Purdah

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
Which sisters here would go into full purdah if they had the choice?

And why?

Which brothers would prefer it if their wives were in full purdah?

And which brothers and sisters have wives/are wives who DO observe the full purdah?

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
I want to... just to spite Mr straw ;)
but seriously speaking i would if i didnt think it would cause me more harm than good...i gotta go to uni an stuff and theyd kick me out im sure, they let me wear hijab and thats what God requires of me.
if i do it i want to be able to keep doing it and not have to take it off at sum point so yes i would in a muslim country (is tht bad?)...
why? because i believe in the principle of hijab and full purdah is a higher level of adhering to the principle and we should always be striving to reach that higher level of faith shouldnt we?

zeneesha

~trini_muslimah~
:salam2:
I would like to go for full purdah one day, Insha Allah.
I'm not sure about all the reasons a woman should wear purdah, but I'd like to wear it because I absolutely adore it and I know I'll get more respect from society. I can't however wear it as yet because my job may not allow it, and even though, I know I'll have to fully make up my mind first.

Abu Eesaa

Servant Of Allah
Salaam,

Alhumdulliah my wife does observe purdah but I wished all of my MUSLIM sister would observe purdah.......
Inshallah may Allah guide us all......Ameen

SALAAM

ABU EESAA

dkhalifa

By purdah you mean niqaab right?

If so, i love the niqaab and i respect and adore all the women who wear it.

I do not know whats keeping me from taking this step..

Pray for me that Allah will grant me it sooon isA :)

Asalaamu Alikum :)

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Salaam,

Alhumdulliah my wife does observe purdah but I wished all of my MUSLIM sister would observe purdah.......
Inshallah may Allah guide us all......Ameen

SALAAM

ABU EESAA

:salam2:

:ma: brother well said.Ameen to your prayer bro..:SMILY139:

:wasalam: :hijabi:

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I meant purdah as in seclusion, i.e. the traditional sense

To answer to the above parameter mine would be "no." I am in medical school and Inshallah will one day will be a physician. Full purdah would prevent me from treating sick people, a practice which I believe Allah has guided me towards. I look towards the practice of the Muslimahs during the Prophet's (pbuh) as what is acceptable. Women often nursed the wounded Muslims back to health after being wounded. Aamirah even stood over the Prophet (pbuh) when he was wounded and protected him...I don't think she would have been able to do this if in seclusion.

The wives of the Prophet (pbuh) also taught other Muslims when they came asking about the Prophet's acts and teachings...something they could not have done if in seclusion.

Wasalaam.

~Sarah

Ling

Yes, i would like to go into full purdah, seclusion and all, if I was able ie if my husband could support me financially and if I had supportive family members. As it is, I have to work so purdah and hijab are both not possible. Family members on both sides are also not supportive.

learnermuslim

Assalaam Alaikum,

Just wanted to say I totally agree with Sister ShyHijabi's posting and for my own part, logically, no I would not want my wife to be in purdah.

Just look at History, especially the Ottoman period and from the region and family background I come from, Purdah was observed and let me tell you, it did not increase Islamic values; in most cases the opposite, if it did/had I would have supported it.

However, if a sister does, did want to or would like to observe it, would not stand in her way or lower my view of her. It's a free Universe and personal choice.

Fi amanAllah