Praying I'sha late..

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I hope this post reaches beloved sisters and respectful brothers in the best of health and imann always inshaAllah

I have one question. What is the ruling if one's used to sleep first and then wake up early in the morning to pray I'sha as his intention is so that he can continue doing Qiyamulail after his I'sha prayer. Because if he usually pray I'sha shortly after the azan and goes to sleep, then he is most likely not going to wake up for Qiyam and instead will make it for Subuh(fajr prayer) only.

I remember in one hadeeth regarding three of the most good deeds are 1.praying in the early hour (shortly after the azan) 2.being respect to your parents 3.jihad fi Sabilillah

Correct me if I'm wrong and thank you for your time.

Jazakallahu khair wa barakallahufikum

Waalaykummusalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

abu'muhammad

:salam2:

the fatwa below states that it is not allowed to delay the isha salat. i think that answers your question, inshaallah.

Praise be to Allaah.

Isha prayer must be performed before midnight, and it is not permissible to delay it until midnight, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The time of ‘Isha’ is until midnight” (narrated by Muslim, al-Masaajid wa Mawaadi’ al-Salaah, 964). So you have to pray it before midnight, based on the length of the night, because the night may be longer or shorter, so the guideline is how many hours the night lasts. If the night is ten hours long, then it is not permissible to delay it until the end of the fifth hour. The best way it to pray it in the first third of the night. If a person prays it at the beginning of the time for ‘Isha, that is OK, but if he delays it a little while, that is preferable, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to recommend delaying ‘Isha’ prayer for a little while. But if someone prays it at the beginning of its time, after the twilight – the reddish afterglow along the horizon – has vanished, there is nothing wrong with that. And Allaah knows best.

Majmoo’ah Fataawa al-Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, 10/386

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Ok shukran jazilan for the clarification.

So what i gathered is that it is not permissible to pray I'sha along with Qiyamulail. And about delaying a little while, does it mean that it is ok if we dont pray as soon as the azan of I'sha but must make sure that we pray before midnight?

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Suppose your maghrib azan is at 6pm. And Fajr azan is at 6am. That makes the night 12 hours long. Midnight will be 12 / 2 = 6 hours long. Therefore, 6 hours after Maghrib Azaan will be midnight.

And you must pray Isha before this midnight time. Midnight is not always 12:00. In this case, it is the mid point between maghrib and fajr. :)

So it is okay to delay Isha a little after the azan, but pray before midnight. I hope it makes sense.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Suppose your maghrib azan is at 6pm. And Fajr azan is at 6am. That makes the night 12 hours long. Midnight will be 12 / 2 = 6 hours long. Therefore, 6 hours after Maghrib Azaan will be midnight.

And you must pray Isha before this midnight time. Midnight is not always 12:00. In this case, it is the mid point between maghrib and fajr. :)

So it is okay to delay Isha a little after the azan, but pray before midnight. I hope it makes sense.

Yes it does make sense :) Thanks for the clarification. May Allah bless you and all those who corrected things that sometimes due to our ignorance we commit it without realising the ruling behind it.

Jazakallahu khair wa barakallahu fiki ukhti

abu'muhammad

Ok shukran jazilan for the clarification.

So what i gathered is that it is not permissible to pray I'sha along with Qiyamulail. And about delaying a little while, does it mean that it is ok if we dont pray as soon as the azan of I'sha but must make sure that we pray before midnight?

Yes, you are right !

We need to calculate the time, or have time table of masjid at which muezzin says azaan, during confusion as time differs with seasons.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamua`alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

I made this thread over two years ago and Allaah lead me to a new `ilm today related to it.

the fatwa below states that it is not allowed to delay the isha salat. i think that answers your question, inshaallah.

Praise be to Allaah.

Isha prayer must be performed before midnight, and it is not permissible to delay it until midnight, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The time of ‘Isha’ is until midnight” (narrated by Muslim, al-Masaajid wa Mawaadi’ al-Salaah, 964). So you have to pray it before midnight, based on the length of the night, because the night may be longer or shorter, so the guideline is how many hours the night lasts. If the night is ten hours long, then it is not permissible to delay it until the end of the fifth hour. The best way it to pray it in the first third of the night. If a person prays it at the beginning of the time for ‘Isha, that is OK, but if he delays it a little while, that is preferable, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to recommend delaying ‘Isha’ prayer for a little while. But if someone prays it at the beginning of its time, after the twilight – the reddish afterglow along the horizon – has vanished, there is nothing wrong with that. And Allaah knows best.

Majmoo’ah Fataawa al-Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, 10/386

I stumbled upon: Delaying prayer within its time period [from Multaqa Ahlal Hadeeth]

And he used to delay the 'Isha prayer as well:

Quote:
Narrated Abu Al-Minhal: Abu Barza said, "The Prophet used to offer the Fajr (prayer) when one could recognize the person sitting by him (after the prayer) and he used to recite between 60 to 100 Ayat (verses) of the Qur'an. He used to offer the Zuhr prayer as soon as the sun declined (at noon) and the 'asr at a time when a man might go and return from the farthest place in Medina and find the sun still hot. (The sub-narrator forgot what was said about the Maghrib). He did not mind delaying the 'Isha prayer to one third of the night or the middle of the night." (Sahih al-Bukhari Book #10, Hadith #516)

Without a doubt, it is better to pray the prayers at their early times, but sometimes it is difficult on us to pray at the earliest time and alhamdulillah Allah سبحانه وتعلى has give us a wide enough window to be able to conduct the prayers.

that had lead me to: Delaying prayer [from IslamQA]

It is better to do the prayer at the beginning of its time, except for ‘Isha’ prayer and Zuhr prayer when it is very hot; in these cases it is better to do them at the end of their allotted times.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

It is better to do the prayer at the time required in sharee’ah. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, answering the one who asked him which deed is most beloved to Allaah, “Prayer done on time.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 527; Muslim, 85. He did not say, prayer at the beginning of its time. That is because the prayers include some which it is Sunnah to pray sooner and some which it is Sunnah to pray later. It is Sunnah to pray ‘Isha’ later, after one-third of the night has passed. Hence if a woman is at home and asks which is better for me, to pray ‘Isha’ when I hear the adhaan or to delay it until one-third of the night has passed? We say, it is better to delay it until one-third of the night has passed, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) delayed one night until they said, “O Messenger of Allaah, the women and children have fallen asleep,” so he went out and led them in prayer, and said, “This would be its time, were that not too difficult for my ummah.” So if a woman is in her house, it is better for her to delay it.

Similarly, if it so happens that some men are travelling, and they ask whether they should pray ‘Isha’ sooner or later, we would tell them that it is better for them to delay it.

Similarly if a group goes out for a trip and the time for ‘Isha’ comes, is it better for them to pray ‘Isha’ sooner or later? We say that it is better for them to delay it if that will not cause them any hardship.

In the case of the other prayers it is better to pray them sooner unless there is a reason for doing otherwise. So Fajr should be prayed sooner, Zuhr should be prayed sooner, ‘Asr should be prayed sooner and Maghrib should be prayed sooner, unless there is a reason for doing otherwise.

Thus, the statement of Bro Abu Muhammad that it is not permissible to delay the Isha prayer isn't in harmony with the two latter findings that I quoted above. Both the brother's and my findings, however, are from two great scholars.

May this post helps others too, inshaa Allaahu.

Wa`alaykum as-salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

I made this thread over two years ago and Allaah lead me to a new `ilm today related to it.

I stumbled upon: Delaying prayer within its time period [from Multaqa Ahlal Hadeeth]

Thus, the statement of Bro Abu Muhammad that it is not permissible to delay the Isha prayer isn't in harmony with the two latter findings that I quoted above. Both the brother's and my findings, however, are from two great scholars.

Wasalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh,

JazaakAllaahu khayraa. I had a mind of searching this matter because, my `Ishaa usually gets delayed and then I'm racing against time and laziness to be on my praying mat before 12:15 a.m.

I've learned quite a lot at multaqa and from brother Harris Hammam's brief visit at TTI. That lot is pretty simple, fiqhi issues has no rigid boundaries. There is no "strictly right" and "strictly wrong" practice in the issues where the four imaams have given their verdicts.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

JazakAllahu Khayr for sharing, sis. Yes, Isha prayer must be completed before midnight.... and its okay to delay it a little bit after the athan, but *must* be finished by the middle of the night (mid-point between maghrib and fajr time.) Look at my post above sis, from a couple years ago.. I tried to explain this part then too...

strive-may-i

Assalaamu Alaikum,

I've learned quite a lot at multaqa and from brother Harris Hammam's brief visit at TTI. That lot is pretty simple, fiqhi issues has no rigid boundaries. There is no "strictly right" and "strictly wrong" practice in the issues where the four imaams have given their verdicts.
Usually people from regions where two or madhabs are practiced, are aware of these difference of viewpoints, in matters where a strict line has not been drawn. It needs both exposure and acceptance.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال

JazakAllahu Khayr for sharing, sis. Yes, Isha prayer must be completed before midnight.... and its okay to delay it a little bit after the athan, but *must* be finished by the middle of the night (mid-point between maghrib and fajr time.) Look at my post above sis, from a couple years ago.. I tried to explain this part then too...

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

Yes, Sister Tabassum. Back then I understood both your explanation and the brother after I re-asked my question at post #3.

I guessed when I looked at one of the statement from IslamQA that I quoted earlier, I thought it contradict with the time range allowed to pray I'sha:

It is better to do the prayer at the beginning of its time, except for ‘Isha’ prayer and Zuhr prayer when it is very hot; in these cases it is better to do them at the end of their allotted times.

and also, I brought up this thread to clarify that it's incorrect to say "it is not allowed to delay the isha salat" because it is actually Sunnah to delay in the time range allowed preferably after one third of the night has passed but before midnight.

Times of the five daily prayers

Jazaakum Allaahu khaayraa to everyone who has contributed.

:wasalam:

mezeren

a different opinion...

Please read the fatwa below. it simply says that i'sha prayer must be performed before midnight. And by midnight it claims that it is when it gets pitch dark and that means to day the time of i'sha adhan is actually is the last time for the i'sha prayer. i, personally, have not made up my mind on the issue but it is worth considering.

Allah knows best.

Prayer Times In Qur’an

Contrary to what is commonly believed, the day precedes the night. The Glorified Allah (s.w.t.) commands:

لَا الشَّمْسُ يَنبَغِي لَهَا أَن تُدْرِكَ الْقَمَرَ وَلَا اللَّيْلُ سَابِقُ النَّهَارِ وَكُلٌّ فِي فَلَكٍ يَسْبَحُونَ

“It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor does the night outstrip the day. They float each in an orbit.” (Ya-Sin 36:40)

Since the night may not outstrip the day, the new day starts with the rise of sun. That is why the first prayer in two verses declaring the times of obligatory (fardh) prayers is the noon prayer.

وَأَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ طَرَفَيِ النَّهَارِ وَزُلَفًا مِنَ اللَّيْلِ إِنَّ الْحَسَنَاتِ يُذْهِبْنَ السَّيِّئَاتِ ذَلِكَ ذِكْرَى لِلذَّاكِرِينَ

“And keep up prayer in the two parts (taraf) of the day and in the close-parts (zulaf) of the night; surely good deeds take away evil deeds; this is a reminder to the mindful.” (Hood 11:114)

Taraf (طرف), means each of the parts of a thing (2). “Two parts of the day” means its two parts. As it could be seen in the following verse, the first part for praying is the noon time when the sun moves to the west. The second is the time for afternoon (‘asr) prayer. These two times do exist in all cultures.

The texts of the verse contains the word zulaf (زلف), the plural form of zulfa (زلفة), which has the meaning of “closeness”. In Arabic, a plural expression states for at least three. The expression “close parts of the night” “زُلَفًا مِّنَ اللَّيْل” in the verse designates at least three times of the night that are close to the daytime. These are the sunset (maghreb), nightfall (ishaa’) and dawn (fajr) prayers, which bear the signs of the daytime.

The night comprises of three parts; the first is the time for the sunset and nightfall prayers. These start with the sunset, lasting till the falling of darkness (ghasaq al-layl). The second part is the time for midnight prayer (tahajjud), covering the period from the ghasaq al-layl to the break of dawn. This is called half of the night (nisf al-layl) (نصف الليل) or the middle of the night (wasat al-layl) (وسط الليل). The third part is the time for the dawn (fajr) prayer, which starts with the onset of break of dawn. The prohibitions begin for the fasting person from this moment onwards. The dawn prayer could be performed until the sunrise.

The sunset (maghreb) prayer could be performed from the sunset until the redness on the west horizon disappears. From then on is the time for nightfall (ishaa’) prayer. It continues until the whiteness on the west horizon disappears and the sky becomes pitch-dark. When the sky is pitch-dark, the first part of the night that is close to the daytime ends.

Abdullah Bin Omar said: One night we sat down to wait the Prophet (p.b.u.h) of Allah for nightfall (ishaa’) pray. He came as the third of the night was passing by, or afterwards. I did not know whether he was busy. He said: “Are you waiting for this prayer?” I would have lead my community pray at this hour if it had not been difficult for them.” Then he ordered the caller for prayer (muezzin) to call for prayer (3).

If the nightfall prayer would not be performed before the darkness falls, those who come to the mosque will find it difficult to return to their houses.

The second verse concerning the issue is the following :

أَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ لِدُلُوكِ الشَّمْسِ إِلَى غَسَقِ اللَّيْلِ وَقُرْآَنَ الْفَجْرِ إِنَّ قُرْآَنَ الْفجْرِ كَانَ مَشْهُودًا

“Perform the prayers at the sun’s decline till the darkness of the night, and during the intensification of the (lights of) dawn; for the intensification of the (lights of) dawn is visible”. (Al-Isra / The Night Journey 17:78)

According to this verse, the first prayer is the noon prayer, time of which starts as the sun declines towards west, namely when the sun passes through the meridian of our location. Since the previous verse obliges to perform two prayers before sunset, it follows that one more prayer is required after the noon prayer. This is the afternoon (‘asr) prayer between noon and sunset prayers. Since the sign that separates noon prayer from afternoon prayer is not specified clearly in Quran, our Prophet (p.b.u.h) had sometimes performed these two prayers successively by combining them.

The expression “till the darkness of the night” in the verse indicates the time from sunset to the pitch-darkness after complete disappearance of the light on the west horizon. This is the latest time for performing nightfall prayer, as mentioned above. The time of the sunset prayer is before it. Since the sign that separates sunset prayer from nightfall prayer is not mentioned in Quran, our Prophet (p.b.u.h) occasionally combined these two prayers.

According to the leading scholars of four fiqh schools, the time for nightfall prayer lasts until the darkness. Serahsi, a Hanafi scholar, says: “Imam Muhammad wrote in al-Kitab that the time for nightfall prayer is until midnight” (4).

The midnight referred to here is the period from pitch-darkness of the sky till the break of dawn.

Imam Shafi states : “The latest time for nightfall prayer is until one third of the night passes. The time for this prayer will elapse after this part of the night elapses. Neither of the narrations quoted from the Prophet, peace be upon him, demonstrates anything other than the fact that the time elapses after that period.

According to the narration by his son, Abu’l Fadhl, Ahmad Ibn Hanbal said: “The time for the nightfall prayer starts when the sunset flow disappears. The latest time is one third of the night for some, and the midnight for others.

This opinion is identical with the foregoing ones. However, as the standpoint that the day starts with the break of dawn became widespread among our scholars, the concept of “three parts of the night” had become vague.

Ibn al-Qasim narrates the following: “We asked Imam Malik, ‘(Why do)they delay the prayer until one third of the night(?)’. Fiercely condemning, he as if said: ‘They ought to pray in the manner (other) people do.’ He was as if indulging what people did. They perform the nightfall prayer a little sooner than the disappearance of red dawn. He said: ‘Neither the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, nor Abu Bakr or Omar had delayed so much.’”

Subsequent scholars of these schools delayed the time for nightfall prayer until the dawn prayer, without relying on any evidence. Yet, for the people will sleep and rest during the time between nightfall prayer and dawn prayer, none should be disturbed during this period. Allah (SWT) says:

“Oh you who believe! Let those whom your right hands possess, and the (children) among you who have not come of age ask your permission (before they come to your presence), on three occasions: before dawn prayer; the while you take off your clothes for the noonday heat; and after the nightfall prayer: these are your three times of undress: outside those times it is not wrong for you or for them to move about attending to each other: Thus does Allah make clear the signs to you: for Allah is full of knowledge and rules rights. But when the children among you come of age, let them (also) ask for permission, as do those senior to them (in age): Thus does Allah make clear His signs to you: for Allah is full of knowledge and rules right.” (An-Noor/ The Light 24:58-59).

Every night our Prophet (p.b.u.h) used to wake up after a while of sleep, and perform the midnight prayer (tahajjud). Because Allah (SWT) ordered him to do this:

وَمِنَ اللَّيْلِ فَتَهَجَّدْ بِهِ نَافِلَةً لَّكَ عَسَى أَن يَبْعَثَكَ رَبُّكَ مَقَامًا مَّحْمُودًا

“And wake up for prayer in some part of the night as an additional obligation for you: It may be that your Lord will raise you to a station of praise and glory! “ (Al-Isra/ The Night Journey 17:79)

This prayer is optional for any Muslim. Our Prophet is narrated to say:

أَفْضَلُ اَلصَّلَاةِ بَعْدَ اَلْفَرِيضَةِ صَلَاةُ اَللَّيْلِ

“The most virtuous prayer after the obligatory prayers (fardh) is the midnight (tahajjud) prayer” (8)

The time for dawn prayer starts with a clear scene that appears as the dawn breaks and the lights on the horizon intensify. It is understood at that while that the daytime is approaching. This is the third zulfa. It lasts till the sun rises.

Verse 78 of Surat al-Isra (The Night Journey) mentions the time of dawn prayers with the expression “qur’an al-fajr”. Qur’an (قرآن), in Arabic, means “gathering and accumulation” (9). “Qara’tu al-shay’a qur’aanan” قَرَأتُ الشيء قرآنا means “I gathered something” and “I added one to another”; “Qara’tu al-kitaaba qiraatan wa qur’aanan” قرأت الكتاب قراءة وقرآنا means “I have read the book”. Because reading is the act of adding words one another. The name Qur’an given to the last book is due to its nature of gathering all verses that have been revealed. The accumulation in the dawn is the collection of lights in different colors and tones coming from the sun. Since the accumulation lasts until the sunrise, this whole period is the time for a single prayer.

In the sayings (hadeeth) of our Prohpet (p.b.u.h), the first prayer is the noon prayer, and the last one is the dawn prayer. The Messenger of Allah, as narrated by Ibn Abbas, said on the prayer times:

“Jibreel led me in prayer twice near the Ka’be. The first time, we offered the noon prayer (dhuhr) when the shadow was like the thong of a shoe. Then, we offered the afternoon prayer (asr) when the shadow of everything was equal to it, and sunset prayer (maghrib) after sunset when the fasting man breaks his fast, and nightfall (ishaa’) prayer when the twilight (the redness on the west horizon) disappeared, and the dawn prayer (fajr) when one who fasts is forbidden food and drink. The second time, we offerred noon prayer when the shadow of everything was like it in length at the time of afternoon prayer on the previous day. Then we offered the afternoon prayer when the shadow of everything was twice as long. We prayed sunset prayer at the same time as the previous day; we prayed nightfall prayer while one-third of the night was passing (heena dhahaba thuluth al-leyli) (حِينَ ذَهَبَ ثُلُثُ اللَّيْلِ) and dawn prayer when the earth was well-lit. Then Jibreel turned to me and said; “0 Muhammad! This was the time observed by Prophets (p.b.u.t) before you, and the time of prayers is between these two times.” (10) .

Prof. Dr. Abdulaziz BAYINDIR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] The issue of orbits of night and day needs to be explained by the relevant fields of science. It is a matter of interest that the orbits of sun, moon, day and night are highlighted in the verse, while the orbit of earth is not.

[2] “Wa at’tarafu bi’t-tahreek: en-nahiyatu min nawahee wa el-taifatu min as-shay’i, wa’l jam’u atrafun” Lisan al-Arab.

[3] Abu Davud, Salat 7, Hadeeth no 420.

[4] Serahsi, Shamsuddin, al-Mabsuut, Egypt l324/1906, v. I, p. 259

[5] Shafi, Muhammad b. İdris, al-Um, Beirut 1393/1973, v. I, p. 74

[6] “Masail al-Imam Ahmad riwayatu ibnihi ebi al-Fadhl Salih” v.2 p.174

[7] Malik b. Anas (d.179 h.), el-Mudawwana, Dar’ul-kutub’il-ilmiyya, 1415 h./1994m. V. I,p. 156.

[8] Muslim, Sıyam 38, Hadeeth No (1163)

[9] Maqayis al-lugha

[10] Tirmidhi, Mawaqeet, 1

http://www.islamandquran.org/research/prayer-times-in-quran.html

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamo`Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh,

Seems like I the other opinion exists too. `Ishaa can be prayed till before fajr time, though it's preferred to pray before midnight. This is what I've got from the following thread:

http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showthread.php?t=4555&highlight=`Ishaa

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

My respected sister.

Majority of Scholars say that I'shaa "should" be prayed before mid night and they call it the permissible prefered time to pray while after that it is left for those with excuses. Nevertheless, praying at that time is correct but it is disliked for those who do not have valid excuses to delay it to that time.

The correct view that I'shaa time expires at the onset of Fajr based on the Hadeeth:"Neglecting the Salat is not when someone miss it due sleeping but it is when it is neglected until the time of the Salaat expires until the time of the next Salaat begins"

Wallahu A'lam

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم والصلاة والسلام على خير المرسلين

It is documenetd in the Sahih that Allah';s Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: "Neglecting the Salat is not when someone miss it due sleeping but it is when it is neglected until the time of the Salaat expires until the time of the next Salaat begins"

Based on this Hadeeth, scholars declared that each Salat expires only upon the entering of the next Salaat time except Fajr Salaat. The exception was made based on two Hadeeths that are documented in the Sahih books: Ibn Umar reported that Allah's Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: " As long as sun did not rise then it is the time of Salaatu Al-Fajr" and "whoever managed to pray one raka'a of Fajr before sunrise then he prayed Fajir". In addition, this is a matter of Ijma'a amongst scholars.

Ishaa, however has one hadeeth that refer to its time, which is documented in the Sahih as well, that is: "The time of Ishaa is up to midnight". However, scholars understood this Hadeeth that it refers to the preferability time while the time that comes after until Fajr is left for those who have valid excuses based on the hadeeth of ibn Umar that was previously mentioned.

Yet, one might ask why this hadeeth is not understood similarly like the Hadeeths of fajir.

The answer is because the following:

1. Fajr time has Ijmaa on it whereas Ishaa has not

2. It was reported in authentic Hadeeth that Allah's Messenger said exact word of the Hadeeth "Ishaa time is up to misnight" but with another timing that is "third of the night".

3.It was proven that he - صلى الله علهي وسلم - prayed Ishaa at midnight time, which showed his hadeeth was indicating the preferability time since although the hadeeth said " up to one third of time" but he still prayed after that set time.

I hope this can be a clear explanation, inshallah.

Barak Allahu feekum

Time Limit For The ‘Isha’ Prayer

There is the opinion deduced from taking the apparent (dhahir) meaning of the hadith about the middle of the night that was held by Ibn Hazm, ash-Shawkani, al-Albani, and others that the permissible time is till the middle of the night, beyond which it is forbidden to delay ‘Isha’.

Consider also what the major scholars of the four madhahib said:

Ibn Qudamah al-Maqdisi (Hambali) said in ‘al-Mughni’:

“What is more befitting – if Allah Wills – is that one does not delay it past the first third of the night. If he delays it past the middle of the night, this is permissible. What is beyond this is allowed only for necessity, and its ruling is the same as praying ‘Asr in the time of necessity (in the last portion of its allotted time)…Beyond this, the time of ‘Isha’ extends till the emergence of the second (true) Fajr.”

al-Kasani (Hanafi) said in ‘Bada’i’ as-Sana’i”:

“As for the last time for ‘Isha’, it is when the true time of Fajr comes in, according to us.”

Muhammad ‘Alish (Maliki) said in ‘Manh al-Jalil’:

“And the preferred time to pray ‘Isha’ ends with the first third of the night.”

an-Nawawi (Shafi’i) said in ‘al-Majmu”:

What is preferred is to pray by the first third of the night. If this preferred time passes, we are left with the permissible time, which is till the time of the second (true) Fajr. This is the madhhab that has been narrated from ash-Shafi’i, and it is what has been clearcut from our companions, past and present.”

at-Tahawi (Hanafi) said in ‘Mushkil al-Athar’:

“So, the authenticity of these narrations has been established: that the time in which one can pray ‘Isha’ is from when the Sun sets, till the end of the night. However, this is divided into three categories:

a) from when it enters, to the first third of the night, and this is the best time in which to pray it,

b) as for what is beyond this – till the middle of the night – this is less preferable than the first choice, and

c) as for what is beyond the middle of the night, this is less preferable than the times before it.”

So, the four madhahib interpreted the relevant ahadith to mean that the time in which it is permissible to pray ‘Isha’ is till the time of Fajr, with the strong discouragement from delaying it past the first third of the night, let alone the middle of the night, unless one has a good excuse (such as illness, preoccupation with a task, etc.).

In conclusion, there is a difference of opinion as to whether the time limit is a matter of strict forbiddance, or merely one of preference. In any case, the safest thing to do is to not delay it past the middle of the night, as much as you are able.

And Allah Knows best.
http://theauthenticbase.wordpress.com/2010/02/08/time-limit-for-the-‘isha’-prayer/

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
When we were kids, we were taught that the Ishaa time expires when fajr begins. I want to see if it's a valid opinion. . .

aslam o alaikum wr wb,

same, but i think the way it was said was made people relaxed and i know some people just delay isha so much that its almost near fajr time,

JazakAllah khair for presenting the evidence from different madhab's its very interesting SubhanAllah to read all the scholars point of view
Alhumdulilah im just glad to know there is some evidence for what we were told