POLITENESS TOWARDS PARENTS AND THEIR RIGHT TO IT

EGY.Muslim

Brothers and Sister assalam alikum wa rahmat allah wa barakato.
i want to discuss with you one of the most important issue in islam which is the parents rights and whats the limit for this rights because a lot may get confused about that.
i would start that with Holy Quran which most of times associate politness towards parents with Tawhid .
and as we know Tawhid is No.1 in our religion , thats show how important is to be kind to your parents
(واعبدوا الله ولا تشركوا به شيئًا وبالوالدين إحسانًا) (النساء: 36)
surah 4 verse 36. Serve Allah, and join not any partners with Him; and do good- to parents, kinsfolk.
(وقضى ربك ألا تعبدوا إلا إياه وبالوالدين إحسانًا) (الإسراء: 23)
surah 17 verse 23 :Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honour.
also the Non-muslims parents have rights in islam thats show islam is the religion of mercy and kindness .
when asma'a ( abu bakr's daughter ) asked " my mother visit me ( and her mother was non-muslim ) should i connect to her ? " then this verse sent down
(لا ينهاكم الله عن الذين لم يقاتلوكم في الدين ولم يخرجوكم من دياركم أن تبروهم وتقسطوا إليهم، إن الله يحب المقسطين الممتحنة: 8)
surah 60 verse 8. Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loveth those who are just.
even if they try to stop you from allah's way and they want you not to be a muslim even though they treat you bad you still have to be kind to them
(وإن جاهداك على أن تشرك بي ما ليس لك به علم فلا تطعهما وصاحبهما في الدنيا معروفًا) (لقمان: 15)
surah 31 verse 15. "But if they strive to make thee join in worship with Me things of which thou hast no knowledge, obey them not; yet bear them company in this life with justice (and consideration), and follow the way of those who turn to me (in love): in the end the return of you all is to Me, and I will tell you the truth (and meaning) of all that ye did."

and also from hadith :
sahih bukhari link
http://www.iiu.edu.my/deed/hadith/muslim/032_smt.html
sahih muslim link
http://www.iiu.edu.my/deed/hadith/muslim/index.html

Book 32, Number 6181: Abu Huraira reported that a person said: Allah's Messenger, who amongst the people is most deserving of my good treatment? He said: Your mother, again your mother, again your mother, then your father, then your nearest relatives according to the order (of nearness).
shahih muslim.

and this lovely hadith it show how treating your parents good is faridah (obligation) and muslim must have priority for his worshiping like for example ,
if you are praying a sunni and your mother call you for help then you have to end the prayer right away and go to help her instead of praying because is faridah while your praying is sunni

Book 32, Number 6188:

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) as saying: None spoke in the cradle but only three (persons), Christ son of Mary, the second one the companion of Juraij. Juraij had got constructed a temple and confined himself in that. His mother came to him as he was busy in prayer and she said: Juraij. He said: My Lord, my mother (is calling me while I am engaged in) my prayer. He continued with the prayer. She returned and she came on the next day and he was busy in prayer, and she said: Juraij. And he said: My Lord, my mother (is calling me while I am engaged) in prayer, and he continued with the prayer and she went back, and then on the next day she again came and he was busy in prayer and she said: Juraij. And he said: My Lord, my mother (is calling me while I am engaged in my prayer, and he continued with the prayer, and she said: My Lord, don't give him death unless he has seen the fate of the prostitutes. The story of Juraij and that of his meditation and prayer gained currency amongst Bani Isra'il. There was a prostitute who had been a beauty incarnate. She said (to the people): If you like I can allure him to evil. She presented herself to him but he paid no heed (to her). She came to a shepherd who lived near the temple and she offered herself to him and he had a sexual intercourse with her and so she became pregnant arid when she gave birth to a child she said: This is from Juraij. So they came and asked him to get down and demolished the temple and began to beat him. He said: What is the matter? They said: You have committed fornication with this prostitute and she has given birth to a child from your loins. He said: Where is the child ? They brought him (the child) and he said: just leave me so that I should observe prayer. And he observed prayer and when he finished, he came to the child. He struck his stomach and said: O boy, who is your father? lie said: He is such shepherd. So they turned towards Juraij, kissed him and touched him (for seeking blessing) and said: We are prepared to construct your temple with gold. He said. No, just rebuild it with mud as it had been, and they did that.
sahih muslim.

and here comes the confusion does we obey our parents in everything but shirk " not to believe in allah " the answer is no there is limits for this obey.

1- you have to obey your parents only if it doesnt lead to disobey allah and rasulloh. like if your parents order you not to pray you have to not to listen to them if one of your parents order you to not to wear scarf then dont listen to them because its against allah wa rasulloh.
Volume 9, Book 91, Number 363:

Narrated Ali:

The Prophet , sent an army and appointed some man their commander The man made a fire and then said (to the soldiers), "Enter it." Some of them intended to enter it while some others said, 'We have run away from it (i.e., embraced Islam to save ourselves from the 'fire')." They mentioned that to the Prophet, and he said about people who had intended to enter the fire. ''If they had entered it, they would have remained In it till the Day of Resurrection.'' Then he said to others, "No obedience for evil deeds, obedience is required only in what is good ."
sahih bukhari.

Volume 9, Book 89, Number 258:
Narrated 'Abdullah:
The Prophet said, "A Muslim has to listen to and obey (the order of his ruler) whether he likes it or not, as long as his orders involve not one in disobedience (to Allah),
sahih bukhari.

2- you must have the ability to do that thing which your parents order you to do. like if they have an overload orders which u cant carry out then dont obey them .
Volume 9, Book 92, Number 391:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "Leave me as I leave you) for the people who were before you were ruined because of their questions and their differences over their prophets. So, if I forbid you to do something, then keep away from it. And if I order you to do something, then do of it as much as you can."
sahih bukhari.

in last hadith our prophet muhamed said if i order you something then do as much as you can , and the prophet Muhamed BPUH in no1 in heart after Allah SWTA then how about your parents .

then in last i hope allah forgive me if i have any mistaks and i hope everyone get benefits from this.
Wassalam alikum.
Happy Ramadan