Question: Praying in 2 different spots?

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Asalaamu Alikkum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

I hope everybody is in the best of health and iman, of not then there is something seriously wrong with you. :p

Some brothers at the masjid where I pray usually pray at different spots. What I mean is that say the four rakah sunnah before dhur, they will pray two rakah's in sport then they move to another spot to pray the other remaining two rakah's. So I asked one brother why he does this and he replied that it was sunnah to do so.

My question therefore is "is it sunnah to pray in different spots?" If so can you please give me a hadith where the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) did this.

Thank you.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

The sunnah is to pray your sunnah with separation to your fardh. This can be done by speaking, doing tasbeeh etc, or by moving place.

Changing places to pray the Sunnah
Question: Has any proof been reported for changing one's place in order to perform the Sunnah following the obligatory prayer?

Response: Yes, it has been reported in the hadeeth of Mu'aawiyah that he said:
((The Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) ordered us not to join one prayer with another prayer without leaving or speaking (in between).)), [Transmitted by Muslim and Abu Daawood]
So the scholars have understood from this that a gap must be made between the obligatory and the Sunnah - either by speaking or by changing one's place.
Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
Fataawa Islaamiyyah - Volume 1, Page 346

Umar ibn 'Ata bin Abi Al-Khuwar narrated that Nafi bin Jubair sent him to As-Sa'ib bin Yazid,the maternal nephew of Namir, asking him regarding something Mu'awiyah had seen him do in the prayer. He said: " I prayed Jum'uah with Mu'awiyah in his enclosure and when he finished, I stood up in my place and prayed. When he went inside he sent for me and said" Do not repeat what you have just done. If you pray Jum'uah don't join it with another prayer until you speak or exit the masjid. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) ordered us to separate between prayers. One prayer mustn't be joined with another until you speak or exit.Collected by Muslim (883)

and Imaam an-Nawawee explains this saying:

"In this hadeeth there is evidence for what the scholars say [i.e.] that it is preferred to pray the optional prayers in another place than where one prayed their obligatory prayer. And the best place for that is the house, but any other place inside the masjid is still valid. "[Taken from Saheeh Muslim The book of Jumu'ah p. 409-410]

Shaikhul Islam Ibn Taymiyyah said:

"'The Sunnah is to separate between performing the obligatory and optional Salat in Jumu'ah Salat and other Salawaat as was narrated in the "Sahih" that he (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) prohibited that any [obligatory] Salat be followed immediately by [optional] one; one should separate between them with speech or changing one's place'"

Taken from: The Clarified Ruling of Mistakes Done in Salat -- Mashoor Hasan Aal Salmaan

wasalam