Polygany in Texas

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
SAN ANGELO, Texas - A court hearing to decide the fate of the 416 children swept up in a raid on a West Texas polygamist sect descended into farce Thursday, with hundreds of lawyers in two packed buildings shouting objections and the judge struggling to maintain order.

The case — clearly one of the biggest, most convoluted child-custody hearings in U.S. history — presented an extraordinary spectacle: big-city lawyers in suits and mothers in 19th-century, pioneer-style dresses, all packed into a courtroom and a nearby auditorium connected by video.

At issue was an attempt by the state of Texas to strip the parents of custody and place the children in foster homes because of evidence they were being physically and sexually abused by the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a renegade Mormon splinter group suspected of forcing underage girls into marriage with older men.

Additional details on life at the ranch began to emerge as child welfare investigator Angie Voss testified.

She said that if one of the men fell out of favor with the FLDS, his wives and children would be reassigned to other men. The children would then identify the new man as their father. Voss said that contributed to the problem of identifying children's family links and their ages
The sect came to West Texas in 2003, relocating some members from the church's traditional home along the Utah-Arizona state line. Its prophet and spiritual leader, Warren Jeffs, is in prison for forcing an underage girl into marriage in Utah.

Voss testified that through their interviews with girls at the ranch, investigators believed there was a pattern of underage girls given in marriage to older men.

Voss said that if the prophet told the girl to marry or to lie the girl would do as instructed.

"If the prophet told her to lie she would because the prophet received all his messages from the Heavenly Father," Voss said.

Children living in coliseum
The children, who are being kept in a domed coliseum in San Angelo, range in age from 6 months to 17 years. Roughly 100 of them are under 4.

FLDS members deny children were abused and say the state is persecuting them for their faith.

The judge must weigh the allegations of abuse and also decide whether it is in the children's best interest to be placed into mainstream society after they have been told all their lives that the outside world is hostile and immoral.

If the judge gives the state permanent custody of the children, the Texas child services agency will face the enormous task of finding suitable homes. It will also have to decipher brother-sister relationships so that it can try to preserve them.

Over the past two weeks, the agency has relied on volunteers to help feed the children, do their laundry and provide crafts and games for them.

Gov. Rick Perry would not say how much the case is costing the state, but said: "Does the state of Texas have the resources? Absolutely we do."

full story http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24178574/

ja_tu_miluju

i read about this, the polygamy thing is what upsets my mother most about Islam, I try to make her understand that first of all, Islam only allows 4 wives, and it has to be for very good reasons...on top of the fact that not every Muslim man takes more than one wife..I've been told not many Muslim men practice this right at all...

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

The poygyny practiced among that cult is very different from the polygyny permissible in Islam. Here are a few differences:

1. The FLDS has no limitation on the number wives, many of the men cannot recall the names of their children because they will have a surplus of 50+ children.

2. A female can only be married in Islam if she agrees/desires it, whereas the FLDS force young girls into marriage without their permission and/or agreeement.

3. If the women do not submit completely to their husband in the FLDS they believe their husband can prevent their entrance into heaven, preisthood holders (the husbands) are believed ot become gods in the afterlife.

4. In Islam the husband can only take more than one wife is he can support them financially, psychologically and be completely fair with his wives. The FLDS take advantage of America's welfare by having the women register as "single moms" and this receive food and money to support their child. The FLDS say this isn't wrong because our government is an evil entity and they are just "bleeding the beast."

5, Women have rights in Islam, this includes rights of inheritance, property, and divorce. IN the FLDS the women have no rights and are considered lesser beings. If a husband is displeased he can turn his wife out on the street or worse, he will have his wife "reassigned" to another man...as if she is an animal for trade. :astag:

This religion is based of an delusional alcoholic that fancied himself a modern day prophet. He wrote an addition to the Chrisitan bible that stated people of color were souls that battled against God and thus were marked as sinners. But the most seriously disturbing belief that the FLDS and the LDS believe is that one can become a god in their heavenly life. They believe that God was a human as well before becoming a god and making billions of spirits babies with his many wives to populate the earth.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Musulmanin

:salam2:

Sarah (ShyHijabi) jazakallah khair for clarifing, I was waiting for someone to discuss this topic and I'm not knowledgable about this sect so did not want to make any comments or draw any conclusions.

:wasalam:

cmelbouzaidi

Thank you for an excellent response. When Muslims are under attack and our enemies in the media are trying to imply we have wharped practises, I loved the way you detailed the rules (or lack thereof) in the LDS marriage in comparison to the Qur'anic rules on Islamic marriage. Jazak Allahu Khair, I find this very useful for my discussions with those who do not understand Islam yet.

ja_tu_miluju

Salaam,

The poygyny practiced among that cult is very different from the polygyny permissible in Islam. Here are a few differences:

1. The FLDS has no limitation on the number wives, many of the men cannot recall the names of their children because they will have a surplus of 50+ children.

2. A female can only be married in Islam if she agrees/desires it, whereas the FLDS force young girls into marriage without their permission and/or agreeement.

3. If the women do not submit completely to their husband in the FLDS they believe their husband can prevent their entrance into heaven, preisthood holders (the husbands) are believed ot become gods in the afterlife.

4. In Islam the husband can only take more than one wife is he can support them financially, psychologically and be completely fair with his wives. The FLDS take advantage of America's welfare by having the women register as "single moms" and this receive food and money to support their child. The FLDS say this isn't wrong because our government is an evil entity and they are just "bleeding the beast."

5, Women have rights in Islam, this includes rights of inheritance, property, and divorce. IN the FLDS the women have no rights and are considered lesser beings. If a husband is displeased he can turn his wife out on the street or worse, he will have his wife "reassigned" to another man...as if she is an animal for trade. :astag:

This religion is based of an delusional alcoholic that fancied himself a modern day prophet. He wrote an addition to the Chrisitan bible that stated people of color were souls that battled against God and thus were marked as sinners. But the most seriously disturbing belief that the FLDS and the LDS believe is that one can become a god in their heavenly life. They believe that God was a human as well before becoming a god and making billions of spirits babies with his many wives to populate the earth.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

yes I know they are different, my point was that my mother doesn't know, and informed me that she doesn't really care about the differences. She says its all the same to her. Sad.

Ibn_Syena

Peace...
Salaam,

Wasalaam

~Sarah

:salam2:
As Salamu Alekum sister

Jazaky Allah khayran for your post, it's really great ma shaa' Allah:ma:
But, this's really awful... why'd anybody follow such teachings? I mean what keeps them (these women) from rejecting it and having a good life? I'm really thankful for Allah that he made me Muslim... Alhamdu Lellah

Wassalam Alekum

Muhammad

ShyHijabi

But, this's really awful... why'd anybody follow such teachings? I mean what keeps them (these women) from rejecting it and having a good life?

Salaam,

Well if you brainwash someone from birth with these teachings then they will believe no matter what. These women are also very isolated, no tv, no computers, their compounds tend to be miles from what we would term "civilization." This is not the first time this cult has been raided and arrests made. The men were arrested and served time and as soon as they were free their wives went back to them.

The women are only educated at a minimum level so even for the few that escape they enter a world alien to anything they've experienced. They are unskilled for the modern world and just barely literate. Some have escaped but they face very hard lives adjusting and some even return to the only life they understand.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Ibn_Syena

Peace...
Salaam,

Well if you brainwash someone from birth with these teachings then they will believe no matter what. These women are also very isolated, no tv, no computers, their compounds tend to be miles from what we would term "civilization." This is not the first time this cult has been raided and arrests made. The men were arrested and served time and as soon as they were free their wives went back to them.

The women are only educated at a minimum level so even for the few that escape they enter a world alien to anything they've experienced. They are unskilled for the modern world and just barely literate. Some have escaped but they face very hard lives adjusting and some even return to the only life they understand.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Subhana Allah, this just remind me of how some people can be so silly and brainless up to praying stony idols like those kuffar of Makkah and even claiming that they (the idols) created them!, there's that nice story of Caliphate Umar ibn Al Khattab at the time of jahelyah (before becoming muslim) when he used to make idol of pressed dates and whorship it, but whenever he felt hungary, he didn't hesitate in eating it! He was asked once by the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) "oh Umar, how could you do that (worshiping stone and dates, etc..) at jahelya? didn't you people have brains?" He replied "sure we had brains, but we didn't have the light of guidance" [NB: I'm not sure it's an authentic Hadith]
But indeed you got the point, that's all what they could know. It was our duty to convey to them the message of Islam and try to save them.. may Allah have mercy on us (and them!) and not to punish us for our delinqency Ameen

Thank you for your reply
Wassalam Alekum

Muahammad