Praying Sunnah prayers

NewbieToIslam

Assalaam Alaikumu dear Brothers and Sisters,

I was just wondering if anybody could help me out with a little question I have. I've been told that there are sunnah prayers which are recommended to be done in addition to the fard prayers and I was just wondering how you go about this? do you make an intention say "I intend to preform 2 Rakat of Sunnah prayer..." sepeartely to the fard prayer and then pray them as you would pray a normal prayer? or do you tag them onto your fard prayer as in "I intend to offer 6 rakat in Dhuhor prayer..."?

May Allah reward you for your knowledgeable answers
Salaam

sky_012

Waleikum Salam

for instance when you read fajr alawys read rakats sunnats and then offer the 2 rakats fard and yes it is separately so you make a different intention when u start

so for all day it is good if you do

fajr : 2 sunnah and then 2 fard
zohr : 4 sunnah then 4 fard and then 2 sunnah
asar: 4 sunnah and then 4 fard
maghrib: 3 fard and then 2 sunnah
isha: 4 sunnah and then 4 fard and then 2 sunnah and then 3 witr

but i heard the most recommended sunnah and which should not be missed are the ones at fajr and the ones at maghrib please someone correct me if i'm wrong :(

:wassalam:

Globalpeace

Banned
Sunnah Prayers

Asslamo Allaikum Brothers,

Please note the Hadeeth below regarding the 12 Rakaat the that the brother has quoted, please also see the answer to the question other Ahaadeeth which quote the Sunnah before Zohar to be 2 instead of 4

Hadeeth:
A house will be built in Heaven for one who prays 12 Rak'aat in a day and evening as follows: 4 Rak'aat before and 2 after the Dhuhr Prayer, 2 after the Maghrib Prayer, 2 after the ‘Ishaa’ Prayer and 2 before the Fajr Prayer." Narrated by at-Tirmizi under No. 380. He said: The Hadith narrated by ‘Anbasah quoting Umm Habibah in this chapter is a hassan and sahih hadith. It is under No. 6362 in Sahih al-Jaami’.
Source of the Article: http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=10889&ln=eng&txt=sunnah prayer

Question:
BEFORE THE FARD PRAYER OF DHUR, DO WE PRAY 2 OR A RAKAH SUNNAH PRAYER? IS THERE A DIFFERENCE AMOUNG THR SCHOLARS?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

You must mean, is the Sunnah prayer before Zuhr two rak’ahs or four rak’ahs? Because the one rak’ah is odd-numbered, and there is no odd-numbered prayer apart from Maghrib, and the Witr prayer at night.

The answer is: it was narrated in some ahaadeeth that the Sunnah prayer before Zuhr is with one tasleem (i.e., it is two rak’ahs), as stated in the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar (narrated) in al-Saheehayn.

And in some other ahaadeeth it is narrated that it is two tasleems (i.e., four rak’ahs), as stated in the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), (narrated) in Saheeh Muslim.

So one has the choice of doing two or four rak’ahs. But some scholars suggested that if a person prays it at home it is better to pray four rak’ahs with two tasleems, and if he prays them in the mosque, he should pray two rak’ahs with one tasleem).

Shaykh Sa’d al-Humayd

:salah: :salah: :salah:

acedoc

SupraObliagtory paryers

Waleikum Salam

for instance when you read fajr alawys read rakats sunnats and then offer the 2 rakats fard and yes it is separately so you make a different intention when u start

so for all day it is good if you do

fajr : 2 sunnah and then 2 fard
zohr : 4 sunnah then 4 fard and then 2 sunnah
asar: 4 sunnah and then 4 fard
maghrib: 3 fard and then 2 sunnah
isha: 4 sunnah and then 4 fard and then 2 sunnah and then 3 witr

but i heard the most recommended sunnah and which should not be missed are the ones at fajr and the ones at maghrib please someone correct me if i'm wrong :(

:wassalam:

Asalamualaikum wa ramatullah wa barakatuh

Certainly the best way to get closer to Allah is by performing sunnah/Nawafil (supra-obligatory or "extra-credit salat).

We know that prophet (sws) told us anyone who performs 12 extra (sunnah/nawafil) each day Allah (SWY) shall build a house for him (her) in Jannah. May Allah make us among one of them. ameen. (NOTE: I am looking for exact wording of that hadith and its narration Insha Allah I will post as soon as it is available)

Usually these 12 are broken down into this:

1. FAJR (2):Two rakkah (BEFORE fajr) There is NO paryer after fajr since until the sun is wel above its rising position muslism are prohibited to perform any additiona prayers. But of course, there is TWO (soem say 4) rakkahSalat Al-Duha (not to be confused with Duhr) which can be prayed AFTER RUN Rise (about 15-120minutes after that is after sun-rise). Some of my Paki bros/sis also call that Salat Al Duha (Chast paryer.... thsi wording to best of MY knowledge is not found in Hadith)

2.DUHR (2+2+2): Four Rakkah BEFORE DUHR's obligatory prayers (We also know that prophet (sws) performed all supra-obligatory prayer into sets of two (meaning he (sws) paryed two did his salam and then prayed two more to complete four). And TWO AFTER DUHR

3. ASR: Some say four (two sets of two) before Asr. But I have believe that is sunnah ghair mukkada (menaing the prophet sometimes did and otehr times he went without doing those four) . Also if we count these four sunnah then we come with a total greater than 12 total for the day..which will contradict the hadith I mentioned above.

4. MAGHRIB (2): TWO AFTER Maghrib.

5. ISH'AA (2): Two AFTER Ish'aa

Therefore Fajr (2) + [Duhr((2+2)+2)] + Maghrib(2) + Isha (2)

If you add them up, not including two for salat al Duha (not Duhr) or four before Asr we get 12 total as the hadith mentuions.

Of Course any additional salat is good for us. Specially, prayers late at night or early morning (Tahhjud) has very very special since Allah subhanhu wa ta'la comes down to the sky closest to teh earth and ask... is there anyoen who need to ask me anything?

May Allah make it easy for you to make your prayers beautiful and befitting to the Glory of Allah. Do NOT forget us in your prayers too.

was salamu alaikum wa rahmatullah

some relevant hadith on supraobligatory prayers:

Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Number 461:
Narrated Nafi':

Ibn 'Umar said, "While the Prophet was on the pulpit, a man asked him how to offer the night prayers. He replied, 'Pray two Rakat at a time and then two and then two and so on, and if you are afraid of the dawn (the approach of the time of the Fajr prayer) pray one Rak'a and that will be the witr for all the Rakat which you have offered." Ibn 'Umar said, "The last Rakat of the night prayer should be odd for the Prophet ordered it to be so.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Number 466:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "The prayer offered in congregation is twenty five times more superior (in reward) to the prayer offered alone in one's house or in a business center, because if one performs ablution and does it perfectly, and then proceeds to the mosque with the sole intention of praying, then for each step which he takes towards the mosque, Allah upgrades him a degree in reward and (forgives) crosses out one sin till he enters the mosque. When he enters the mosque he is considered in prayer as long as he is waiting for the prayer and the angels keep on asking for Allah's forgiveness for him and they keep on saying: 'O Allah! Be Merciful to him, O Allah! Forgive him, as long as he keeps on sitting at his praying place and does not pass wind. (See Hadith No. 620).

Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Number 434:
Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah:

I went to the Prophet in the mosque (the sub-narrator Mas'ar thought that Jabir had said, "In the forenoon.") He ordered me to pray two Rakat. He owed me some money and he repaid it to me and gave more than what was due to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Number 435:
Narrated Abu Qatada Al-Aslami:

Allah's Apostle said, "If anyone of you enters a mosque, he should pray two Rakat before sitting."

acedoc

Jazak Alha khairan for posting the haidth that I could not find

Mash'a Allah Br. GlobalPeace beat me to the punch.

Jzak Allah Khairan akhi for posting the hadith I could not find in time.

As the Quran says, "Compete with each other in doing good deed...".
this is an example of such deed. may Allah rewrad you brother.

bemuslim

FIQH AL SUNNAH

SALAM ALAIKUM
BARAKA ALLAH FIKA WA FI AMTALIKA.MAY ALLAH BLESS U AND THOSE LOKE U
Shall I not inform you of the best of your deeds, the most sanctified in the sight of your Lord, that raises your ranks and that is better for you than spending in gold and money and better for you than meeting your enemy, striking their necks and them striking your necks?" They said, "Certainly [tell us]." He said, "It is dhikr (the remembrance of Allah).". [Recorded by Al-Tirmidhi. Sahih by al-Albani. Muhammad Naasir al-Deen al-Albani, Sahih al-Jaami al-Sagher, vol. 1, p. 612]

Recorded by Al-Tirmidhi. Sahih by al-Albani. Muhammad Naasir al-Deen al-Albani, Sahih al-Jaami al-Sagher, vol. 1, p. 612]

Volume 4, Page 103: Excellence of Tasbih, Tahmid, Tahlil, Takbir and Other Supplications

Abu Hurairah reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "There are two phrases that are light on the tongue but heavy on the scale of rewards and are dear to (Allah) the Gracious One. These are, subhanallah wa bi-hamdihi (All Glory is to Allah and all Praise to Him), and subhanallah al-azim (Glorified is Allah, the Great).'' (Muslim, Bukhari, and Tirmizhi) Abu Hurairah also reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "I love repeating subhanallah, wal-hamdulillah, wa la-ilaha ill-Allah, wa-Allahu akbar (Glorified is Allah, all praise is due to Allah, and there is no God but Allah, Allah is the greatest) more than all that the sun shines upon.'' (Muslim and Tirmizhi)

Abu Zharr reported, "the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, 'Shall I tell you the words that Allah loves the most?' I said, 'Yes, tell me, O Messenger of Allah.' He said, 'The words most dear to Allah are subhan-Allah wa bihamdihi (Glorified is Allah with all praise due to Him)'." This is narrated by Muslim and Tirmizhi. In Tirmizhi's version, we also find the following: "The words most dear to Allah which He has chosen for His angels are subhana Rabbi wa bihamdihi, subhana Rabbi wa bihamdihi (Glorified is my Lord with all praise due to Him, Glorified is my Lord with all praise due to Him)."

Jabir reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "Whoever says Subhan-Allah-al-Azim wa bihamdihi (Glorified is Allah, the Great, with all praise due to Him), will have a palm tree planted for him in Paradise.'' (Reported by Tirmizhi who considers it a sound hadith.)

Abu Sa'id reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "Perform the enduring goods deeds more frequently." The asked, "What are these enduring deeds?" The Prophet, peace be upon him, replied, At-Takbir, (Saying Allahu akbar i.e., Allah is the greatest) At-Tahlil, (Saying la ilaha ill-Allah, i.e., there is no god but Allah) At-Tasbih, (Saying subhan-Allah meaning, Exalted and far removed is Allah from any weakness) al-hamdu li-Allah, (This means: All praise belongs to Allah alone) and la hawla wala quwwata illa billah. (There is no power nor any authority except with the permission of Allah) This is reported by An-Nasa'i and Al-Hakim, who consider its chain of authorities sound.

Abdallah reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "During the Night Journey I met Ibrahim who said to me, 'O Muhammad, convey my greetings to your ummah, and tell them that the Paradise is of pure land, its water is sweet, and its expanse is vast, spacious and even. And its plants are Subhan-Allah, wal-hamdulillah, wala ilah illallah, wa-Allahu akbar'.''

Samura ibn Jundab reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "The dearest phrases to Allah are four: Subhan Allah, (Glorified is Allah), al-Hamdulillah (All praise be to Allah), Wa la ilaha ill-Allah (There is no God but Allah), and Allah-o-Akbar (Allah is the Greatest). There is no harm in beginning them in any order you choose while remembering Allah.'' (Muslim)

Abu Mas'ud reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "If anyone recites the last two verses of Surat al-Baqarah, they will suffice for him,'' (Bukhariand Muslim) that is, these two verses will bring him a reward equivalent to that of a night prayer, and will safeguard him from any hurt during that night. Ibn Khuzaimah in his Sahih has also mentioned it under the chapter "The Recitation of the Qur'an Equivalent in Reward to a Night Prayer."

Abu Sa'id reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, asked, "Can anyone of you recite a third of the Qur'an during the night?" The Companions considered this rather difficult and they said, "Who among us can do so, O Prophet of Allah?" Thereupon the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "(Say:) He is Allah, the One and Only; Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; He begetteth not, nor is he begotten; and there is none like unto Him.'' (The reference here is to recitation of Surah 112 (Suratul Ikhlas) of the Qur'an, which the Prophet, peace be upon him, described as equivalent to reciting one-third of the Qur'an. This hadith is reported by Bukhari, Muslim, and Nasa'i)

Abu Hurairah reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "Whoever says, 'La llaha illa-Allahu wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahul-mulku wa lahul-hamd wa huwa 'ala kulli shai'in qadir' a hundred times during a day will have a reward equivalent to the reward for freeing ten slaves. Besides, a hundred good deeds will be recorded for him and a hundred bad deeds of his will be wiped off, and it will be a safeguard for him from Satan that day until evening, and no one will be better in deeds than such a person except he who does more than that.'' (Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmizhi, Nasa'i, and Ibn Majah) In the version of Muslim, Tirmizhi, and Nasa'i, we find this addition: "And whoever says subhan Allah wa bi-hamdihi a hundred times during a day, will have all his sins wiped off even if they were as numerous as the foam on the surface of the sea."

Volume 4, Page 105: Excellence of Istighfar

Anas reported that he heard the Prophet, peace be upon him, saying that Allah says, "O son of Adam, whatever you asked Me and expect from Me I forgave - respecting that which you owed to Me - and I don't care [how great this was]. O Son of Adam, even if your sins pile up to the sky and then you seek My forgiveness I will forgive you, and O son of Adam, even if you have an earthful of sins but you meet Me without associating any other thing with Me I will forgive you.' (Reported by Tirmizhi, who considers it a hasan sahih hadith)

Abdallah b. 'Abbas said, "If one supplicates without fail for forgiveness from Allah, He finds a way out for him to get out of every distress and difficulty, and gives him sustenance through ways utterly unthought of.'' (Reported by Abu Daw'ud, Nasa'i, Ibn Majah, and Al-Hakim, who says its chain of authorities is sound.)

Volume 4, Page 105a: Some Comprehensive Forms of Zhikr

Juwairiyah (One of the wives of the Prophet, peace be upon him) reported that one day the Prophet, peace be upon him, left her apartment in the morning as she was busy observing her dawn prayer in her place of worship. He came back in the forenoon and she was still sitting there. The Prophet, peace be upon him, said to her, "You have been in the same place since I left you?" She said, "Yes." Thereupon the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "I recited four words three times after I left you and if these were to be weighed against what you have recited since morning these would outweigh them, and these words are: Subhanallah wa bihamdihi 'adada khalqihi wa rida' nafsihi wa zinata 'arshihi wa midada kalimatihi (hallowed be Allah and praise is due to Him to the extent of the number of His creation and to the extent of His pleasure and to the extent of the weight of His Throne and to the extent of ink used in recording words for His Praise).'' (Reported by Muslim and Abu Daw'ud)

Sa'd ibn Abu Waqqas reported that once the Prophet, peace be upon him, saw a woman who had some date-stones or pebbles which she was using as beads to glorify Allah. The Prophet, peace be upon him, said to her, "Let me tell you something which would be easier and more excellent for you than that." So he told her to say instead Subhan-Allah 'adada ma khalaqa fil-ard wa subhan Allah 'adada ma khalaqa bayna zhalika wa subhan-Allah 'adada ma huwa khaliq wa Allahu akhar mithla zhalik wa la ilaha illa-Allahu mithla zhalik wa la hawla wa la quwwata illa mithla zhalik (Glory be to Allah as many times as the number of what He has created in Heaven, Glory be to Allah as many times as the number of what He has created on Earth, Glory be to Allah as many times as the number of what He has created between them, Glory be to Allah as many times as the number of that which He is creating, Allah is the most great a similar number of times, praise be to Allah a similar number of times, and There is no god but Allah a similar number of times, and there is no might and no power except with Allah a similar number of times).'' (Reported by the Compilers of the Sunan and Al-Hakim, who says it is a sound hadith according to the criterion of Muslim)

Ibn 'Umar reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, told them, "A servant of Allah said 'My Lord! All praise is for You as much as Your Glory and Sublime Majesty rightly deserve. ' This was too much for the two angels to record. They did not know how to record it. So they soared to the heaven and said, 'Our Lord! Your servant has said something which we don't know how to record?' Allah asked them--and, of course, He knew what the servant had said--'What did My servant say?' They said, 'He has said, "My Lord! All praise is for You as much as Your Glory and Sublime Majesty rightly deserve." Allah said to them, ' Write it down as My servant has said until he should meet Me and I reward him for it'.' (Reported by Ahmad and Ibn Majah)

Volume 4, Page 106: Counting on One's Fingers is Better than Counting Beads

Yusairah reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, commanded them (the emigrant women) to be regular in remembering Allah by saying, "Allah is the most great," "Glory be to Allah, the Holy," and "There is no God but Allah," and never to be forgetful of Allah and His Mercy, and to count them on their fingers, for the fingers will be questioned and will speak. (Reported in the Sunan and by Al-Hakim with a sound chain of authorities)

Abdallah b. 'Amr b. al-'As reported, "I saw the Prophet, peace be upon him, counting the glorifications of Allah on his right hand's fingers.'' (Reported in the Sunan)

Volume 4, Page 107: Warning Against Sitting in Company Where Allah is Not Mentioned and Blessings on His Prophet are Not Invoked

Abu Hurairah reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "If peopie sit in an assembly in which they do not remember Allah nor invoke a blessing on the Prophet, it will be a cause of grief for them on the Day of Judgment." This is reported by Tirmizhi, who says it is a sound hadith.

In the version of Ahmad, however, we read, "If people sit in an assembly in which they do not remember Allah, it will be a cause of sorrow for them, and if a man is walking and does not remember Allah, it will be a cause of sorrow for him, and if a man lies down on his bed and does not remember Allah, it will be a cause of sorrow for him." Another version says, "It will be a sorrow for them, even if they are given Paradise in reward."

The author of Fath al-'Allam says, "This hadith proves that it is incumbent on one to remember Allah and invoke blessings on the Prophet while sittmg in an assembly, for whether we take the words 'cause of grief or sorrow' to mean torment of fire or any other chastisement, obviously a punishment is incurred only when an obligatory act is neglected or a forbidden act is committed, and here it is both the remembrance of Allah and the invoking of blessings on His Prophet that are apparently incumbent."

Volume 4, Page 107a: Atonement for Sitting in an Assembly

Abu Hurairah reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "If anyone sits in an assembly where there is much clamor and says before getting up to leave, Subhanaka Allahumma wa bihamdika, ashadu an-la illaha illa-anta, astaghfiruka wa atubu ilayka (Glory be to You, O Allah, and I begin with declaring all praise is due to You, I testify that there is no god but You; I ask Your pardon and turn to You in repentance), he will be forgiven any sin that he might have committed while in that assembly. (Tirmizhi and Al-Baihaqi, (Kitab ad-D'wat Al-kabir))

Volume 4, Page 107b: Atonement for Backbiting

It is related that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "The atonement for backbiting [and slander] is to pray for forgiveness of the person who was slandered and to say, 'O Allah, forgive us and him'."

The preferable course in this regard is to pray for forgiveness of the person who was the target of the slander and to mention his good qualities. This will wipe off the effects of such backbiting, and it is not necessary to announce such a thing.

TAKEN FROM

Fiqh-us-Sunnah was written by Sayyid Saabiq (1915-2000 C.E.), may Allaah have mercy on him. The following information is taken from his obituary in the March 2, 2000 Daily News of IANA Radionet.

"...Sabiq's most famous book was the three-volume Fiqh As-Sunnah, which in the first writing of its kind brought the four major madhahib together, in a comprehensive treatment of Fiqh matters. The book has since been translated into dozens of languages and is used by Muslims throughout the world. Sabiq wrote Fiqh As-Sunnah in the 1940s when he was only 30 years old. He wrote the book at the request of Ustadh Hassan al-Banna, the founder of the Muslim Brotherhood. Every Fiqh ruling in the book goes back to the Qur'an and Sunnah and Sabiq dealt with all four madhahib objectively, with no preferential treatment to any. Sabiq also wrote the book, "Islamic Theology," along the same lines: simplification and avoidance of overphilosophization or getting involved in disputes on arcane topics. Besides his academic work, Sabiq was a noted Islamic activist. After writing Fiqh As-Sunnah, Sabiq spent some time fighting along with the Mujahideen in Palestine in the late 1940's and he later visited most countries in the world and lectured in their mosques. He was the first graduate of Azhar to visit the Soviet Union and check on the conditions of Muslims there. Sabiq was born in 1915 in the Egyptian village, Istanha. He received his education at Al-Azhar and after his graduation worked as the Director of Mosques and Islamic Education in the Egyptian Islamic Affairs Ministry. He also taught at Al-Azhar, and later moved to Saudi Arabia, where he headed the Shari'a Graduate Studies Department in Um Al-Qura University. After moving back to Egypt, he spent years teaching students in a Mosque in Cairo..."
In the early 1990's, Fiqh-us-Sunnah was translated into English by a group of people commissioned by American Trust Publications. The translators included Muhammad Sa'eed Dabas, Jamal al-Din M. Zarabozo, Abdul-Majid Khokhar, and M. S. Kayani. This group published Fiqh-us-Sunnah in five volumes which form the basis for this online edition. MSA-USC obtained the "raw" electronic data from the Al Muhaddith project, and converted this data into Web-ready format. A similar effort may be found at Islamic Resources Repository (IRR) by the DEED group at the International Islamic University, Malaysia.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/fusintro.html

bemuslim

GOOD IDEA

SALAM ALIKUM

IF U WANT TO MAKE SURE VISIT http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/fusintro.html

LOOK AT THE TABLE OF CONTENTS AND CHOOSE WHAT EVER U WANT TO KNOW

Table of Contents
Volume 1: Purification and Prayer
Purification
Ablution (Wudu')
Ghusl, the complete ablution
Tayammum, the dry ablution
Menstruation
Prayer
Azhan, call to prayer
Prerequisites of the Prayer
Obligatory acts of prayer
Sunnah acts of prayer

Volume 2: Supererogatory Prayer
Supererogatory Prayers
Nonstressed Sunnah Prayers (As-Sunan Ghair Al-Mu'akkadah)
The Witr Prayer
The Late Night Prayer, tahajjud (qiyam al-Layil)
The Special Prayers during the Month of Ramadan (Tarawih)
The Duha prayer
Salatul Istikharah
Salatul Tasbih
Salatul Hajah, the prayer for need
Salatul Taubah, the prayer of penitence
Salatul Kasuf, prayer of the solar and lunar eclipse
Salatul Istisqa, prayer for rain
The Prostration During the Qur'anic Recitation
The Prostration of Thankfulness (Sajdat ush-Shukr)
Prostrations of forgetfulness during the prayer
Congregational Prayer
The Mosques
Places where offering prayer is prohibited
The Sutrah or partition in front of one who is praying
What is allowed during the prayer
Actions which are disliked during the prayer
Actions which invalidate the Salah
Making (Qada') for missed salah
The prayer of a person who is ill (Salatul Marid)
The prayer during times of fear or danger (Salatul Khauf)
The prayer of a traveler
Combining two prayers
Salatul Jumu'ah (the Friday Prayer)
Id prayers (Salatul 'Idain)

Volume 3: Zakaat and Fasting
Zakah in Islamic Jurisprudence
Monetary holdings subject to zakah
Zakah on plants and fruit
Zakah on Animals
Zakah on Buried Treasure and Precious Minerals
Zakah on Wealth Extracted from the Sea
The Recipients of Zakah
Zakat ul-Fitr
Zakat ut-Tatawwu or Voluntary Sadaqah
Fasting (As-siyam)
The Fast of Ramadan
The Forbidden Days to Fast
Voluntary Fasts
The Manners of Fasting
Acts That are Permissible During the Fast
Actions that Void the Fast
Making Up Missed Days of Ramadan
Night of Qadr
I'tikaf or Seclusion in the Mosque

Volume 4: Funerals and Dhikr
Sickness, Expiation of Sins
Contemplation of death and preparation for it by good deeds
Al-Kafan (The Shroud)
Funeral Prayers (Salatul Janazah)
Burial
Azh-zhikr (remembrance of Allah)
Supplications

Volume 5: Hajj and 'Umrah
Pilgrimage: a general definition, its excellence and prerequisites
The ability to perform hajj - what does it imply?
The hajj of the Prophet (peace be upon him)
Mawaquit: Fixed Times and Places For Ihram
Ihram
Talbiyah
What is permitted to a Muhrim
Restrictions of Ihram
Killing a game in the state of Ihram
Sacred precincts of Makkah and Madinah (Haram Makkah wa Madinah)
Tawaf or Circumambulation around Ka'bah
Sa'i between Safa and Marwah
Staying at Mina and Arafat
Umrah

Sponsored

acedoc

Supererogatory salat

Jazak Allah kairan borther Fiqh Sunnah is a good Book and this cahpter on Supererogatory Prayers

is very relevant for all brotehrs and sisters to study

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/fus2_11.html

Here is an excerpt from that Chapter:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fiqh-us-Sunnah, Volume 2: Supererogatory Prayers
Introduction to Fiqh-us-Sunnah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top | Prev | Next

Volume 2, Page 1a: Their significance
At-tatawwu', or nawafil or supererogatory prayers, have been legislated to make up for any deficiencies left in the performance of fard salah (obligatory prayers). In salah, there are virtues that are not found in any other form of worship. Abu Hurairah reports that the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam said: "The first thing that the people will be called to account for on the Day of Resurrection will be the prayers. Our Lord will say to the angels although He knows better: 'Look into the salah of my servant to see if he observed it perfectly or been negligent in it. So if he observed it perfectly it will be recorded to his credit, but if he had been negligent in it in any way, Allah would say: See if My servant has any supererogatory prayers. Then if he has any supererogatory prayers, Allah would say: Make up the deficiency in My servant's obligatory prayer with his supererogatory prayers.' Thereafter all his actions will be examined in like manner" (Abu Dawud).

Abu Umamah narrates that the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam said: "Allah does not listen to anything from His slave as He does to the two rak'at (of prayer) that he offers. Mercy descends over the servant's head as long as he remains in prayer" (Ahmad and at-Tirmizhi). As-Sayuti grades it sahih. In al-Muwatta', Malik says: "It has reached me that the Prophet said: '(Try to) keep to the straight path although you won't be able to do so completely; and know that the best of your deeds is the salah, and only a (true) believer preserves his wudu.'" Muslim records from Rabi'ah ibn Malik al-Aslami that the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam said: "Ask (anything)." Rabi'ah said: "I ask of you to be your companion in paradise." The Prophet said: "Or anything else?" Rabi'ah said: "That is it." The Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam said to him: "Then help me by making many prostrations (i.e., supererogatory prayers)."

Volume 2, Page 2: Offering Supererogatory Prayers in One's House
Ahmad and Muslim relate from Jabir that the Messenger of Allah said: "If one of you offers his prayers in the Mosque then he should make a portion of his prayers in his house, as Allah has made his prayers in his house a means of betterment (for him)."

Ahmad records from 'Umar that the Messenger of Allah said: "The nawafil salah of a man in his house are a light; whoever wishes should lighten up his house."

'Abdullah ibn 'Umar reports that the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam said: "Make some of your prayers in your houses and do not turn your houses into graves." This statement is related by Ahmad and Abu Dawud. Abu Dawud records from Zaid ibn Thabit on sound authority that the Messenger of Allah said: "A person's salah in his house is better than his salah in my mosque, except for the fard salah."

These hadith prove that it is preferred to say one's nawafil prayers in one' s house since prayers in one ' s house are better than those that he performs in the mosque. An-Nawawi says: "The Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam encouraged one to offer nawafl in one's house because then the prayers are more private and will have less of a chance of being done for show and will be free from defects that vitiate good deeds. Furthermore, this will be a blessing for the house as mercy and angels will descend on it while Satan flees from it."

Volume 2, Page 2a: Supererogatory prayers, their Elongation
It is preferred to prolong the reciting by making many rak'at. The group, except for Abu Dawud, reports that al-Mughirah ibn Shu'bah said: "The Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam would stand and pray until his feet or shanks swelled. When he was asked about it, he said: 'Should I not be a thankful slave?"' Abu Dawud records from 'Abdullah ibn Hubshi al-Khath'ami that the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam was asked: "What is the best deed?" He said: "Prolonging the qiyam; (standing) [in the prayer]." Then it was asked: "What is the best charity?" He replied: "The sacrifice made by one who has little to give." Then it was asked: "What is the best migration?" He responded: "The migration from what Allah has forbidden." Then it was asked: "What is the best jihad?" He replied: "Whoever strives against the polytheists with his wealth and soul." They asked: "What is the most honorable death?" He answered: "He whose blood is spilled and whose horse is wounded."

Volume 2, Page 3: It is allowed to make supererogatory prayers while in julus (sitting)
It is acceptable for one to make nawafil while sitting even though he has the ability to stand. It is also acceptable for one to make part of such prayers sitting and part of them standing even if all of that is in one rak'ah, (i.e., one sits for part of the first rak'ah and then stands for the rest of it, or vice versa). All of that is acceptable without any dislike for it. One may sit in any manner one likes although it is preferable to sit cross-legged. Muslim records that 'Alqamah asked 'Aishah: "How did the Prophet perform two rak'at while sitting?" She replied: "He would recite while sitting and then when he wished to make ruku', he would stand and bow." Ahmad, Abu Dawud, at-Tirmizhi, an-Nasa'i, and Ibn Majah record that she said: "I never saw the Messenger of Allah ever sitting while reciting during the night prayer until he became old, then he would sit until when about thirty or forty verses were left of his recital then he would stand, finish the recital and make ruku'..."

Volume 2, Page 3a: Different Types of Nawafil
Nawafil may be divided into two types: general and specific prayers. The nawafil are said to be those prayers which are in addition to the fard salah, as prayed by the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam.

An-Nawawi says: "If one decides to make nawafil prayers and he does not make any intention concerning the number [of rak'at] he shall make, then he may end the prayer after one rak'ah or make it two rak'at or increase it to three or one hundred or one thousand, and so forth. If he prays a number of [rak'at], without knowing how many, and then ends the prayer his salah will still be valid." There is no difference of opinion on this. The Shaf'iyyah are in agreement with it and there is a text attributed to ash-Shaf'i on this point.

Al-Baihaqi records with a chain of narrators, that Abu Zharr prayed many rak'at and then concluded his salah. Al-Ahnaf ibn Qais asked him: "Do you know if you finished on an odd or an even number?" He replied: "Even if I do not know, Allah knows. I heard my friend Abu al-Qasim say: 'No slave makes a sajdah to Allah without Allah raising him a degree and wiping out one of his sins due to it."' This is related by ad-Darimi in his Musnad with a sahih chain, but it should be noted that there is a difference of opinion over the integrity of one of its narrators.

The specific nawafil prayers are referred to as al-sunan ar-ratibah, or the sunnah prayers that have a specific order, number, and so on. These include the sunnah prayers of fajr, zuhr, 'asr, maghrib, and 'isha.

Volume 2, Page 4: The Two rak'at of Fajr
There are a number of hadith that state the virtues of observing the sunnah prayer at dawn time. For example: 'Aishah relates that the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam said about the two rak'at before the fajr "They are dearer to me than the whole world." This is related by Ahmad, Muslim, and at-Tirmizhi. Abu Hurairah reports that the Prophet said: "Do not leave the two rak'at of the fajr, even if you are being attacked by a cavalry." This is confirmed by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, al-Baihaqi, and at-Tahawi. The message of the hadith is that one should not leave the two rak'at of the fajr no matter what the excuse, even while under enemy attack or under most trying conditions. 'Aishah says: "The Messenger of Allah was not so particular about observing any supererogatory prayer as he was in observing the two rak'at before salatul fajr." This is related by al-Bukhari, Muslim, Ahmad, and Abu Dawud. She also reports that the Prophet said: "The two rak'at of the fajr are better than this world and all it contains." This is reported by Ahmad, Muslim, at-Tirmizhi, and an-Nasa'i. Ahmad and Muslim also record that she said: "I have never seen him [the Prophet] more in haste to do a good deed than he was to perform the two rak'at before the morning [prayer]."

Volume 2, Page 4a: To Make Them Quickly
It is well-known that the Prophet would make a very short recital in the two rak'at before the dawn. Hafsah reports: "The Prophet would pray the two rak'at of fajr before the dawn in my house and he would make it very quick." Naf'i states: "Abdullah [Ibn 'Umar] would also make it very quickly." This is related by Ahmad, al-Bukhari, and Muslim. 'Aishah narrates: "The Prophet would pray the two rak'at before the dawn prayer in my house so quickly that I wondered if he had recited the Fatihah in them or not." This is related by Ahmad and others. She also said: "When the Prophet prayed the two rak'at before the dawn prayer I estimated the time that he took in recital was like what it takes to recite al-Fatihah. This is related by Ahmad, an-Nasa'i, al-Baihaqi, Malik, and at-Tahawi. It is preferred to recite what has been related from the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam: 'Aishah reports that the Prophet would silently recite the following in the two rak'at before salatul fajr

"Say: O disbelievers," and "Say: He is Allah, the One."

This is related by Ahmad and at-Tahawi. He would recite them after al-Fatihah as there is no prayer without the recital of al-Fatihah, as we have already discussed. She also reports that the Prophet said: "These are the two most blessed surahs," and he would recite them in the two rak'at before salatul fajr. This is related by Ahmad and Ibn Majah. Jabir relates that a man stood to pray the two rak'at before the dawn prayer and recited "Say: O disbelievers!" in the first rak'ah until he finished the surah. The Prophet said: "That slave knows his Lord." In the second rak'ah he recited: "Say: He is Allah, the One"...to the end of the surah. The Prophet said: "That slave (of Allah) believes in his Lord." Talhah said: "I love to recite these two surahs in these two rak'at." This is related by Ibn Hayyan and at-Tabarani. Ibn 'Abbas reports that the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam would recite the following in the two rak'at before the dawn prayer: "Say: We believe in Allah and what has been revealed to us,"' and from surah al-Imran, 'Come to common terms as between us and you.' This is related by Muslim.