Prostrate.

Yousuf.

:salam2:
Brothes and Sisters.
I have a qn, how do we perform the sujud tilawah, or the prostration when you come across certain Ayats in the Qur'an, eg Surah Sajadah, when ure sitting down and reciting? and what do we have to read or recite when we are performing the prostration?

jazakaAllah.

Almeftah

Sujud At-Tilaawah (Qur’an Recital Prostration) according to Shafi’i Fiqh

In Shahih Muslim if i'm not mistaken, 'Sajadalaka (I prostrated to thee) wajhiya lilladzii khalaqahu (my face to who has created it) wa syaqqa sam'ahu wa basharahu (and who split the hearing and the sight) fa tabakarallahu 'ahsanal khaliqin (so remain bless Allah the only good Creator). The way is the same as the ordinary prostration.

Its evidence

Ibn `Umar (Radhiya Allāhu ‘Anhu) narrated: “That the Prophet (Sallallāhu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) used to read Qur’ān, and when he would read a Surah which contained a prostration, he would prostrate and we would prostrate with him so that some of us could not find a place for their forehead.”1

Its legal Status

It is Sunnah for one who is reciting Qur’ān whether or not in prayer, for one who is listening to Qur’ān recital, even if the one reciting does not perform it, and for one who hears Qur’ān recital, though it is more confirmed for the first two than the last.

It is obligatory for one who is praying behind an imām if the imām performs it, and it is obligatory not to perform it if the imām does not, otherwise one’s prayer becomes invalid, because the Qur’ān recital prostration is Sunnah whereas following the imām is obligatory as will be explained in the chapter of congregational prayer. If one reads a verse that contains a Qur’ān recital prostration for the purpose of prostrating during prayer, one’s prayer is invalid.
One does not prostrate for reciting a prostration verse if the one reading is sleeping, drunk, or absentminded because in these cases one has no intention of recital. The same is true if one is in a state of major hadath because his recital is unlawful, or if one hears Qur’ān recital from a radio or tape recorder, because that is the recording of the recital not the recital itself.

Its conditions

These are the same as the conditions of prayer’s validity that have been explained earlier.

Its time

The time of Qur’ān recital begins as soon as one finishes reciting a prostration ayah. If the prostration is delayed by more than it takes to perform two rak`at, its time is over and it cannot be made up. If one reads a prostration ayah in prayer and does not prostrate, one can prostrate after finishing with salam if the interlude is short. If the reader or listener is in a state of major hadath while reading or listening, then if he purifies himself within a short time, he can prostrate, otherwise the prostration is missed and cannot be made up.

Repetition of the prostration of Qur’ān recital

The Qur’ān recital prostration should be repeated every time one reads a prostration ayah even if in the same sitting, or same rak`ah. However, if it is the same prostration ayah that is repeated in the same sitting, then one prostration is sufficient.

How to perform the prostration of Qur’ān recital

The Qur’ān recital prostration may be in, or out of, prayer. Its manner differs accordingly:

1. If the prostration is not in prayer then:

Its pillars are:

Making the intention (because it is an act of worship).

Performing the opening takbir while standing or sitting. Ibn `Umar (Radhiya Allāhu ‘Anhu) said: “The Messenger of Allāh (Sallallāhu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) used to read Qur’ān for us and when he would come across a prostration(verse) he would say ‘Allāhu akbar’ and prostrate, and we would prostrate with him.”2

Performing one prostration whose conditions are same as those of the prostration in prayer.

Making one salam without reading the testification of faith.
Its sunnahs are:

Saying the intention.

Raising the hands while saying the opening takbir.

Saying “Allāhu akbar” while moving down to prostrate, but it is not recommended to raise one’s hands in it.

To say in one’s prostration: “O Allāh, write it down for me with You as reward, increase by it my wealth, and erase by it my sin, and accept it from me as You accepted from Your servant Dawūd (`alayhis salam).” [70] Ibn `Abbās (Radhiya Allāhu ‘Anhu) narrated that: “A man came to the Prophet (Sallallāhu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) and said: ‘O, Messenger of Allāh, I had a dream that I was praying behind a tree, and I prostrated, and the tree prostrated at my prostration and I heard it saying: ‘O Allāh, write it down for me with You as reward, increase by it my wealth, and erase by it my sin, and accept it from me as You accepted from your servant Dawūd.’ Ibn `Abbās said: ‘The Prophet (Sallallāhu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) recited a prostration (verse) and prostrated, and I heard him saying what the man told him the tree said.’”3 When prostrating for Qur’ān recital, it is sufficient to say what one usually says when prostrating in prayer.

Saying “Allāhu akbar” when rising from prostration.

Making a second salam.

2. If the prostration is during one’s prayer:

In this case (Only if the Imam says Takbir for Sujud) both the one praying alone and the imām are to make the intention – though silently. One praying behind an imām is recommended to make the intention and is obligated to follow the imām. One who is praying need not say the opening takbir before prostrating for Qur’ān recital because he has said it at the beginning of one’s prayer, but is recommended for him to say “Allāhu akbar” when moving down to prostrate and when rising from it, without raising the hands. When one raises one’s head from the Qur’ān recital prostration one stands up and should not sit for resting, nor make salam, but he is obligated to stand upright because moving down to bowing from standing position is obligatory. After standing up, one is recommended to read some Qur’ān then bow.

The alternative to the prostration of Qur’ān recital

If one hears a prostration ayah, one may, as an alternative to prostrating whether or not he is able to prostrate (such as not being pure from both types of hadath), say: “Allāh is exalted above any limitation or imperfection. Praise be to Allāh. There is no god but Allāh. Allāh is Greatest.” (four times). [45]

----------------------------------------
Footnotes:

Muslim, Vol. 1, The Book of Mosques and Places of Prayer, Chapter 20/103.

Abu Dawūd, Vol. 1, The Book of Prayer, Chapter 333/1413

Al-Tirmidhī, Vol. 1, The Chapter of Prayer, Chapter 407/579

Source: http://seekingilm.com/archives/11

Yousuf.

:salam2:

thanks brothers for shedding light to my qn. really appreciate it clearing my doubts. :)