Prayer timings in places where there is long days and nights?

faith

Assalamu Allikum Brothers and Sisters

I am quite curious about how people decide the prayer timings in places where there is long days and nights. As for Muslims our prayer timings are guided by the sun. In certain areas of the world it is impossible to do so ..plz this is daunting me for sometime could any one shed some light !!!

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:wasalam:
I asked this question a while ago, and the answer I got was to look for a Salat timetable.

May I ask what country you live in (all I need to know is the country, and I won't stalk you :p)

Kayote

I am quite curious about how people decide the prayer timings in places where there is long days and nights. As for Muslims our prayer timings are guided by the sun. In certain areas of the world it is impossible to do so ..plz this is daunting me for sometime could any one shed some light !!!

:salam2:

I think I know where you are coming from...

Ive thought about it a lot as well (as these days in London, prayer time is very short) & have wondered what people would do if they were to go to North Pole or South Pole (where days can go on for months) & after thinking about it a lot, what made sense to me is that first of all, these places are inhabitable for humans. Yes, some (very daring!) do go on expeditions but if you review their life style, its only temporary, they cannot grow food, or even light fire in most of the areas.

Allah has balaced this whole universe. Just like we cannot survive in the desert, similarly we cannot survive in the north & south poles. When we have the rest of the earth available to us, why inhabit the poles, which is not to say, we should not explore but rather if a more comfortable place is available where we can pay more attention to Allah & take care of our worldly duties, then why not choose that?

The above is my own thinking on this matter & someone will surely have a more precise & 'proper' answer to this question.

Allah knows best.

dna1987

Muslim Guy

In some parts of the world, the days can be very long, and the nights very short. But if it still fits into a 24 hour scale, then the salat time would be split up accordingly.

Example, about 5 years ago, at the bottom of the South Island of NZ, iftar woulda take place at 9pm, and suhoor/sehri between 3 and 4 am. The days were very long, and very hard (it was the summer, so sometimes it would get quite hot). Fasting still took place in the sunlight ours.

I asked my dad the question about "extremely long days/north pole", and my dad said that people in places like those follow the same salat time as the closest country or region to them that can follow the fasting/salat times properly.

faith

I asked this question a while ago, and the answer I got was to look for a Salat timetable.

May I ask what country you live in (all I need to know is the country, and I won't stalk you :p)

Brother I live in London.Don't know how that is going to help to answer my Q?

faith

:salam2:

I think I know where you are coming from...

Ive thought about it a lot as well (as these days in London, prayer time is very short) & have wondered what people would do if they were to go to North Pole or South Pole (where days can go on for months) & after thinking about it a lot, what made sense to me is that first of all, these places are inhabitable for humans. Yes, some (very daring!) do go on expeditions but if you review their life style, its only temporary, they cannot grow food, or even light fire in most of the areas.

Allah has balaced this whole universe. Just like we cannot survive in the desert, similarly we cannot survive in the north & south poles. When we have the rest of the earth available to us, why inhabit the poles, which is not to say, we should not explore but rather if a more comfortable place is available where we can pay more attention to Allah & take care of our worldly duties, then why not choose that?

The above is my own thinking on this matter & someone will surely have a more precise & 'proper' answer to this question.

Allah knows best.

I am still not satisfied.Only hope is Islam have an answer for everything....so someone will come with an ingenious answer oneday.

Wasalam

Taalibah

assalamu alaikum brother

prayer times as we know are related to the sun however in places such as Norway etc were they hav darkness for six months and light for six months (meaning in the summer the sun never sets and in the winter the sun never rises).in places like this the namaz times are worked out with the time of day.for example fajr is read in the early morning, zuhar in the afternoon, asr in the late afternoon,maghrib early evening and easha at night. but in these places the ulama would work out the namaz times. i hope this has helped you wallahu alam

Ahmedkaafi

Aslamau alaykum

Dear Faith

I have been living in North pole from 2000 to 2005, we have got alot of problems about contorling salat time and Ramdan Months the bigest problems that we had was the months of November,December and jan becouse totaly not sun in the summer time also we have same problems from julay And August months we had only sun 24 hrs but Alhamdulilaah we got sulition and we just follwed the nearst place those have day and night i remember sevaral days we maked Ramadan only four hrs,by the way we pray the place that no body pray before us and we make fast(Ramdan)the place that no badies maked before Alhamdulilaah there was several persons those have taken shahadah and they r good muslims know, ALHAMDULILAAH

Dear faith when we r in eur or in North America we pary with a time not with sun and if u r like where i was just follow the nearst place which have day and night.
Wabilahi tofiq

talibulislam

according to hadith

in time of prophet muhammad (saw) he was talking to sahabas about fitnah of dajjal,how hes gona come b4 day of judgment,how he looks,which side he is going to appear,how he will cover the whole world in 40 days & nights,his first day is going to b as long as forty weeks or forty days,second days=one week & rest of the days b regular but subhanaallah the imaan of sahabh was so strong 4 akira that, first question they ask,ya rasool allah how we going to pray in the first day of his appearence,mean timing,prophet muhammad (saw) said accroding to regular day timing.
thats what came in my mind cuz i heard the whole lecture about his fitnah,hopefully u understand this,since am not a alim u can discuss with some one better knowledge able person,also u have timing 4 all the cities so easy way is to follow the closest city or countery.
jazak allah khair