Pumpkin Butter

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
bd104152_1008_pumpkin_butt_xl.jpg

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds peeled, seeded, and diced sugar pie pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup turbinado sugar (also known as cane sugar or raw sugar)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • Pinch of salt
Directions
  1. Step 1
    In a stainless steel pot, combine pumpkin, sugar, brown sugar, and salt; bring to a simmer. (If using fresh pumpkin, stir until it's tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.)
  2. Step 2
    Continue simmering until the mixture starts to thicken, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a blender; blend until smooth. Return mixture to pot and heat for 10 minutes on low until it reaches desired thickness. Remove, cool, and serve.

Note: includes fiber and beta-carotene.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Jazakillahu khayran ukhti! Is this the same pumpkin butter they often mention in pumpkin cakes recipes?

Could it replace 'canned pumpkin'? Sorry I'm just looking for a good and easy gluten free pumpkin muffins/cake recipe and all the ones I've found (or most of them) list 'canned pumpkin'...

Jazakillahu khayran

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
In that recipe you can use as substitute of fresh pumpkin the same amount the canned pumpkin.

Unfortunately from my country I haven´t found canned pumpkin, so difficult to say is it different but as pumpkin butter is boiled (about 30 mins), it might be thicker in structure and by this way might be good for cakes as filling them.

I found one (looking quite cute one) pumpkin cup cake recipe you might like to try (with pumpkin puree). I send it to Special diet- thread.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
^^ Most of the cans don´t cause toxics to food (at least not here) but there might have food additives because it is industrially produced.

Yes I agree, food made by fresh ingredients is always the best choice.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Oh yes I agree with you! Have no idea how canned pumpkin looks like as I've been brought up on fresh pumpkin all my life and only when in season mashallah ;)

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Canned pumpkin is yucky. I once bought some canned pumpkin soup, I couldn't get past the first spoon and I wondered about the four other cans in the pantry :redface: ... But this spread sure looks good, minus all that sugar though, pumpkin is quite sweet itself.