTS me to be".
Hope this helps.
WaAllahu A'lam.

Was Salaam

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

If you don't mind akhi..I will post the full text of the hadith..which is one of the 40 Qudsi Hadiths (Holy Hadith)..for those wishing to research into it :)..

English:

On the authority of Abu Harayrah (may Allah be pleased with him), who said that the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) said: Allah the Almighty said:

"I am as My servant thinks I am. I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed."

It was related by al-Buhkari (also by Muslim, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn-Majah).

Imam Nawawi's 40 Hadith Qudsi

As for what it means...

This hadith relates to what a servant *suspects of Allah*..what he/she *think of Allah*..or how he/she perceives Him (swt)..and how he/she leads his/her life according to that "thought and/or perceivance"..in Islam we are *expected* to possess what would quite literally be phrased as *optimistic thoughts or perceivance* of Allah..and apply that "optimism" into our *deeds and actions* earnestly through sincere *conviction*..

The hadith reveals to us the importance of that *perceivance* because it will interpret into *the deeds* and *actions* of our actions and behaviors as Muslims...as in..when Muslims ask Allah for forgiveness after repentance..they *must believe* He (swt) Will forgive them..if they ask for healing they *must believe* He (swt) Will heal them..if they plead to Him (swt) then they *must believe* He *Hears* them and *Will* answer them according to His infallible Knowledge and Permission (swt)..thus the Muslims attached to that perceivance and committed to believing in it..will *act* according to what they *expect* of Allah (swt) in return..

Whereas someone who believes that Allah is unjust..that Allah does not answer dua'as..that Allah's mercy doesn't encompass everything..or that Allah does not forgive..(astaghfirullah al-adheem from such thoughts!)..and so on..then they will attach themselves to whims and desires..accompanied by lack of belief in Allah's Might and Power..and this inturn *will* influence their actions (i.e. if they no longer believe *repentance* is accepted by Allah..then they will have less taqwa in that..they will sin repeatedly because they think "it doesn't matter" now they *committed* sins)...and make them an *easy prey* to the fitnahs of dunya and the fitnahs of Iblis (ao'otho billah from him!)

The examples above derived from *the deeper spiritual meaning of the hadith*..take us to the *most important* part of *Islamic belief*..it takes us back to *tawheed*..and more specifically..*tawheed al-asmaa'a was-sifaat* (Tawheed of the names & attributes of Allah)..it also reminds us of the concept of *tawakkul*..and the concept of *raja'a* (plead)..and how *all* these things can literally..*make* or *break* the soundness and completeness of spirituality and belief of a Muslim!

Also..it puts before us an aim to *reach* and pinpoints to us *qualities* which we must possess (i.e. having tawakkul..believing in decree..believing in Allah's compassion..believing in Allah's generosity..etc.) and qualities we must avoid (i.e. hypocrisy..greed..not believing in Allah's Power..not seeking Allah in time of need..not doing things for Allah's sake..seeking means of shirk to accomplish matters..etc.)..and the qualities we must avoid are especially under focus in this instance..because Allah (swt) Warns against them in the Qura'an when He says:

"And that He may punish the Munafiqun (hypocrites), men and women, and also the Mushrikun men and women, who think evil thoughts about Allah: for them is a disgraceful torment. And the Anger of Allah is upon them, and He has cursed them and prepared Hell for them - and worst indeed is that destination." [Al-Fat'h 48:6]

"while another party was thinking about themselves and thought wrongly of Allah - the thought of ignorance." [Al-Imran 3:154]

And in Sahih Muslim there's a hadith of Rasulullah saying (from the narration of Jabir Ibn Abdullah Al-Ansari):

"None of you should die but hoping only good from Allah, the Exalted and Glorious. (Book #040, Hadith #6877)

As for the Quranic verses and hadiths pertaining to having *good perceivance and thoughts* of Allah (swt) and believing in His Might, Mercy, Justice, and Love..then they are *numerous* and deserve a thread all on their own..

Inshallah this will be of help to you..it is my personal understanding..and my personal wording..should it have incompetence..then it should be pointed out and corrected for Allah's Sake..and if I have transgressed with it in any way..then I ask Allah (swt) to forgive me for He is the Only One who Knows best..and surely no words can conclude better than the words of Allah (swt) when He says in the Qura'an:

"Verily, those who believe [in the Oneness of Allah, and in His Messenger] and do righteous good deeds, they are the best of creatures." [Al-Bayyina 98:7]

And

"Whosoever does righteous good deed, it is for (the benefit of) his ownself; and whosoever does evil, it is against his ownself. And your Lord is not at all unjust to (His) slaves." [Fussilat 41:46]

And Finally

"And whoever earns a good righteous deed, We shall give him an increase of good in respect thereof. Verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Ready to appreciate (the deeds of those who are obedient to Him)." [Ashura 42:23]

:wasalam:

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
jazaak Allah khair brother 'mufakkir' and sister 'muslimah86' for ur excellent explanations..

i am clearer now in this topic.:)

safiya58

Jazak Allahu ckair brother ahmed_indian for this thread I just loved this hadith. I wasn´t aware of it. and jazak Allahu ckair brother mufakkir and sister a_muslimah86 for the great explanations. mashaallah. This hadith is so heart warming :)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
JazakAllahu khair 'a_Muslimah86'. You've done a far better job than me!

ao'otho billah akhi!..inshallah you beat me to all the ajer by hastening to answer your brother's question..baraka allaho feek wa ahsana ilayk wa jazaka al-firdaws!..Ameen

Jazak Allahu ckair brother ahmed_indian for this thread I just loved this hadith. I wasn´t aware of it. and jazak Allahu ckair brother mufakkir and sister a_muslimah86 for the great explanations. mashaallah. This hadith is so heart warming :)

wa iyaki habibati fi allah!..alhamduliallah I was of help to you and to brother ahmed_indian :)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
How do you get Qudsi Hadith? Any link pls?

This is a *really good* one mashallah (link below)..it has the original Arabic..along with the English..and it has the entire collection of Qudsi Hadiths (all 40)..it even explains what Qudsi Hadiths are and such..so it's very thorough..you will enjoy reading the hadiths very much akhi!..they are so inspiring and heartwarming!..sobhanallah!

http://hadithqudsi.sacredhadith.com/about/